Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Head scratcher...Tune "Fan 2" for A/C only?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 05:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by InchUp

Originally Posted by Wilde Racing
Ya see I don't think us HPTuner users can control the second fan settings nor have a pin to run it... I've check and found no other pins that wound provid a good ground when I manually turned on the "second" fan... Again this is for hptuner users only,...
what about that??
Old 09-23-2008, 05:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've used that before in HPT to make two fans work. If memory is correct it's pins 33 and 42...
Old 09-23-2008, 05:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zippy
Ah, cool. The only thing i'd be worried about with your setup is that I never trust anything that drops voltage like rheostat's and resistors. They never seem to have much life and I know how important reliability can be on a trail truck. I really admire your idea's here though.
Reliability is paramount. Though I have a little leeway, in that my thermodynamics professor and I calculated the slowest speed my truck could run and still keep 100% cool. Through many calculated variables we found that if I just kept my truck above 35mph, the radiator has sufficient flow to cool the motor without the need of a fan on an 85 degree day. Granted we assumed various things such as the heat exchange rate of the bored over cylinder walls and the fluid flow rate difference between the 1" radiator core tubing and the water jackets around each cylinder, but we always assumed the worst case scenario which leaves me on the safe side.

Bottom line, if I'm out on the trail and the fan gets wet and fails, I have to get to the nearest highway and cruise to safety and I'll be perfectly fine.

I just don't want to think about that. Like I've been talking to nonnieselman about on AIM, my 18" fan is a BEAST. It spikes 100 amps at startup and draws a constant 33amps running 14.1 volts, which is why I upgraded to a 280-300amp alternator and dedicated an Optima Yellow Top to solely power the engine/fan. I have a 2nd Optima battery for my winch. This is why I'm trying to utilize a LOW speed and HIGH speed, so that I'm not drawing 33amps and pulling 5500 CFM through the radiator if the engine just gets a little warm. It's a serious fan, it is the strongest fan I could fit in my little Sonoma's engine bay.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:22 PM
How do I change this text

I've used that before in HPT to make two fans work. If memory is correct it's pins 33 and 42...
Sounds right, but the problem I've alwas had, was pin 42 (I think) is being used already..Maybe it's only a 99-00 thing?
Old 09-23-2008, 10:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Sounds right, but the problem I've alwas had, was pin 42 (I think) is being used already..Maybe it's only a 99-00 thing?
do you have the automatic HVAC? i cant remember what its called..
Old 09-24-2008, 08:22 AM
Hello Dave

No, the 99-02 pcms have very little fan control....
They've got just as much control as the 03+, but on trucks, J2(red) pin 33 is being used by the auto-recirc function. HPTuners would need to add the ability to change that pin's output control. It's there in the PCM, you just don't have access to it (much like the A/C fan settings).

J1 Pin 42 is always the blue harness.
J2 Pin 33 is the red harness in 99-02 truck, green in 03+.
Old 09-24-2008, 08:50 AM
How do I change this text

Originally Posted by dc_justin
They've got just as much control as the 03+, but on trucks, J2(red) pin 33 is being used by the auto-recirc function. HPTuners would need to add the ability to change that pin's output control. It's there in the PCM, you just don't have access to it (much like the A/C fan settings).

O.K, BUT how does the pcm control both the recurclate door and the fan with the same pin?
Old 09-24-2008, 11:07 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by dc_justin

Hmm, good point. I know I've set them up to have 2 fans working separately, but I would have to guess that they were a bit newer. Any idea's on how to fix that on a truck of that year?
Old 09-24-2008, 11:09 AM
Hello Dave

Hmm, good point. I know I've set them up to have 2 fans working separately, but I would have to guess that they were a bit newer. Any idea's on how to fix that on a truck of that year?
Gotta petition HPTuners or get TunerCat to add in the parameter that allows you to change Pin 33's function. Then, snip the Auto-Recirc wire and tap in for the second fan.
Old 09-24-2008, 06:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Russ Kemp over on HPTuners forum provided me with this. Just glancing at it the first go around, it doesn't look like I can wire this fan up like Lincoln does from the factory without that controller, so back to the drawing board.

Gahh I just want to go home and test the fan, why do I have to be so far away from home without a vehicle?!?!?!

What do ya think?

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/attach...4&d=1222272436

Quick Reply: Head scratcher...Tune "Fan 2" for A/C only?