Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

heat soak issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 01:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default heat soak issues

whats goin on everyone? had a few quick questions to ask about what some of ya are doing to lower underhood temps and iat's. winter it really isnt affected much, but last summer it literally felt like 100 horse loss if temps were about 80 degrees out compared to when its 70. im trying to get all these little issues settled before the racing season starts

my first question is have any of you guys used heat wrap on your intake tube? i know its supposed to keep heat in but could it also keep it out to where the tube wont heat up?

also are any of you members wrapping your headers? ive really been thinking about doing so since ive heard it dramatically reduces underhood/iat's but i have no first hand experience. and also is there anything else i can do or thats proven itself to work better?

thanks in advance

tj
Old 03-21-2013, 01:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have a way to scan it or watch live data?

and what intake tube/setup are you using?

My IAT sensor is in the EGR port on the side of the intake manifold so i see some really high IATs goin thru a drive thru or something. but it falls fast when it gets some good air flow like it should.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i personally dont have any data logging software but i do have access to hptuners. as for my intake setup its a 3.5 or 4in spectre cai. correct me if im wrong but as for the iat sensor i thought 99-02's did not have them? ive seen a thread about adding one and having to de-pin two wires for the maf or something like that in order to add an iat?
Old 03-21-2013, 02:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh we do have them built into the maf
Old 03-21-2013, 02:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yea they are the lil sensor on the inside (top) of the MAF.
Most just use the MSD one since it reacts a lil faster than the factory one.

Try and get a log of your truck and might be able to see whats happening. might just be a lil saftey built into the IAT spark table.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i think i may have to invest in one then. and i would log it again but unfortunitley here in gurnee its about 20 degrees,so at the moment i couldnt get it to get hot if i wanted to lol. and sorry if this is a stupid question but about a month ago my buddy made two logs that are supposed to be sent to my tuner. theres a driving around log that includes normal driving and a 45-80 pull with the converter locked accelerating under heavy load, and there is a wot run. would either of those logs mabey show me whats going on with the iat spark table?
Old 03-21-2013, 03:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It depends if he was logging IAT spark which he probably wasn't.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

all i remember is that my buddy said we could look at anything(i have no idea about anything when it comes to tuning) i know after the hit we logged we were looking through knock, a/f, and saw the most messed up timing graph any of us have ever seen. ill ask him to send me the graphs n hopefully somehow i can post them up here
Old 03-21-2013, 03:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

ah.. just take a snap shot with the cell phone if all else fails.
Timing graph displayed on the log or tune?
Old 03-21-2013, 03:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

lol if i had a smart phone that wouldnt be a problem, but ill fersure figure somethin out even though im not technology friendly lol. and im pretty sure in the log. all i know is my buddy damn near **** his pants when he saw the waves of timing across the board.

Quick Reply: heat soak issues