Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

HP Tuners or EFI Live

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 10:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HP Tuners or EFI Live

I am new to this stuff. I am going to get either efi or hp and cannot decide which to get.

Are they pretty much the same??
What are the differences as far as what you can change??
Which has better support???

I am looking for something to play around with on my 6liter but i am definately going to need some help, or probably even a base tune start with.

I have heard that the 99 and 00's 2500 have some computer issues??? Can i buy a cpu out of a 01 or 02 6 liter and swap them???

Sorry for all the questions but i am a Diesel guru and this is my first gasser truck.

Chris
Old 03-31-2007, 10:16 PM
TECH Junkie

They are both great programs with great support and features. You can't really go wrong with either one. I went with Hp Tuners for the V6 support that I didn't see available with EFI Live. That way I can use the software to work on both of my current vehicles.

As far as upgrading to a newer pcm, I think you can do that but I'm not sure. Someone with more knowlege will have to answer that question.
Old 03-31-2007, 10:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

They will both get the job done, it really comes down to where you will feel you will get the best support from. There are some great guys on here that will help you along the way with any questions you have. These "which is better" threads can get ugly, its best to use the search button, as this has been discussed in great detail on here in the past. We have some great deals going on right know if you decide on EFILive. We also have a demo version you can down load here http://www.efilive.com/download.aspx to play with to get the feel of how the software is laid out. Also, here is a list of supported vehicles http://www.efilive.com/supvehicle.aspx . Let me know if I can help you in any way.
Old 03-31-2007, 10:25 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

HPT...no no no...EFI....no no no..HPT!!

no no no EFI! LOL sorry kbracing puts it's best..
These "which is better" threads can get ugly, its best to use the search button, as this has been discussed in great detail on here in the past.
search each manufacurers website until you are blue in the face. Which one makes you feel the most comfortable, that should be your choice. Support is there for either.
Old 03-31-2007, 11:27 PM
Hello Dave

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by clawson
I have heard that the 99 and 00's 2500 have some computer issues??? Can i buy a cpu out of a 01 or 02 6 liter and swap them???
Yes you can fairly easily (at least with EFILive). Just have to be sure that you have the right calibration on the 02 and that the correct DTCs are enabled/disabled.
Old 04-01-2007, 12:34 AM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Either software program will do what you want. And both will have you going when you get started. It's a little overwhelming at first. I use EFI Live and it is great. Many use HPT and think it is great. Both programs have their pros and cons as far as package deals. What you can program up front and what costs extra. You'll have to do some research to see what will be best for you. This forum offers help on both programs so, either will be a great tool for your tuning needs.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:40 AM
TECH Junkie

This is the best HPT/Live thread I have every seen.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:46 AM
Teching In

I am glad i don't want to start any fights.
I have been into high performance diesels for a long time. People are doing some awesome things with efi and the duramax.

Do any of them offer a free tune with their programs??? I think it would be easier to take a tune and adjust it to fit me rather than starting from scratch.

Is there anyone using HP or EFI around Cincinnati Ohio or Northern Kentucky??????

Thanks,
Chris
Old 04-01-2007, 12:04 PM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

EFI has this site:
http://www.holdencrazy.com/EFILive/#Chevrolet

I think HPT has something similar.
Old 04-01-2007, 12:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

I use HpTuners.