Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Getting a Blackbear tune this week

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 11:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by trever1t
run out as much 87 as you can and then fill it with premium, you'll be fine!
Shouldn't be too much of an issue considering I'll be sitting in DC / NoVa traffic (read: gridlock) on the way there in the morning lol
Old 05-01-2008, 11:44 PM
Teching In

Met Justin this morning in Alexandria for the tune - amazing what you can accomplish with one hour and a laptop these days

Needless to say the truck is running GREAT. Smooth, firm, shifts at all throttle posistions. Much smoother idle (and it wasn't that bad to begin with!) Noticable increase in Part Throttle acceleration and power, hi-way and street speeds. Smoother off the line. All that is great - but my favorite bit is that it pulls hard as hell from 70 - 110 at WOT! Really hard. I think that's the most noticable difference, outside of the shift quality and lack of TM. In short though, it's a whole new truck - positive gains across the board - and will only get better in the coming days.

Had the speed limiter raised to 130. Cat protection left on for the moment because it kicked in a few times during testing. Pretty sure the torque converter lockup was set for 100MPH in 3rd. 50% Engine and Tranny TM removal in normal mode, 100% removed from both in Tow / Haul. Even at 50% it's A LOT better, and 100% is a definate improvement from that even. Line pressure wasn't raised too much, and it's shifting great. I don't think it needs to be higher and should be at a good level for when I install the shift kit. The whole situation did make a 1 - 2 flare rear it's ugly head. Not horrible, and Justin said the Vette servo will remedy that situation. Looking forward to installing that on Monday or Tuesday as I know it's going to bring everything together for off the line performance.

So yeah, Justin definately lives up to his reputaion. Great guy, great tune.. Went above and beyond anything I could have expected or asked for and I couldn't be happier. Glad I waited until I was done the exterior before I started with the motor. Because now that's where all my spare cash is going
Old 05-02-2008, 12:42 AM
Teching In

Good to hear! I can't wait until he does my truck! If you had to take a guess, how many horses / how fast in 1/4 mile has your truck improved with the tune.
Old 05-02-2008, 01:13 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JBGMC
Good to hear! I can't wait until he does my truck! If you had to take a guess, how many horses / how fast in 1/4 mile has your truck improved with the tune.
Due to the changes that were made, it's hard to estimate a power gain. Mainly because just having TM removed and the positive shifts will make it feel a lot faster. It's great to watch the speedo continue to climb, unhindered, all the way up the scale. If I HAD to guess, I'd say it feels like a good 30HP or so. Definitely the best $200 you can spend on a mod, and now I can continue to add hard parts around it.

Unfortunately I never made it to the track prior to having this done, so I won't have comparisons. However, I am going to run NEXT Friday and plan on getting some dyno runs in within the next month. Figures can be compared to stock 5.3 because all I have is a 3" cat-back other than the tune.
Old 05-02-2008, 12:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'd have to agree with your comment about pulling at highway speed. I was AMAZED at the acceleration when driving 70 and punching it after my justin tune. Downshifts quick and really pulls!

I'm hopefully going to get to Route 66 speedway one of their Tuesday nights to do some testing with stock engine and trans, just engine, just trans, and both just to see if I notice any significant changes in et.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:20 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Bish
I'd have to agree with your comment about pulling at highway speed. I was AMAZED at the acceleration when driving 70 and punching it after my justin tune. Downshifts quick and really pulls!

I'm hopefully going to get to Route 66 speedway one of their Tuesday nights to do some testing with stock engine and trans, just engine, just trans, and both just to see if I notice any significant changes in et.

Right on, let me know how that works out for you