Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

hp tuners-for newbie?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 08:52 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hp tuners-for newbie?

i am new to tuning software and handhelds. im so new i have never used one. i know 4 people with diablo's and they swear by them, and they are easy to use. i have computer knowledge but little knowledge of vehicle computer systems and settings. should i stick to the predator, or should i get the hp tuner and find someone to show me how to use the features. is there even anyone in my area using this program? (shreveport, la area) and can hp tuners change my comp for new gears and tires sizes? this **** gets confusing
Old 12-17-2006, 08:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd get the tuning software, you can do so much with EFILive and HPTuners! You should ask around in the Southern section, there are a few LA guys that tune.
Old 12-17-2006, 09:01 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are serious about modding and want to learn the ins/outs of tuning then I say go for HPT. Yes, you can tune for gears and tire size and SOOO MUCH more than any handheld.
The downside is that it will take some learning but there does seem to be a lot of people willing to help.
Old 12-17-2006, 09:03 PM
Admin

Received 217 Likes on 173 Posts

First off yes HPT can change for gear and tire settings, 2nd- what is your vehicle, engine etc. HPT can do a whole lot, handhelds dont hold a candle to it, the best thing that you can do is start reading up on HPTuners forums to learn about different things. Being that you are new to the game you may think that going hand held is the easiest way, and while it is the effectiveness is not there. At some point you will regret buying a handheld, HPT allows you to adjust for every modification you make and really fine tune your vehicle. And when you need help with something between here and HPT forums I will bet that someone else has already asked the question so you can find it by doing a search. If not then ask away...
Old 12-17-2006, 09:08 PM
Launching!

thanks for all the info, i have been reading the hp tuners page and its confusing as far as the credit system and such....but i think once i play with it some i might figure it out. thanks again
Old 12-18-2006, 09:57 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

the credit system usually seems confusing until you see it in action once. As far as hptuners vs. handheld theres really no comparison
1. you'll be able to scan & read codes for nearly every 96+ GM vehicle & soon ford/dodge absolutly free(no credits needed to scan/clear DTC's)
2. complete adjustability of hundreds of parameters yet you could also setup hptuners to go into "beginner" mode which cuts the parameters down by ~70% only showing you the parameters most often changed while tuning so your not overwhelmed.
3. custom operating systems allow most users to tune using our real time tuning solution http://www.hptuners.com/help/vcm_editor_rtt.htm for next to nothing & in most cases wont cost you a dime over your initial purchase price.
4. a HUGE support forum with over 5300 members that are always willing to help answer questions.
5. TONS of supported vehicles & with enough credits to tune up to 4 of them with your initial purchase your vehicles will always be covered, for instance I had my 98Z tuned it, bought an 00 Grand Prix GTP tuned it, bought a 99 Buick century tuned it, bought a 98 V6 Camaro Tuned it so no matter what route you go you'll have coverage for a while and if you ever do run out of credits you can always "refill" with a simple online purchase where you can buy them singlely or in bulk.

Just start small with the simple stuff, speed limiters, Tq management, tire/gear changes, fan temp turn ons(probably wont get into that with your clutch type fan at first), etc.

Ask questions when you start getting into the other stuff, but also read our help file a bit www.hptuners.com/help as 90% of the questions you'll probably have are already answered there

Happy Tuning,
Bill