Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

EFiLive vs HPT ... owners of both, I need opinions

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 10:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you using the nelson or blackbear harness? When I did my install I initially had the fans come on as soon as i start the engine, but after about 10 or 15 starts it quit doing that.. I assumed it was part of the engine relearn process. When I was ready to purchase my harness I ended going to the blackbear one because more forum users reported less problems. After double check the wiring, like you did, I also checked carefully on reprogramming the PCM. Since I have an 04, it was easy to do. You have an earlier PCM and I ran across several threads on problems with the fans and most were able to get it running correctly. On EFILive I found I had to alter my search information several times to find the right answers, on this forum I found the [COLOR="Red"]word[COLOR] search much better.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:38 AM
TECH Junkie

IBTL

Im gonna go bump your 2006 thread lol.

Sounds like you need to do more diagnosing. Something is giving the relay the signal to turn them on etc, what happens with no PCM wired connected?
Old 03-15-2011, 10:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can you explain the whole process of your problems? Did it ever work properly? You apparently burned out a relay. There is wiring on the A/C compressor that is effecting the fan?
Old 03-15-2011, 10:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah it DID work properly until the nelson harness meltdown... something caused that meltdown and in turn burned that harness and set those codes in my old pcm...

Here's everything that ive gone through and its A LOT...prepare to

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...d.php?t=478841

Bully is the man, I wouldnt have gotten halfway here without his help. I also wouldnt have even remembered or realized that this issue stems from back then
Old 03-15-2011, 11:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
You try a totally new harness yet?
The harness is completely out of the equation at this point...I removed it so i can test only the wires coming from the PCM 42blue and 33red. So this is from a volt meter directly to the pcm lead wires
Old 03-15-2011, 11:30 AM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I did not feel like reading your entire previous thread. Did you try logging the ac pressure PID to verify the ac is not causing the problem?

Also are you using a single pin w/ ac trigger or dual pcm pin harness?
Old 03-15-2011, 12:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

LOL damnit GMC ok quick rundown of the thread ...

No harness in place, testing the wires directly off the PCM 42blue and 33 red, both supply ground as soon as the key is on engine off OR on. EFIlive doesnt have a PID for me to monitor pressure it only has one for Pressure sensor Voltage!!

Regardless of the A/C though I have already removed the A/C pins from the PC... RED 11/17/43/55 all are the PCM A/C connections and they are completely removed from the RED harness at this time for testing. The ground is STILL being supplied to 42Blue and 33 Red when the key is on engine off OR on.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:22 PM
Resident Retard

Do me a favor, log GM.ACP with the key on, then with the motor running ac off, and then with the motor running and AC on...

also in that log include SAE.ECT

then report back...
Old 03-15-2011, 12:26 PM
Resident Retard

Here are the equations to convert AC Volts to PSI/kPa.

psi = V*94.0479-18.8721
kPa = V*648.4372-130.118

If the psi/kPa values are higher than G0911 or G0918, then it will set those pins to ground, thus turning on the fans.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

But like i was saying, the problem starts with this B1000 and U1500 and it will end with that being fixed mechanically. I just need to know where the hell to start... When that meltdown happen years ago that destroyed the harness and kicked on these codes, the mechanical reasoning was never fixed. I thought i messed something up in the PCM so i figured screw it, itll get fixed when i swap to my new PCM...well the codes are there but the mechanical problem is!! So mechanically its not sound for whatever the heck B1000+U1500 was thrown for in the first place. Something shorted out causing those codes, and in turn melted the harness in the first place... so what is it!? The PCM will only force Fan #2 (33RED) if it thinks the A/C is running...so its obviously an issue with SOMETHING SOMEWHERE in the A/C system, just not high low pressure sensors cause they are not even connected to the PCM. I notice though that the A/C clutch signal on the green wire (the one that the nelson harness uses) is supplying a ground when the A/C is off which is weird...it also does this even with the Key off which is even weirder. Then the ground signal goes away if i turn the A/C on physically in the cabin....Not sure if this helps narrow it down but ....

Quick Reply: EFiLive vs HPT ... owners of both, I need opinions