Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Help! Bad Trans Slippage After Prof. tune

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 09:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New member here. I do allot of tuning and for automatic cars I leave the shifts almost completely stock for part throttle but try to max out the line pressure at WOT. The tranny needs lots of line pressure to live at WOT. Sounds like it was already suspect then they removed the torque management and that was simply too much for the tranny. Torque management is a wondeful tool for increasing the longevity of the transmission but will cost you a tenth or two at the track. I only remove the transmission torque management at the request of the customer.
CWB
V8muscle.net
Old 12-20-2010, 11:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by trophystock
New member here. I do allot of tuning and for automatic cars I leave the shifts almost completely stock for part throttle but try to max out the line pressure at WOT. The tranny needs lots of line pressure to live at WOT. Sounds like it was already suspect then they removed the torque management and that was simply too much for the tranny. Torque management is a wondeful tool for increasing the longevity of the transmission but will cost you a tenth or two at the track. I only remove the transmission torque management at the request of the customer.
CWB
V8muscle.net
Ok. I'll see if I can get my tuner to put it back to stock for part throttle, spice things up at WOT and add back in torque management.
It's still slipping with the "Super Servo" mostly with low throttle input.

Trying to decide if I should purchase HP tuners and do it myself, or if I should just pay the big boys down south to do it. Its $650+ either way.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:42 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 786 Likes on 652 Posts

Originally Posted by TrickyTransAm
I appreciate the offer. I'm dead in the water with a rental car and very limited funds, so I just had him put new spider gears in it until I can save enough cash to build the rear end with the locker. It wasn't too bad for cost to keep me going through the winter.

I spoke with my trans builder and my tuner. Kind of getting the finger pointed at eachother...but both are very willing to work with me, so baby steps.

The tuners suspect for the wierd slippage at 1-2 low speed and 2-3 WOT was the HD 2-4 band and the drum. Apparently the trans builder used the old drum for the HD 2-4 band. He says its not a problem, but the tuner said it's a must. I thought I read somewhere you had to watch the width of the bands and make sure you match accordingly...so we'll see. Not sure where to go if it's a stalemate.
There always going to point the finger at each other. Lol ! No one wants to admit fault. It's bad for buissness.

If the Trans builder used a stock width hd band it will be ok. If he Re-used the drum and put a wider hd Band in That is a no no!!! They do make stock width HD band.

Unfortunitly adding a different servo wont fix anything.

As mentioned try turning the settings back to stock with some Tq managment. I would buy my own tuning suit if I were you. that way you dont have to keep going back. I cant see spending 650 on a small change. Unless you want to hook a wideband up I dont think you need the pro suite

The Fact that you mentioned some of this started with the original motor still leads me to believe its related to the transmission