Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

How do you reset the PCM after cleaning MAF?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 07:39 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How do you reset the PCM after cleaning MAF?

Do you pull the IGN fuse and the PCM fuse? It`s a 99 silvy, new body style. What and where are the fuses to pull please?
Old 08-22-2005, 09:41 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have just always disconnected the negative battery cable for about 5 minutes to reset my pcm.
Old 08-22-2005, 02:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by KLUG'S SS
I have just always disconnected the negative battery cable for about 5 minutes to reset my pcm.

Here is where I question that approach. I think ALL power needs to be purged from the truck and disconnecting and reconnecting the batt cable doesnt do that, at least from what I can tell, since all the stereo settings and such are all retained. Some guys on the Colorado / Canyon board stated that you need to do that AND turn your lights on so the system drains and that then and only then is all power purged which is what is "required".

Anyone know if there is any truth to that? Seems logical to me.
Old 08-22-2005, 02:44 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Snafudilligad
Here is where I question that approach. I think ALL power needs to be purged from the truck and disconnecting and reconnecting the batt cable doesnt do that, at least from what I can tell, since all the stereo settings and such are all retained. Some guys on the Colorado / Canyon board stated that you need to do that AND turn your lights on so the system drains and that then and only then is all power purged which is what is "required".

Anyone know if there is any truth to that? Seems logical to me.
I am reading this correctly...so your saying disconnect the battery AND turn on the lights? uhm.. okay. Stereo's that retain info usually have a smaller battery in them for such purposes...just like your alarm clock. Maybe I am wrong on this...no engine running + no battery hook up= no electrical power.

You wanna reset the computer with no software...unhook the positive terminal on the battery for 15 minutes. ....unplug the pcm as well if it'll make you feel better...with the battery unhooked already!
Old 08-22-2005, 02:59 PM
Launching!

ECM reset is as follows:

Key in on position
pull ecm1 and ecmb fuses
wait aprox 5 minutes with key on
key in off position
replace fuses
start vehicle...it may run rough a bit at first for a few seconds.

Pat
The following users liked this post:
ChristianSilverado (08-01-2020)
Old 08-22-2005, 03:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by dewmanshu
I am reading this correctly...so your saying disconnect the battery AND turn on the lights? uhm.. okay. Stereo's that retain info usually have a smaller battery in them for such purposes...just like your alarm clock. Maybe I am wrong on this...no engine running + no battery hook up= no electrical power.

You wanna reset the computer with no software...unhook the positive terminal on the battery for 15 minutes. ....unplug the pcm as well if it'll make you feel better...with the battery unhooked already!
NO, I was asking if there was any truth to it. I meant hitting the switch to drain residual power somewhere in the system (what I overheard and exactly why I asked)
Old 08-22-2005, 06:52 PM
Banned

Well, I did all that and got it running better, if you want to call it that anyways. Now, it seems when I take off down the road I can put the gas pedal on the floor and the truck spits and sputters and only does about 30 mph. Then, it will take off and start it all over again. Transmission doesn`t want to shift except in the higher rpm`s and then it will snap your neck when it shifts. It doesn`t seem to be slipping cause the rpm`s don`t rev up when you put the pedal on the floor. It just bogs. WTF!!!!
Old 08-22-2005, 09:19 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Snafudilligad
NO, I was asking if there was any truth to it. I meant hitting the switch to drain residual power somewhere in the system (what I overheard and exactly why I asked)
my apologies...I just read my post...what an A-hole. I didn't mean to come loff ike that....just thought it sounded funny. Damn typing always kills the "fun" sarcasim.

makoshark: if it is bogging...you did something to that maf. did you clean it with the electrical contact cleaner they sell at home depot or lowes? Touch it? If you didn't have problems (too much) before then it is only left to assume you damaged or crapped up the maf. I clean my maf every 3k to 5K because of the k&N oil residue.
Old 08-22-2005, 09:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by OKLAGMCRUISER
ECM reset is as follows:

Key in on position
pull ecm1 and ecmb fuses
wait aprox 5 minutes with key on
key in off position
replace fuses
start vehicle...it may run rough a bit at first for a few seconds.

Pat
Ditto!
Old 08-22-2005, 09:34 PM
Banned

I did clean the MAF with the electric cleaner. I didn`t touch the tiny wires and they were intact when I reinstalled it. I just bought a cheap Actron code scanner and got a P0102 code. Low readings from the MAF. I also have a K&N filter. That was why I cleaned it. I have got to get this thing back running. I don`t want to have to drive my T/A to work, but looks like I`m gonna have to for a few days. Thanks guys

Quick Reply: How do you reset the PCM after cleaning MAF?