Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

HP Tuners or EFI Live

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 11:24 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Country Boy
ts about time it accurate. I got into a debate about this same subject on another board and that was posted and I got told how out of date it was. I believe that same person is in this thread
I try to update it every week or when any new updates are released from either product to keep it as accurate as possible. I welcome any and all discrepancies but there rarely are any
Old 04-05-2007, 12:21 PM
Hello Dave

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The problem isn't that the document is out of date really. The problem is that the document is very one-sided, granted it has gotten somewhat better. You'd expect the same thing if it was written by someone from EFILive. The only accurate comparison that could be made would be made by someone that very regularly uses both packages extensively.

Few things to add:

EFILIVE: View and Clear DTCs without a laptop

Cost to license multiple vehicles... example, all LS1 based PCMs. EFILive stream costs $2495 (includes free custom OS's). HPT's equivalent, 60 credits, $2999.40. Custom OS's are additional

EFILIVE: Data logging from external serial input. i.e. Supported Dyno software, WBO2 (Not yet released)

EFILIVE: Scan tool is completely customizable to the point of having the ability to create you own units of measure if you so chose to do so. Example, Marcin (redhardsupra) wanted to view temperature in Kelvin. I was able to create a Kelvin temperature unit and add it in.

----------------------

That's just a few things "missing" that I could quickly come up with.

I'll start to compile a list of features and functionality that I come across and will make sure to run it by Chad or Marcin, since they both have HPT and EFILive to be sure that I have full information on both. I'll also bug Marcin to give input on the scan tool features of both as he has extensive experience in tweaking them.

What are the details around HPT's use of markers within a log file?
Old 04-05-2007, 12:28 PM
10 Second Club

I have had HPT for about two months, me and my brother went half on it, he has a 98 formula, and i got my 02 silverado. and we have played around with it a lot. the only thing i dont like is i wish the help files were a little more explanatory. But its like everyone said you cant go wrong with either.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Like I said, these thread tend to get ugly.... There no point in arguing well IF you were to do this... or IF you were to do that... or license this...

You can't go wrong with either, they will get the job done

It all comes down to how YOU are going to use it personally and what features you think will suit YOU best.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:06 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Few things to add:

EFILIVE: View and Clear DTCs without a laptop
duelly noted & will be added.

Cost to license multiple vehicles... example, all LS1 based PCMs. EFILive stream costs $2495 (includes free custom OS's). HPT's equivalent, 60 credits, $2999.40. Custom OS's are additional
This is where things go wrong...when uninformed people try to say how much one product is compared to another. In every aspect you are incorrect...our custom operating systems come free with our LS1 unlimited tunershop of those 60 credits.

Efilives stream may very well be $2495 but add in V2's cost of $749 and you've got $3244.

HPTuners requires 60 credits BUT the mpvi pro's cost @ $649 comes with 8 of those credits meaning you'd only need to purchase an additional 52 credits for a total of $2599.48 meaning the total for HPTuners LS1 unlimited+1/2/3 bar custom operating systems PLUS Real Time tuning for nearly all of those custom operating systems is only $3248.

Please, if your going to quote prices come to me first to verify things rather then ***** nilly spitting out what you think our prices are.

EFILIVE: Data logging from external serial input. i.e. Supported Dyno software, WBO2 (Not yet released)
now you know the reason why its not in there. Just like Standalone datalogging is not yet released, just like standalone flashing is not yet released. Seems like an awful lot of not yet released for a hardware piece thats been on the market for 7 months.

EFILIVE: Scan tool is completely customizable to the point of having the ability to create you own units of measure if you so chose to do so. Example, Marcin (redhardsupra) wanted to view temperature in Kelvin. I was able to create a Kelvin temperature unit and add it in.
we too have the ability to create our own pid's & such so where is the discrepancy again?

I'll start to compile a list of features and functionality that I come across and will make sure to run it by Chad or Marcin, since they both have HPT and EFILive to be sure that I have full information on both. I'll also bug Marcin to give input on the scan tool features of both as he has extensive experience in tweaking them.
Chad doesnt know his way around hptuners very well...he tried stated hpt couldnt change units and when I told him how i got a "I like that more then EFILive" response

Marcin I didn't realize he ownes efilive...access maybe but I don't think he ownes it.

What are the details around HPT's use of markers within a log file?
http://www.hptuners.com/help/vcm_scanner_scan_menu.htm

you can also add markers with our standalone data logger by simply pushing a button.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kbracing96
Like I said, these thread tend to get ugly.... There no point in arguing well IF you were to do this... or IF you were to do that... or license this...

