Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Fuel economy

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 07:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
That is correct, mine are all 1-2%... IMO since your running in closed loop, I would recommend tuning your cruise cells (part throttle) with fuel trims (STFT or LTFT) instead of your wideband... There might be a small difference between the two, at least from my experience... Since your running closed loop, you might as well tune with the trims cause that is what is going to be controling your fueling when your done anyways.....
Can get a copy of the maps you are using to log that info.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:56 PM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 53RUSSELL
Can get a copy of the maps you are using to log that info.
sure, PM me your email address... I am assuming you use EFI Live....
Old 11-11-2008, 11:20 PM
Un-Registered User

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by trever1t
Setting the PWM tables to 90 min and 100 max only make it ock up solid and quick. If you have an aftermarket converter it is recommended from what I understand.
thats what i thought too. if i try lockin mine up that soon it bucks like im rolling gangster with hydraulics.(insert vato smiley here)
Old 11-12-2008, 07:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Have you tried dropping your Rich/Lean Voltage of your 02 sensors for both Bank1 and Bank2 to something like 375mV (HPTuners > Engine > Fuel Control > OL & CL > O2 Rich/Lean vs. Airflow (bank1 AND bank2)? Some say to drop it to like 350 only at the airflow mode you are in at cruise speeds though. Word has it, this will get you several MPGs improvement. Doing this fools the PCM into pulling fuel due to the difference in the observed 02 crossing point and the referenced values in these tables. Stock table is 451 so anything numerically lower than that will lean out the mixture. You may want to play with the The General Airflow vs. Mode table since it determines which part of the B1S1 or B2S1 vs Airflow table you are on. Like I mentioned above, some have just set the R/L voltage to 375 across the board and have been fine however it would bother me that I was running "leaner" as I approached Pe mode or when the motor saw a heavier load. I personally haven't messed with these settings as getting a couple more MPGs isn't my top priority .

Last edited by krambo; 11-12-2008 at 07:25 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-12-2008, 07:30 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by krambo
Have you tried dropping your Rich/Lean Voltage of your 02 sensors for both Bank1 and Bank2 to something like 375mV (HPTuners > Engine > Fuel Control > OL & CL > O2 Rich/Lean vs. Airflow (bank1 AND bank2)? Some say to drop it to like 350 only at the airflow mode you are in at cruise speeds though. Word has it, this will get you several MPGs improvement. Doing this fools the PCM into pulling fuel due to the difference in the observed 02 crossing point and the referenced values in these tables. Stock table is 451 so anything numerically lower than that will lean out the mixture. You may want to play with the The General Airflow vs. Mode table since it determines which part of the B1S1 or B2S1 vs Airflow table you are on. Like I mentioned above, some have just set the R/L voltage to 375 across the board and have been fine however it would bother me that I was running "leaner" as I approached Pe mode or when the motor saw a heavier load. I personally haven't messed with these settings as getting a couple more MPGs isn't my top priority .
This does work!!

I did a tune on an 05 GTO and I lowered the numbers in this table at cruise speeds and the guy picked up a solid 2-3 MPG.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:34 AM
Resident Retard

Originally Posted by mcfarlnd
if i try lockin mine up that soon it bucks like im rolling gangster with hydraulics.(insert vato smiley here)
From what i have been told the bucking is due to excessive timing in the load/rpm area, try lowering the timing in that area....

Last edited by BlackGMC; 11-12-2008 at 10:41 AM.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:43 AM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what i have been told the bucking is due to excessive timing in the load/rpm area, try lowering the timing in that area....
yeah, that makes good sense! THX
Old 11-12-2008, 10:51 AM
Resident Retard

Originally Posted by trever1t
yeah, that makes good sense! THX
Take my advice with caution cause I am not the smartest tuner, like everything else each truck reacts differently....
Old 11-12-2008, 10:54 AM
Resident Retard

Originally Posted by KLUG'S SS
This does work!!

I did a tune on an 05 GTO and I lowered the numbers in this table at cruise speeds and the guy picked up a solid 2-3 MPG.
Did this also affect hi LTFTs in those areas? Lowering the switch points changes the average mV the O2 sensor switch around...
Old 11-15-2008, 07:45 AM
FormerVendor

Did this also affect hi LTFTs in those areas? Lowering the switch points changes the average mV the O2 sensor switch around...
This past week I made similar changes to this table in my tune on my truck and did not notice any drastic change in fuel trims, I always disable LTFTs in the tune and just tune off STFTs but did not see any large differences other than the 1-3% that I might get on different days due to temp change etc......

Quick Reply: Fuel economy