Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams
View Poll Results: Which is your pick
EFI Live
41.77%
HP Tuners
53.16%
LS1 Edit
5.06%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

EFI Live vs HP tuners vs LS1 Edit

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 02:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Yep, that's pretty much it. Read this post if you haven't already, lots of info on the cost and what you get.

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...d.php?t=353764
Old 12-13-2005, 02:34 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool post..

I'm sure that both sides can agree that many things have changed for all of us since this post was created.

If you've noticed, we've updated our forum over the past weekend:
http://www.hptuners.com/forum/

Few things that we have added are Ford, Dodge, GM L4 I5 and I6 as well as duramax sections..

This is really public knowledge as we have announced the release of these platforms already, but a friendly reminder won't hurt.

For about the past 6 months or so we have been working on our newest product release, our new USB interface which will have support for GM, Ford and Dodge vehicles. This includes all the current vehicles we support, the LS2, LS7, Duramax, Mustangs, Hemi's, etc. etc... the works.

More and more shops switch over to HP Tuners due to the fact that we simply offer you more options..

We will probably start taking orders on our new hardware and the LS2 products around christmas time.. and the LS7 shortly after that.

One of the neatest things about our new setup is, if you have support for whatever your vehicle may be, you can still scan any vehicle we support, gm, ford and dodge. Another thing you will not find with other tuning packages.

Our software also has the most user friendly and up to date user interface you will find. Now, reading that statement from a third person POV can seem pretty bold... but we have a lot of screenshots up to prove it.

You can view them here:
http://www.hptuners.com/products.html

Our product simply gives you more for your dollar.

If you have any questions, please feel free to e-mail me.

- Keith, HP Tuners
Old 12-13-2005, 02:44 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Also, here are polls with the same question on other sites, to help you get a more general idea of what our customers think about our products:

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49002

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=415307

As you can see, customers are happy on both sides of the table... which makes your choices even harder...

So, just ask us some questions if you have any and we'll do what we can to help answer those for you to make sure you buy the right product for you.

- Keith, HP Tuners
Old 12-13-2005, 03:17 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I picked hpt & will stick with it because of

1. Their licensing
2. V6 tuning capabilities
3. Upcoming ford/chrysler/diesel tuning capabilities
4. Free Updates
5. Powerful fully customizable scanner
6. Great help files
7. Very user friendly
8. Their highest price personal unit is lower then efi's lowest price personal unit
9. Lower priced 1 bar OS
10. Competetively priced 2 bar OS
11. Also has an "auto tune" feature but with no spiffy nickname lol we just call it Speed density tuning
12. Soon to offer black box logging which will be able to scan other makes & models for no extra charge

alot of people bring up the custom OS's being free for efilive which ISN'T true...you pay $99 for each license and have to buy the commercial version to be able to program the 1/2/3 bar custom OS's on your own. Also after you've used 25 licenses you need to purchase a new unit which is another $699 or $850 out of pocket. I've tuned well over 25 cars now so I'd be in that boat. The free updates thing as well...hptuners has offered free updates if you bought your unit after mid October of 04' so they've offered this for over a year now.
Old 12-13-2005, 05:19 PM

I like the HPTuners license scheme way better
than EFILive because I work on other peoples'
cars with some regularity and have only a few
models I'm interested in - F-bodies, 'vettes and
trucks. If you wanted a low quantity, high mix
of model*year then EFILive might make more
sense. Individual VIN licenses are not that
expensive and you could charge the people who
use up your available slots but I can't rightly
remember how many local F-bodies I've touched
with my original '02 license anymore.

HPTuners licenses I have for trucks, let me do
'99 Sierra/Silverado and '04 Sierra/Silverado.
Where there is a Chevy/GMC or Chevy/Pontiac
"twin" they generally give you both, but if it's
a single-marque platform (like 'vette, Escalade,
etc.) then it's just the one.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:29 PM
10 Second Club

