Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Entering PE Faster

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 04:00 PM
Admin

Received 217 Likes on 173 Posts

do you have a screen shot of your PE enable TPS%? I went to SD to get my VE in line and then went back to MAF and tuned the MAF and it made a nice difference as far as being smooth throttle wise however after running in SD I have decided I need to go to 2bar SD tuning. Once my 2Bar MAP comes Ill be doing so..
Old 10-03-2006, 04:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope you have a 2 bar map if you're gonna run in SD...not very safe if you don't. There's no way to reference the amount of air coming into the engine once you hit boost with the MAF disabled.

Dave
Old 10-03-2006, 04:04 PM
Admin

Received 217 Likes on 173 Posts

Correct, if you do tune VE with the MAF disabled DO NOT GO INTO BOOST. Plan on doing some very easy driving when doing so..
Old 10-03-2006, 04:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 03sierraslt
do you have a screen shot of your PE enable TPS%? I went to SD to get my VE in line and then went back to MAF and tuned the MAF and it made a nice difference as far as being smooth throttle wise however after running in SD I have decided I need to go to 2bar SD tuning. Once my 2Bar MAP comes Ill be doing so..
That table (B3609) is zero'd out. That way there is no delay before entering PE regardless of TPS.

I plan on going 2bar as well, i just want to get a handle on using EFILive first.
Old 10-03-2006, 04:59 PM
TECH Junkie

You can do amazing things with the maf curve vry easily and quickly and it has good resolution, not as good as the ve but better than the pe or ifr table that alot use to make quick adjustments.

On the pe enable map setting its just one of the parameters that have to be met to enter pe you can set it too 5 if you wanted and just go off tps but I like it at 45.

Last edited by 02sierraz71_5.3; 10-03-2006 at 05:48 PM.
Old 10-03-2006, 05:38 PM
TECH Junkie

for example the attached picture you can see the maf g/sec is around 130g/sec that corresponds to a hz reading on the maf curve. So I would slightly bump the corresponding spot on the maf curve by 3% and graduate it up to 10% once youve hit 200g/sec. This should help with the pe and also you have a +10 ltft at wot this will help with that.

Edit:I attached a spread sheet with the old/new data for your maf curve even got a chart on there so you can see the correction, give it a shot and make sure to reset trims when you load it just copy and past the new data in.
Attached Files
File Type: zip
maf crv.zip (3.0 KB, 59 views)

Last edited by 02sierraz71_5.3; 10-03-2006 at 05:46 PM.
Old 10-03-2006, 05:54 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 02sierraz71_5.3
You can tune safely in SD just dont go into boost. What Ive done in the past is to tune the VE in SD to around 3000 without going into boost(use the gear selector) and by then you can see where the graph wants to go and eyeball the rest. Also when tuning in SD you obviously dont want to go into PE so you might adjust the tps and then go back and change it.

You can do amazing things with the maf curve vry easily and quickly and it has good resolution, not as good as the ve but better than the pe or ifr table that alot use to make quick adjustments.

On the pe enable map setting its just one of the parameters that have to be met to enter pe you can set it too 5 if you wanted and just go off tps but I like it at 45.
exactly. see everybody develops there own niches. You say 45kpa. Cool. Whatever works...safely.

with my 5600lb beast I have 85kpa enable for pe, 50%TPS up to 2K rpm, 45% at 2400rpm, 43% @ 2800 & 3200, 41% @ 3600, then 40, 37, 35 and then 30% on out from 5200. HOWEVER I am 2bar, so after that my BE enables at 105kpa. Not that this helps you or anybody not 2bar, just the way I do it. When I was 1bar, (MAF) my settings for PE were the same to some extent. Maybe a little more agressive with TPS% enable.
Old 10-03-2006, 06:04 PM
Hello Dave

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Whippled 496
I have been told that i am already +/- 2% in my VE table. Not sure how to tell that though. Thats what kind of confused me, if im already +/- 2%, and i adjust my VE table to have PE come in quicker, how will that effect things? Where is this +/- 2% info derived from and what does that tell me?
Not your VE table, but your fueling in general. Check one of the early logs you sent me where I requested you to log your BEN_LC11 (you should log this anytime you're logging your wideband and GM.AFR). That shows what multiplier it would take to get your Actual AFR to equal your commanded. For the most part, you were bouncing in the .98 - 1.02 range, with >1 being lean, <1 being rich. Therefore adjusting your VE table (which from what I have seen only has drastic impact during large throttle transitions) wouldn't yield much of a result. The big spikes away from commanded occur as you go from very light throttle to very heavy and vice versa, which no amount of VE and MAF tweaking can fix. The MAF/MAP combo does a good job of attempting to take care of that, but the formula used isn't perfect (SD tune will go lean on heavy throttle application, MAF-only will go rich, PCM combines the inputs to try and equalize).

In short, your fueling is right about where it needs to be once in PE mode, slightly rich even through your 1/4mi run.

To get to PE quickly, ensure that B3608 (PE Delay) = 0.0, B3643 (PE Step Size, higher = quicker transition to richer AFR) 0.1 or higher, B3644 (Rate of transition from Stoich to PE) is 0, B3609 (PE delay per RPM) is completely 0'd out.
Old 10-03-2006, 06:05 PM
TECH Addict

Are you talking about the picture in the spreadsheet?

Thanks 02, i would like to know how to tell that my LTFT's are +10 at WOT?

Can you explain this statement a little better for me please?

Originally Posted by 02sierraZ71 5.3
you can see the maf g/sec is around 130g/sec that corresponds to a hz reading on the maf curve. So I would slightly bump the corresponding spot on the maf curve by 3% and graduate it up to 10% once youve hit 200g/sec.
I am sorry to ask so many questions that may seem so trivial, im just trying to understand everything i do....
Old 10-03-2006, 06:08 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by dc_justin
Not your VE table, but your fueling in general. Check one of the early logs you sent me where I requested you to log your BEN_LC11 (you should log this anytime you're logging your wideband and GM.AFR). That shows what multiplier it would take to get your Actual AFR to equal your commanded. For the most part, you were bouncing in the .98 - 1.02 range, with >1 being lean, <1 being rich. Therefore adjusting your VE table (which from what I have seen only has drastic impact during large throttle transitions) wouldn't yield much of a result. The big spikes away from commanded occur as you go from very light throttle to very heavy and vice versa, which no amount of VE and MAF tweaking can fix. The MAF/MAP combo does a good job of attempting to take care of that, but the formula used isn't perfect (SD tune will go lean on heavy throttle application, MAF-only will go rich, PCM combines the inputs to try and equalize).

In short, your fueling is right about where it needs to be once in PE mode, slightly rich even through your 1/4mi run.

To get to PE quickly, ensure that B3608 (PE Delay) = 0.0, B3643 (PE Step Size, higher = quicker transition to richer AFR) 0.1 or higher, B3644 (Rate of transition from Stoich to PE) is 0, B3609 (PE delay per RPM) is completely 0'd out.
Cool, thanks Justin...that explains a bit for me. Man, its like information overload...LOL. Better than information underload though..

Im going to have this stuff down by Christmas....watch me.

Quick Reply: Entering PE Faster