Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

HP Tuners or EFI Live

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 04:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

at dewmanshu and Holty's comments.

dewmanshu, for a newbie (from a marketing stand point) is why I think the demo helps. They can choose which they feel comfortable using. It is now down to user preference, much like choosing a Sierra vs a Silverado.

EFI does have a nice feature of internal unit conversion, but I have not come up to a situation where I need to look at the data in JIS format, for example.
Old 04-05-2007, 04:52 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

good point on demo versions.
Old 04-05-2007, 04:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

foff, there is no way to create UNITS that i know of in HPT. yes, you can have a calc PID which will convert C or F based PID into K effectively creating one, but that's not the point. HPT has tricks to do a lot of stuff. EFI has an infrastructure. Functionally they're largly equivalent, if you know enough tricks. To newbs there will be no difference, but to more seasoned tweakers. To some people EFI's power is too complex and complicated. I just smile and start creating histograms to see really esoteric relationships between data. To me HPT's 'ready-made bag of tricks' approach is limiting, while most people see it as 'friendly' and 'easy to use.' It's not 'easy to use' for me, when I cannot do something at all. And it's not going to leave me in a friendly mood when I have to chain 5 tricks together to get something done that is a given in an infrastructure.
Both programs DO the same thing--they are interfaces bridging human readable presentation and hex values on the PCM, thus it is impossible for them to do something 'new' (does not apply to Custom OS type extensions).
People who talk about how 'hard' editors are, dont know how to use them yet, or dont use it properly. favorites make it trivial. editors are generally not a place to spend time at though, you should know exactly what change to make, not poke and prod at it. I like to refer to scanners as 'where truth comes from.'
Tuning ability is NOT in the software. It's in your head. If you understand the processes and the principles, it's going to work fine regardless what interface you're using. The only difference is how nice and easy the scanner can make it for you to arrive at the same solution.

concentrate on your knowledge, understanding, and methodology, not shape and color of buttons on your interface.