when I made my purchase I made some pretty hard comparisons...
I weighed price..features..liscensing..and ability to make my money back from use.
at the time of my purchase EFI had a better scanner...but that was it...
Liscensing was on HPT was way better...
both had 2 liscenses free with purchase..but EFI's 2 were 2 vehicle ID's(meaning 2 cars)
and HPT was 2 vehicle types(meaning every car for that type and year)..well that instantly make HPT also have better money recoup ability...IF there were 3000 LS1 camaros made in the year 2000..I could tune every one of them if I wanted to at no aditional charge...EFI wanted $99/liscense...
that meant that with EFI I would have to charge $99 for a $10 turn off my o2's problem.
price up fron wa less with HPT as well..to get the same "pro" features I would spend $850 for EFI or just $650 with HPT...
so now they have released 2.0
and teh scanner is completely up to par with EFI...and they still have all the other great features winning..
all of my friends are F-body's, vette's, and trucks for hauling tehir toys around....
I righ now do all the F-bodys...and I have several vettes ready for a tune so thats going to get added....which will bring more vette business..and several truck buddys wanting teh same also...so its a merry lfe...
right now I have tuned well over teh 25 car limit/cable for EFI....
hmm..EFI...
850 for program...99/car for the other 23......fill it up..have to spend another 850.....
it just doesnt add up nicely to me...almost $3200 just on the first cable
with HPT....$650 for initial...+200 for first 2 purchased liscences...+400 for each aditional....and I have the ability to tune all fbodys ever made for less than $1500...

and when I tune a car...I dont lose $99 of that money to buying the liscense...so I recoup money much quicker...with HPT..buy a liscens and make it all back in 1 or 2 tunes..and make money from it on ebery other car I tune.

its getting to a point that I might be able to just tune cars..a coule a week and I could just do tunes and nothing else...I dont think I could get there with EFI

now I am also a beta tester for HPT and get to see stuff and make suggestions before it comes out....

HPT is releasing USB with black box logging capability....and its not just 20 minutes...when I do the math it looks like you will be able to do more than an hour and a half easy..maybe even close to 2 hours of logging....!!!@@#$#%#!~~~~!!!!!!

also coming with the new hardware is Ford and Dodge support....
more horsepower toys...
one of my buddies has a 2000 camaro race car..that he hauls with his Hemi Truck..and guess what...he has been waitig on buying parts cause he didnt see a good tuning option fo rhim...and now he is ordering the parts he wants cause he wants me to tune him with HPT....
another buddy with a mustang doesnt want to spend money for SCT stuff cause he has already bought Hpt and will be geting the usb hardware and a mustang liscense for his pony.

Its just an easy choice to me..and more logical to me....
Old 12-14-2005, 06:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks to the experienced users of tuneing programs for posting. I, for one, certainly need your input before I spend that many $$. Appreciate it! Regards, JimS
Old 12-14-2005, 07:50 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by soundengineer
it just doesnt add up nicely to me...almost $3200 just on the first cable
with HPT....$650 for initial...+200 for first 2 purchased liscences...+400 for each aditional....and I have the ability to tune all fbodys ever made for less than $1500...

and when I tune a car...I dont lose $99 of that money to buying the liscense...so I recoup money much quicker...with HPT..buy a liscens and make it all back in 1 or 2 tunes..and make money from it on ebery other car I tune.

its getting to a point that I might be able to just tune cars..a coule a week and I could just do tunes and nothing else...I dont think I could get there with EFI

Every liscense you purchase with EFI you get an $80 credit that goes toward the unlimited workshop package. Once you have tuned 75 then another $1000 and you are unlimited on liscenses. EFI allows you to tune cars and trucks and Duramax, where HPT is vehicle specific I believe. I'm going with EFI live.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:23 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I'm not sure what you mean vehicle specific.

Our current interface, you can tune GM V8's and GM V6's... all with the same interface.

Our new interface, you can tune GM V8's, GM V6's, GM L4's, GM I5 and I6's, LS2's, LS7's, Ford and Dodge vehicles..

You can add as many different licenses from different makes and models to your one interface/software setup.

- Keith, HP Tuners
Old 12-14-2005, 11:39 PM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just want to know why a guy with a license for 2002 trucks 4.8,5.3, and 6.0 can't tune my Tahoe. What's the difference? Just a scam to make more sales? The PCM is the same correct? Suburbans?

Am I misinformed when I hear EFI will let me tune ANY 2002 Chevy/GMC 4.8,5.3,6.0 regardless of what body style is slapped on the frame?
I will never tune more than 25 cars/trucks.
I just want to do my current toy and be ready to do the next one which will be a 2005 something...and if a buddy wants help with his truck he just spends $99 to get the license, correct? How does HPT work in this situation?

Quick Reply: EFI Live vs HP tuners vs LS1 Edit