Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams
View Poll Results: Which is your pick
EFI Live
41.77%
HP Tuners
53.16%
LS1 Edit
5.06%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

EFI Live vs HP tuners vs LS1 Edit

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2005, 03:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Edit still takes longer to flash than hpt. I don't know about everyone else, but time is money in my world. Plus, I've never replaced a pcm on anything, and I know of several burnt computers from edit. I have no experience with efilive, therefore I cannot make any comment pro or con, other than to say that they were not available when I first encountered tuning needs.
Old 06-30-2005, 01:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 99Silver5.3
Hey man. It works, like it or not. Ive been on this board for a long time and Missouri F-Body and I have yet to see somebody who fried a PCM. Im still on my ORIGINAL PCM. Thats right. I bought Edit way way before HPT was a twinkle in someones eye. Thus im not gonna drop another $500 bucks just to get another setup when Edit works fine. What software do you have? PP3 doesnt count. Have you actually used any of these packages to tune anything? Or have you based your insight on what you have read on the net? Just curious.

Im glad its working for you.

Yes I have used HPT, as well as Edit. My current tune is my own, done with HPT.

I have been using EFILive for a few weeks now.

Thats what I based my opinion on.
Old 07-02-2005, 10:08 PM
LS1 Tech Veteran

I have EFILive with FlashScan and it is an awesome system. The tuning and scanning software along with the FlashScan hardware interface work like a hand in a glove, seamlessly. The tune compare features, helpful explanations for each parameter that can be tuned and hypertext cross references to other related parameters are excellent. The search feature of the tuner is a huge help. It goes without saying that the scanning software is without equal.

All my best,

Steve
Old 07-03-2005, 12:29 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Eye-P
Edit has a nasty habit of frying PCM's.
Edit CAN NOT recover bad flashes.
Edit does not offer custom O/S's.
Edit does not have a decent scanner.

I am not sure if you can use wideband with Edit or not.

Oh, and the layout sucks.
you left out:

have to pay for updates

is slow

can't copy/paste anything
Old 07-03-2005, 03:40 AM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was an Edit user since it first hit the market a few years back. At that time, it was the only custom product. Too bad they haven't made any progress since then. I waited over two years for them to figure out the 03+ model truck tuning problems, and they never have. Carputing recently wanted me to pay for upgrades to my 03 software thats not even fully functional. They can't figure it out and get it right, but still want me to pay the upgrade fee. BS! It served its purpose well in the past, but has been completely surpassed in features and quality by both EFI and HPT.

I've been using EFI for 5 months now. Its GREAT. So much better than Edit. As Steve said, the scanning is without equal. It works consistently and its reliable. I would absolutely spend the money on it again. I used the EFI Live product to scan and log for a couple of years, and can say without a doubt its the best. There are so many tuning features available for my truck that Edit didn't have access to. When I first went through my PCM, I couldn't believe how much control I had over it. Edit was so restrictive in comparison. Adding additional tuning licenses can be done over the net. Edit required you to send it in and pay an additional handling fee on top of the license fee.

I don't own HPT, but I do think its a good product. I don't like the pay for upgrades scheme, since thats what Edit did. I've been hearing about 2-3bar tuning with HPT foe a long time now, but still haven't seen results. EFI was able to bring it out pretty quick since they had already been tuning that way in Australia for several years. I do like HPTs unlimited tuning for like make/model vehicles. From my limited use of the product, its got a pretty full feature set too.

Having used all three at some point, I still would choose EFI as my tuning package. I would definitely choose HPT over Edit every day of the week.
Old 07-03-2005, 06:47 AM
Formerly one92rs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

i had hptuners and a nelson tune. i could log and tweek things at will. but i thought that it would have been nice to be able to log more things. i think that if efi live can log all that it does in the scanning software and then be able to tune then that would be the ****. i guess the one nice thing on hptuners is i had 03 and 02 on mine. i could tune all 03 and 02 trucks. as many as i wanted.
Old 07-03-2005, 07:22 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man I Am Glad You'll Did This I Have Been Unable To Figure Out Witch Way To Hptuner,efi. I Can Get Efilive Realy Cheap And I Just Did Not Know Witch Was The Best.
Old 07-03-2005, 03:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

I use HPT..
Old 07-03-2005, 03:46 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ONE04FX4
i could tune all 03 and 02 trucks. as many as i wanted.
Isn't their software year AND model specific? You had it for an 02 Sierra, so you couldn't tune an 02 Silverado, correct?

With EFI, I can tune any LS1 based vehicle. In fact, I can load up any VIN or flash on my PCM and run it in a different vehicle under the same license. That would allow mw to sell my 03 truck and use the same PCM on a newer model truck or SUV if I desired.
Old 07-04-2005, 11:25 PM
LS1 Tech Veteran

I have the Commercial Version of EFILive with FlashScan which allows me to do a full flash of the operating system and I've done this (twice in fact). I switched over to a 2001 operating system in order to have access to all of the cells of the Main VE Table and eliminates the back up VE Table. Then I did a second full flash to a custom EFILive OS version which gives me more flexibility in setting up the high octane spark table to fully eliminate knock retard. The simultaneous logging of wideband O2 as a parameter is invaluable in setting up both the VE table and the MAF values as well as determining if you are getting knock retard due to a lean mixture or due to too much spark advance.

Steve

Quick Reply: EFI Live vs HP tuners vs LS1 Edit