Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Fast xfi tuning

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fast xfi tuning

I was told to come over here Here is the problem I have. I will totally list what I have from to to bottom and what I have encountered with flashes and so on..
I have a 1993 dakota that I did an engine swap in went from 5.2 to 5.9 or 318 to 360. The engine is a custom build (well for me anyhow).
1994 5.9 magnum block
At this point 1993 stock ecu had a 92-93 performance ecu but the voltage reg went bad and was charging like 18+ volts.
eagle crank (not stroked)
9.1 comp
R\T Heads 1.92 intake (the smaller ones)
1.7RR
factory 5.9 cam
M-1 intake w\52mm tb
CAI
Headers W\ true dual Exhaust
Can't for the life of me remeber the stall for the converter
Built tranny
8.25 rearend with 4.10 posi
Can't think of anything else. So if you have any questions just ask and I will answer them.

Ok, I wanted to install the fast system to get everything out of the motor I could and maybe even run e85. The GM style harness is well for the lack of better word for a GM. Sure I can get it to work with my truck but I have alot of things I want to work and not look like a rats nest under the hood. So I came across a guy that said he made splice in harness just for what I was doing so I bit at the tune of 1000 bucks for the harness and a Accel duel sync Dist. I get this thing in and it fried the performance ecu. So I pull it all out and start over. Had to get a harness from a wrecking yard to put it back together.
I am still going to do this but I need to get more parts for it like gauges, make pigtails for the tranny stuff like the lockup the VSS and crap like that. Need to figure out how to get my OD to work, the things in the dash. I am trying to learn everything I can. But if you know nothing about fuel injection then it can be a PITA!! to say the least. The wiring part, I just need to get the right GM style sensors. Then I need find timing info AF info as to what start with. I had someone give me a base tune but I didn't understand how to work with the different graphs and the more I read the more I understand. As for flashing the factory ecu. I had my girlfriend do the flashing and nothing happened..JK I called B&G and they told me that they didn't do those anymore so I was like crap, that is when I looked into FAST.. and bought the setup for the magnum motor. I have even called the Direct connect hotline and talked to them about the performance PCM but they told me 1996 and newer. I could get it to work but I would have to do some splicing and dicing on a 96 and newer harness. I am about done with this.. I am so tired of chopping my truck up to try to make things work and I am not willing to pay someone to do it for me. I don't really know what to do now.. So there it is... If anyone has any input or advice that won't cost me a boat load of money chim in and give me a shout... Thanks everyoneto post this.. In need of some help!!!

Last edited by 1993Dakota5.9; 04-05-2010 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Adding more description
Old 04-05-2010, 04:31 PM

19lb injectors with factory fuel system...
Old 04-05-2010, 06:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Delete that 2nd thread, it's a duplicate of this & it'll keep the info all in 1 thread. Just tryin to make it a lil easier.
Don't they make a specific W/H just for Dodges? Not the GM unit, or whata bout a universal? You're sayin that a universal is GM slanted?
Just tryin to get a feel here. Sorry to hear u dropped $1K just to fry an ECU.
B&G, is that a MOPAR thing?
As to not being willing to pay someone to do it for you. I have a friend I haven't talked in in a few yrs. Did a 3rd Gen Camaro (which had either TBI/ or TPI), he swapped in a newer motor. A LT1 w/. cam & maybe some other goodies, IDK it's been so long.
Couldn't get to run right, & didn't want to pay someone to reflash. So, he was gonna convert to a carb, carb-style intake. That would cost him $700 at the time. I know of no one that charges that to tune EFI. For as I know, he was at a crossroads cause he didn't know what to do rather than go backwards to a carb. If u can't figure it out, it may just sit til another option presents itself.
A perk of GM's is support from aftermkt & factory. Nothin wrong w/. other domestics tho. G/L
Old 04-09-2010, 09:01 AM

They don't make a harness for the magnum motors just the Hemis. I got a universal type GM harness from them but I will tell you, I have to change almost everything as far as sensors. I have to fugure out all the tranny wiring,like the TCC and OD, charging system, and in the whole process keep my dash working as far as my gauges and stuff..B&G is a Dodge thing they do pcm flashing, but when I called them they said the no longer do the older trucks even though they have it on their site. Well as far as cost to tune, the problem is that everyone around here don't want to mess with a V-8 let alone a dodge V-8 they all do Ford, Chevy or import. The only guy that I found that would do it told me between 600 to 1200 depending on what he had to do..I have been sitting on this for almost 2 years now..You know it is like having a toy you walk by everyday and can't play with it... It really sucks... Anyways thanks in advance for any advice I can get...
Old 04-19-2010, 02:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did B&G give ya any leads? I think I know exactly where they're at.

The people who wanted $600-1200, who might they be?