Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

HP Tuners guys, Looking for some help on a 6L80/90 tune.

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 07:57 PM
Down and out

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HP Tuners guys, Looking for some help on a 6L80/90 tune.

Hey guys,

Looking for some help on a 6L80/90 tune.

Ive got a 2007.5 GMC Sierra 2500HD with a LY6 and a 90.

I peformed some internal transmission repairs to adress a flare into 3rd that we could not tune out. We found a cracked 1-2-3-4-5-r drum. We replaced that and the stator to update to a 2 piece seal ring for the 1-2-3-4-5-r drum.

I also installed a Circle D 258mm Multi Disc that stalls about 3200.

Initial tune completed, and this is a much happier truck, the converter did wonders for the truck, and the replaced parts ironed out the shifting issues. Added a tru-cool 40K cooler, and she is mint.

The thing that majorly annoys me at this point is when the converter unlocks immediately when you let off the throttle, then relocks right away when you apply.

The annoyance is the RPM flare when it does it, and its difficult to cruise in higher gears when your only applying a small throttle percent and keep the converter locked. so its in-out-in-out...etc. Id like to minimise the lock-unlock stuff to protect the life of the clutch material as well.

Is there any tables to look for that would allow a determined time from release of throttle to unlock of converter or something of that nature? (overridden by brake pedal input maybe?!)

I have a good friend doing my tuning, and is very good at what he does. He has made huge ends with this truck, But I hate to annoy him with my constant issues.

Im going to buy HP tuners in the next few days since I suspect me and this transmission will have a long tuning relationship to make it do exactly what I want.

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide me.

Ryan
Old 11-19-2012, 11:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hear mike @ new era performance is pretty good with tuning the 6L80/90 trans. Maybe pm him. ( and he is a vendor that also sells HPT)
Old 11-20-2012, 09:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

the lock and release tables in the tcc tab will be your new friend. you can force it to stay locked if you so desire. also will need to increase the pressure to keep it locked as well. from i think 26.61psi or something to above 75psi. bear in mind it is tps and speed based. has zero to do with rpm.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:24 AM
Down and out

Originally Posted by Area47
the lock and release tables in the tcc tab will be your new friend. you can force it to stay locked if you so desire. also will need to increase the pressure to keep it locked as well. from i think 26.61psi or something to above 75psi. bear in mind it is tps and speed based. has zero to do with rpm.
Thats awesome news!

I think I can learn to like this transmission. Just need to iron out the little quirks (im prob. the biggest quirk, OCD would be an understatment) Im used the the 4L80, firm and consistent, and will pick a gear and use it....So the 6L is a whole different animal. Shifts non stop, sometimes nice and sometimes like a junkpile..etc.

Im just assuming its going to be re-tuned nearly daily for a month or so and hopefully I can make some ends with it.

I need to find a friendly medium for the converter unlock TP and a downshift as well. I like it to unlock and let the converter do its thing in 6th on larger grades, say about 35% throttle, that way it can muscle up most grades without an unlock or downshift, etc. But not downshift with just a touch more throttle than an unlock as it is now.

There is no up or downshift TM as tuned. It works well most of the time, but when you stuff the throttle and it does a 6-2 downshift, it will often do it with a quick flare then a bump. Im going to have to figure that out too. I dont know if we can choose the degree of downshift TM, or its just on or off. The truck would fall on its face on downshifts before the TM removal, its loads better now, just quirky on how it feels. Basiclly not consistent on all gears or throttle positions.

Thanks for your time and advise!

I will have my stuff in a few days, ill begin logging and go from there. My goal is to get through this without wrecking anything, as this transmission is currently in perfect mechanical order. The engine tune is art work, so just the trans to deal with.

Ryan
Old 11-20-2012, 11:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

keep the stall from locking up in the 1-4 gears. up the tcc line pressure and zero out the slip tables. all of em.

the trans needs torque management to work right. if it is set up right, you won't feel or hear a difference in the shifts, or how fast it shifts. it takes very little in terms of how many tables you need to work over to get the trans to do what you want to do. it won't feel like a 4l series due to the clutch to clutch design and how it's setup.

there are some engine spark tables that do effect the trans as well. gotta keep that in mind. if the maf scaling or torque load cals are off, the trans will be off as well.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:01 PM
Down and out

This is going to be a leaning curve, I can just tell!

You run yours with the TM im place?

With the TM in place on my truck it shifted like a big floppy ****. Its loads better now.

Ill have to get the software loaded and see where were at. I appreciate the help on this!
Old 11-20-2012, 12:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Like Area47 mentioned make sure your MAF curve is smooth and spot on. It uses that table to do an equation and figure out I think desired torque or derived torque or something along those lines then uses that number to calculate how the shift is going to be performed and how fast or hard it will be applied.

So if your MAF is not smooth and accurate your shifts are never going to be
Old 11-20-2012, 12:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Delivered engine torque, that's it! (just verified in HP Tuners)
Old 11-20-2012, 12:22 PM
Down and out

Originally Posted by ak2007r6
Delivered engine torque, that's it! (just verified in HP Tuners)
Ill have to look, but my buddy does great tuning and I know he likes the MAF sensor like art work. I know he commented when he did the initial tune how close the MAF was to correct. One of the better he had seen.

Ill get this stuff figured out and post some logs and we will make some headway!

Ryan
Old 11-20-2012, 12:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BetMinesFaster
This is going to be a leaning curve, I can just tell!

You run yours with the TM im place?

With the TM in place on my truck it shifted like a big floppy ****. Its loads better now.

Ill have to get the software loaded and see where were at. I appreciate the help on this!
yep. i run between 50-75% in mine depend on where it is load wise.

Quick Reply: HP Tuners guys, Looking for some help on a 6L80/90 tune.