Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

How to Detune for Valet/shop work etc...EFI

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 09:16 AM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to Detune for Valet/shop work etc...EFI

I may be dropping the hoe off for some stereo work. I happen to know the guys that work there are into fast cars. I don't intend to drop the hoe off in full "go fast" form. I am wondering what I can change in the tune that will still let them move the truck around but not beat on it. They dont need to drive it more than 10 feet at a time. I have EFI live.
I was thinking of setting the rev limiter really low and leave the fuel cut-off high so it doesn't "bounce" of that. Would that be enough? Maybe set the rev limiter to 2300rpm. With my converter, if the get on it, the stall will just flash so they will have to ease into it. Or should I just drop the timing in the whole tune by 75% and be done? Not sure how well it would run like that. Any other sugesstions?
Old 03-07-2007, 09:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd set the rev limiter to something like 3000 and speed limiter to 55. Or more conservative if you are just worried about them driving it at all. I wouldn't touch the timing.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:29 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I would also tell them so that they don't go acting the fool and end up getting into an accident because they overcompensate for something.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

I know that you can mess with the throttle opening rate if you have an electric body, I think you can make it only open 20%
Old 03-07-2007, 09:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Look out for what you sign!! Sometimes some of the shops in their release forms you sign when they install it. YOu sign over your vehicle for any test drive capabilities to ensure full customer satifaction upon install or Some bs. buddy of mine worked at circuit city. If they signed the form and had a nice car he was allowed to drive it. Actually their policy states drive it around the parking lot, pull it in then do the work and drive it around the parking lot agian to make sure everything works correct.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by foff667
I would also tell them so that they don't go acting the fool and end up getting into an accident because they overcompensate for something.
Yeah, i'd definately tell them about it before they try to whip out in traffic to joy ride and get run over due to no powa
Old 03-07-2007, 09:48 AM

The shop does good work but, last time I went there the truck had 11 miles on it when I got back. Thats a hell of a joyride. I couldn't be certain because I didn't write the mileage down but I looked before I left and was pretty sure it was 11 miles less. Could have been 1 mile and I read it wrong. I'm not taking any chances this time.

I'll set the speed limiter to 20mph and the rev limiter to 3000rpm and play with it today. Its not getting dropped off today.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:51 AM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

slow you have a custom OS? I believe you can make a toggle valet mode off of 2 pins on the pcm. PM dc_justin, I am sure he knows the efi way. kbracing should be able to tell ya as well. But I am wih everyone else...make sure you tell them what you are doing if you cut them from power.(normal power at least)
Old 03-07-2007, 10:12 AM

I dont have a custom OS yet. I will tell them to not take it for a test drive until I get back.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

The real question is...Why would they need to do a test drive for stereo work? I think cranking it would be sufficient.

Quick Reply: How to Detune for Valet/shop work etc...EFI