Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Fly by wire problem.. HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 09:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fly by wire problem.. HELP!!!

05 Z71 5.3 regular cab, trying to modify the hell out of but can't get the gremlins out. It's dyno tuned by Abel racing, de catted and has full exhaust and intake. At half to 2/3 throttle the thing acts like it's WOT. I hangs on to gears like it's WOT and it jumps down violently into lower gears like it's WOT 2 INCHES FROM THE FLOOR!!! The thing that really pisses me off is that if I try to sit on the factory stall and hold it to the floor for a hard launch, it seems to make a hollow air noise and bog badly till 2 or 3 grand. It's always done this even before it was tuned. If you lightly stall it to like 1200 or so then jab it to half throttle when you take off, it has all the common tire destroying carnage of my 01 TA. If anyone knows what the hell could be wrong with this electric throttle nonsense, please fill me in
Old 12-28-2011, 01:46 AM
12 Second Truck Club

I'm no expert, but sounds like you need to check your throttle angle with your throttle position. Have someone work the pedal while you watch the throttle blade, to see if your range is all there, or if it is out of whack. I have heard of this happening before and a new throttle body, or a new TAC module cured the problem. Hope this helps.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:07 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What does your tuner say about this? It really needs to be data logged so you can know what is going on. The kickdown can be more than likely fixed in the tune. I am not sure what you mean by a hollow air noise when trying to brake stall. Is the SES light on? Is it going into Reduced Engine Power?
Old 12-28-2011, 05:12 AM
On The Tree

Never had an SES ever. I haven't talked to the tuner about it yet cuz I work odd hours but I'll make a point to stop in. I have heard the throttle bodies have to be replaced often on these trucks. This noise is like one an engine would make when you open the throttle when the engine is not running such as pull starting a vehicle that won't start and matting your foot while the engine is spinning but not turning. My non expert opinion would be that the flap is opening prematurely to it correcting the A/F ratio for more fuel. The normal scream that only an LS motor can produce is gone till about 2500rpm then it's pretty much business as usual up to 5500. It does however seem to make absolutely no difference in sound or acceleration if you are holding the throttle steady and let off about an inch or 2 and pump the pedal back in forth from the 2 positions. If I did this in the TA, it would at the very least shift or at least I would hear a different sound in the engine as the load would be a little lighter. I had a few vehicles with bad TPSs that did something similar on take off but they were much quicker to correct themselves
Old 12-28-2011, 06:38 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the tune is off for the shift speed vs TPS or RPM
Old 12-28-2011, 10:31 AM
traveling mod

What are the mods??

Originally Posted by CalEditor@PCMCalibrators
Sounds like the tune is off for the shift speed vs TPS or RPM
This ^
Old 12-28-2011, 07:00 PM
On The Tree

Just exhaust and intake. I had it logged today. Drove about 3 miles and my tuner says it was golden. I guess the bogging is my imagination but it certainly doesn't seem that way. I did however note that the throttle position is at max at 99.6% and it will say 99.6% till you're off the floor a good inch. I had the tuner look at the gap in between where the pedal is floored and when the throttle flap actually starts to close and the pedal sensor is working and does see the pedal movement it simply doesn't start closing the throttle flap until the pedal is about an inch from the floor. I also noticed the TPS changes when you're driving even when the pedal is held steady. I can be half throttle held steady and the TPS is around 78% and as the rpms increase, it drops. This is incredibly annoying for me and makes me want to throw a F body of earlier truck comp in it and run a mechanical throttle
Old 12-28-2011, 07:40 PM
traveling mod

Id say get a new tuner..It sounds like he is setting up for a converter which you dont have..
Old 12-28-2011, 08:00 PM
On The Tree

Nobody around here is that good. We have guys around here pullin 15 degrees of timing and calling that a nitrous tune. These guys have a 1300 hp Vette and a 10 second Camaro that only has 440 hp so it's not like they don't know what they're doing I think it's just that this is a stock 4 wheel drive truck with pretty much the second smallest LS motor on the planet and it has it's limitations. I'm going for 550-600 hp on about a 78mm turbo eventually but that's not happening any time soon
Old 12-28-2011, 09:17 PM
On The Tree

I'm thinking I'll just yank the TAC module out of my wife's truck and see if it's less jumpy then swap it out permanently if it works cuz her truck will be sold soon

Quick Reply: Fly by wire problem.. HELP!!!