Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

EFILive on the way....have a few noob questions.

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 06:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EFILive on the way....have a few noob questions.

A few EFILive newbie questions...

Just ordered EFILive (thanks Kyle!) Have been playing with their software for quite a while, and have scoured all the howto stickies in this forum.

One thing I've noticed is that most of the tutorial info seems to be oriented toward HPTuners. Just curious if there's anything I should be forewarned about trying to apply that information to EFILive, or if there might even be a good EFILive-for-noobs tutorial out there?

My primary incentive for tuning at the moment is mileage. I'd love to make my truck quick, but it's just not in the funds for the time being (i.e., fans/headers/exhaust/cam/etc). I know the economics barely play out on tuning for mileage, but I'd *MUCH* rather give the money to EFILive than to Chevron.

One thing I've read in the tutorials is that people increase timing at cruise conditions for better mileage. This leads me to think that even from a pure-cost perspective, running 91 and tuning for it could be less expensive than (or maybe just equal in cost to) using 87. As gas prices climb to astronomical levels, the cost of 91 as a percentage goes way down. And more range is always nice, especially with volatile gas prices. Any thoughts? Sorry to sound like a Prius-hippie here.

I won't initially have a wide band. My basic plan is to follow the tuning 101 thread, get VE done first, then spark, then PE. Want to try some DFCO and a mild/safe lean cruise setup as well (have the "scary-things-lurk-in-here" hack).

Another thing I noticed from the EFILive docs is that they recommend a bench setup or an isolator for a full reflash. Only plan on doing this once in the near future to get the lean cruise stuff in place. Are there any other options on this, i.e., pulling a bunch of fuses (already will be pulling onstar/nav radio stuff for any programming).

Thanks for any help, and would greatly appreciate any links to similar threads (search function doesn't seem to find much on "bench reflash" "octane mpg", etc.)

--Tod
Old 06-08-2009, 06:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

you will love EFI live. It's so easy to get used to it. To do the real tuning, you need a wideband, no other way around it.

I actually just recently did a full reflash to the 2002 OS, it's no big deal. I just kept my radio off whereas when I do a normal flash it's on, lol. There's no need to be worried about it despite the little skull and bones icon efi live has haha.