Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Head scratcher...Tune "Fan 2" for A/C only?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 12:33 PM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont see why they would have more than two wires if it was only a single speed. I'm 98% sure it's multi speed. dont worry lol
It sounds as you will will beable to use your currant pcm to control both speeds two (as long as the pin isn't in use)

Sounds like you are set......
Old 09-25-2008, 02:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trying to curb my excitement that this will actually work out, but theoretically say the 18" fan DOES have two speeds, would I hook the yellow power wire up to relay 1, and the red wire to relay 2? (The same relay for both like the one I have pictured, just get another one). Then I could tune fan 1 to trigger relay 1 to turn the fan on slow, then tune fan 2 to trigger relay 2 to do... what exactly ? Shut of relay 1 and fire up relay 2 or just run both relay 1 and 2 together to get the high speed?

I guess I'm not sure how the windings work. Do they feed off each other and both are needed to spin the fan up to high speed or is the high resistance winding shut off to allow the low resistance winding to speed the fan up?

This is all assuming the fan has 2 speeds, I'm just trying to get a handle on the order of operations that would need to happen if everything works out.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by InchUp
I'm trying to curb my excitement that this will actually work out, but theoretically say the 18" fan DOES have two speeds, would I hook the yellow power wire up to relay 1, and the red wire to relay 2? (The same relay for both like the one I have pictured, just get another one). Then I could tune fan 1 to trigger relay 1 to turn the fan on slow, then tune fan 2 to trigger relay 2 to do... what exactly ? Shut of relay 1 and fire up relay 2 or just run both relay 1 and 2 together to get the high speed?

I guess I'm not sure how the windings work. Do they feed off each other and both are needed to spin the fan up to high speed or is the high resistance winding shut off to allow the low resistance winding to speed the fan up?

This is all assuming the fan has 2 speeds, I'm just trying to get a handle on the order of operations that would need to happen if everything works out.
I'm not 100% on the fallowing info, electrical motors typically use resistors for speed change not different windings...

Usally It is only one set of widdings but three wire ends. One on the end that would go to ground, on in the middle, and one at the other end....
the less wire "turns" or widdings the faster the motor....

I would wire it like this...
PCM grounds relay switch for relay number one which supplys power to the "low" fan speed.
PCM grounds relay switch for relay number two which supplys power to the "high" setting...
The only funny thing will be if the fan needs the low curcuit to open before the high curcuit is energized, in which case would require a thrid relay to "disconnect" the "low" fan speed....

There are other ways to go about this, just one idea.
Clear as mud?
Old 09-25-2008, 05:51 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Wilde Racing
Clear as mud?
You got it.
Old 09-27-2008, 01:16 PM
TECH Resident

this is inch up's lil brother, he's busy im typing for him,the fan is duel speed there are three wires one black one orange one yellow. orange and black trigger high speed and yellow and black trigger low speed. how to wire using dual relays and a pcm
Old 09-27-2008, 01:49 PM

There are a few ways to do this. The trick is to make sure the both fan speeds are not energized at the same time.....
It can be done with only two relays, here is how....

Relay one is the low speed relay
Relay two is the high speed relay

Pin 30 will be a fuse high load positive supply for both relays. (can be from the same source)
Pin 86 will be pcm ground control for both relays.
Pin 85 will be key on fused positive supply FOR HIGH SPEED (RELAY TWO ONLY)
Pin 85 on relay one (or low speed) will be connected to 87 of relay two. I'm doing this so that when the pcm commands the fans to come on high, the high speed relay (relay two) will open this curcuit which will stop the positive supply to relay one turning the fans of low speed. Also be sure to put a small amp fuse in the wire that connects pin 87 and 85.
Pin 87a on the low speed or relay one wll be connected to the yellow fan wire.
Pin 87a on the high speed relay or (relay two) will be connected to the ornge wire.
The black wire from the fan goes to the frame. Be sure and clean the frame!!!

I can post up another way if you want to use three relays.....

Last edited by Wilde Racing; 09-27-2008 at 01:54 PM.
Old 09-27-2008, 05:36 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Wilde Racing
I can post up another way if you want to use three relays.....
Would there be any benefit to justify the complexity? I currently only have that single relay, I'm planning on getting another of the same.

Is there a diagram anywhere showing what wires go where in your previous post?
Old 09-27-2008, 06:07 PM

I'm not sure your fan will like both sets of windings being on at the same time.....
it depends on how the fan is wired internally. it may just waste power....
Besides it's not that much more complicated other than the "switch power" for the low is coming from the normally closed circuit of the high relay.. Would it help if I draw it out?
Old 09-27-2008, 06:11 PM
TECH Resident

Now that you mentioned it I did try connecting orange+yellow to positive and grounded black, and the ground started to get rather hot.

I'm a visual learner, so drawings always help. Thank you.
Old 09-27-2008, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by InchUp
Now that you mentioned it I did try connecting orange+yellow to positive and grounded black, and the ground started to get rather hot.

I'm a visual learner, so drawings always help. Thank you.
Well I'm a shitty drawer so you are screwed... j/k... hang on

Quick Reply: Head scratcher...Tune "Fan 2" for A/C only?