Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

engine swap and pcm tune

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 12:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default engine swap and pcm tune

Hi folks,

A little background first. I have a 04 silverado scsb. When I got it. IT was a 4.3 5 speed truck. Last year I pulled out the VORTEC v6 and installed a VORTEC 454 . Changed to aluminum heads and 1.8 roller rockers. And it was fun to drive with the 5 speed and 3.42 peg leg. So after becoming unemployed back in November. I sold the drop kit, step side bed, wheels, aluminum heads, and efi set up to help pay some bills. Moving forward i got this hair up my butt to swap an 8.1 liter in its place.

And then the 454 that currently resides in the truck is ending up in my 1993 Pontiac trans am. With an ls1 pcm and coil per cylinder but i digress...

Anyhow I would prefer the motor have a cable operated throttle body. But when i was looking for a similar year vin to load into the truck So i didn't have to immediately deal with the vats issue. Every Vin I plugged into gm vis listed electronic operated throttle control. So I was a Little bummed. Since I am not familiar with ls tuning software. Is this something i can change? now an 8.1 one is just a big block but with ls1 firing order etc even has similar style heads.etc etc.

Now a little about the motor stock bottom end. zz502 camshaft. re pinned pcm for older firing order due to cam. cnc ported heads 9.25 to 1 compression. I tried contacting SCT to ask them about there tuning solutions but since it has almost been a month now and no reply either they are sucking the economy bullet. OR they felt my email wasn't worth a reply. Now I know there is a few other tuning solutions efi live hp tuners jet etc.

But so far What i have gotten my feet wet with is tuner pro. My 454 had a marine pcm which was speed density. And was fairly easy to tune. efi live has a demo but just playing with the demo didn't really answer my questions.

Now since my other car has the 02 camaro pcm I am hoping to buy a tuning solution for both. So am I able to change the fly by wire tune over to standard tps etc or do i need a fly by wire tb etc?

Thanks in advance
Old 04-25-2009, 01:00 PM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You shouldnt have that big of an issue finding a tune that has a cable throttle body. what trans in going in this? or are you keeping the stock 5 speed?
Old 04-25-2009, 01:04 PM
TECH Addict

For the moment stock 5 speed till i start getting my military pay. Yes I Had no issue finding an earlier year Vin with out fly by wire but the pcm wouldn't take it. I kinda need to know if i can turn on using a tps etc if i buy one of the tuning solutions available
Old 04-25-2009, 01:13 PM

Not sure, I've never tried. what about picking up another pcm?
Old 04-25-2009, 01:15 PM
TECH Addict

I think they changed communication format on my year. Hence the reason I asked the questions...
Old 04-25-2009, 01:28 PM

I see.... 04, gota... well then how about running a drive by wire throttle body insted of cable? you could always turn off the vats
Old 04-25-2009, 01:31 PM
TECH Addict

I um loaded the vin into the bcm as well so I wouldnt have that issue. But if i go fly by wire then i need the pedal assembly etc. But if someone with some tuning experience or sells the tuning products can answer then it may help...
Old 04-26-2009, 06:20 PM
Un-Registered User

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

i dont understand why you dont just use an earlier pcm, which would rid of your issues of dbw???? what pcm do you have now?
Old 04-26-2009, 06:22 PM
TECH Addict

good question but you got to remember gm switch communication buses. Do you know what a candi module is?
Old 04-26-2009, 06:40 PM
Un-Registered User

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

an inline module that works with the tech 2???

Quick Reply: engine swap and pcm tune