Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

general questions....bank 1 leaner than 2?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 12:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

How do I do it?
Old 08-24-2009, 01:02 PM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

http://forum.efilive.com/search.php?searchid=721617

First warm up engine to operating temp...

then:
- connect scantool,
- goto DVT tab,
- select controller,
- goto Learning subtab,
- click CASE,
- open throttle to increase RPM above 4000,
- when you hear/feel stumble/misfire immediately release throttle,
- after spindown, wait a few moments, turn off engine and wait 15 seconds.

You may possibly have to have brake applied during this.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:48 AM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The diff. in MV and that slight diff in ltft's is normal, the 02's can sometimes read a tiny bit different, or the slightest difference in injector flow, airflow, etc. from 1 bank to the other will cause that, no biggy. As for the detonation, i would try the relearn, but one thing i was curious about is what coil packs you are using compared to the pcm. IIRC the dwell changed a bit from one style to the next and that was wreaking havoc with KR. Also maybe you have another thread i haven't seen, but is it audible knock, could it be bad knock sensors, noisy valve springs or exhaust causing false knock? Have you modified the sensitivity of the sensors? Sorry for all the questions, just things going through my head!
Old 08-26-2009, 10:09 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Michael, you have your cats back on correct? Any chance that they are partially clogged? 4k seems to be the sweet spot for bad cats...that's where misfires and knock seem to occur...
Old 08-26-2009, 10:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

yes, I have the bad cats on. If I had a clogged cat, you would think I have a code right?
Old 08-26-2009, 10:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by joeyc125
The diff. in MV and that slight diff in ltft's is normal, the 02's can sometimes read a tiny bit different, or the slightest difference in injector flow, airflow, etc. from 1 bank to the other will cause that, no biggy. As for the detonation, i would try the relearn, but one thing i was curious about is what coil packs you are using compared to the pcm. IIRC the dwell changed a bit from one style to the next and that was wreaking havoc with KR. Also maybe you have another thread i haven't seen, but is it audible knock, could it be bad knock sensors, noisy valve springs or exhaust causing false knock? Have you modified the sensitivity of the sensors? Sorry for all the questions, just things going through my head!
Everything besides the longblock is stock from my 2000 4.8. I'm currently running a 2002 OS and a modified 02 LQ4 tune. As far as the knock goes, I can't hear any! It just pulls timing. My springs are PAC 1218 they are quiet and exhaust is quiet, and not banging on anything. THis friday I'm switching to the LQ9 coils and trying the crank relearn
Old 08-27-2009, 10:08 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
yes, I have the bad cats on. If I had a clogged cat, you would think I have a code right?
Not necessarily, I've seen cats go bad and not throw any codes
Old 08-27-2009, 10:25 AM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
Well if the cats are partially clogged, then exhaust will not flow properly, meaning all the hot gas in your combustion chamber will build up... Hot gas in your combustion chamber will cause detonation...
Old 08-29-2009, 04:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

That's an interesting thought.

So...this morning I put on the "new" coils and same old knocking crap. So, there was no issues with my plugs, wires, or coils. I guess that leaves fuel, tune, air leak, and clogged cats as potential causes.
Old 08-29-2009, 04:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

That's an interesting thought.

So...this morning I put on the "new" coils and same old knocking crap. So, there was no issues with my plugs, wires, or coils. I guess that leaves fuel, tune, air leak, and clogged cats as potential causes.

Quick Reply: general questions....bank 1 leaner than 2?