You can't go wrong with either, they will get the job done

It all comes down to how YOU are going to use it personally and what features you think will suit YOU best.
I will reiterate this post. It is really preference related, and some supporters of either are very biased. Let's just keep it at this. I have many tuning solutions on my laptop and prefer the HPTuners layout overall.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:57 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Originally Posted by 12secSS
I will reiterate this post. It is really preference related, and some supporters of either are very biased. Let's just keep it at this. I have many tuning solutions on my laptop and prefer the HPTuners layout overall.
I agree, but I think it should be noticed your preference comes from TONS of experience with maybe both or not, but certainly tons of experience. The newbies don't posess that though. I feel for some one trying to decide between the 2 competitors. Hell the best gear heads on here get all worked up when they bought a cam for 325 bucks and then find it a week later for 315 bucks. Imagine being new and looking at those freaking pricing schedules of HPT and EFI. Crazy. I read foff's response twice.

I for once would like to see a comparitive thread of the software companies, I just don't want to see ANY attitude in responses. That's where the flames start and once they start it ruins what could be a pretty good "one vs other" thread. Cuz there's no coming back (usually) from arguing. My biggest turn off to these threads is it takes members who are really good at tuning and seperates them from including their knowledge in future threads where mechanics might be a discussion, but because it's with HPT the EFI guy doesn't come in or vice a versa.

It's obvious dc_justin should reply cause you "rebutted" with a little attitude foff. I understand you need to defend your product, especially if you feel someone is wrong. But dc_justin didn't fire off and try to start anything, I am sure he was really just replying to Country Boy. Saying yeah well this...and oh yeah how about that is fine, just don't be buttheads you two, or anybody.

A good thing would be if you don't work for or are affiliated with one of these two come in and say what you like or dislike about your package(software you dirty f-ers). And then the reps of efi or hpt can do the "yeah but this" and "yeah but that" about the members dislikes or likes. I don't know...I just don't want to lock this thread up yet. Be nice.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:43 PM
Hello Dave

William,

Please don't take my previous points as a personal slam against you, as they were definitely not meant that way. I will stand by my statement that a comparison drafted by either side will inherently have a bias, and there really is no way around that other than by having a completely independent third-party create the document. Until that happens, by nature it is not a truly "fair" comparison.

Originally Posted by foff667
This is where things go wrong...when uninformed people try to say how much one product is compared to another. In every aspect you are incorrect...our custom operating systems come free with our LS1 unlimited tunershop of those 60 credits.

Efilives stream may very well be $2495 but add in V2's cost of $749 and you've got $3244.

HPTuners requires 60 credits BUT the mpvi pro's cost @ $649 comes with 8 of those credits meaning you'd only need to purchase an additional 52 credits for a total of $2599.48 meaning the total for HPTuners LS1 unlimited+1/2/3 bar custom operating systems PLUS Real Time tuning for nearly all of those custom operating systems is only $3248.

Please, if your going to quote prices come to me first to verify things rather then ***** nilly spitting out what you think our prices are.
Uninformed, I may be, but that does not change the price comparison I made, as I made no assumptions as to the availability of "credits" at the time of purchase. Were I to do that, then I would also need to reduce the price of the LS1 stream, as 80% of the value of every license you own, up to 50% of the cost of the stream, may be applied to the price. Just doing an apples to apples comparison based on readily available information.

now you know the reason why its not in there. Just like Standalone datalogging is not yet released, just like standalone flashing is not yet released. Seems like an awful lot of not yet released for a hardware piece thats been on the market for 7 months.
Merely making the point, as you do have the standalone reading/flashing in the comparison, and it is not yet released either.

we too have the ability to create our own pid's & such so where is the discrepancy again?
What I discussed is not merely a custom PID. Can have a single temperature PID capable of displaying in C,F and K without adding in the clutter of more PIDs. View VSS in MPH,yards per minute, inches per hour, whatever you want, natively without having to create a custom PID to do so. It speaks to the nature of the software architecture itself. The capability to fully customize much of the software is huge.

Marcin I didn't realize he ownes efilive...access maybe but I don't think he ownes it.
Yep, but I'll let him speak to that if he chooses to contribute.

http://www.hptuners.com/help/vcm_scanner_scan_menu.htm

you can also add markers with our standalone data logger by simply pushing a button.
I was under the understanding that you could, I was just looking for more information regarding the operation/capability. That link provides that information and I thank you for it.

Best regards,
Justin
Old 04-05-2007, 03:57 PM
Notorious BIG

I have HPTuners and EFILive both. (only have actual licenses for hpt though). I don't like either of them because i'm lazy and dumb. It be too hard for me's to learn.
Old 04-05-2007, 04:09 PM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LMAO!
Originally Posted by Holty
I have HPTuners and EFILive both. (only have actual licenses for hpt though). I don't like either of them because i'm lazy and dumb. It be too hard for me's to learn.

Quick Reply: HP Tuners or EFI Live