Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

HP Tuners price

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 12:33 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
Interesting, tell that to one of our Mods on this board, i believe he is still waiting for the CORRECT swap... Perhaps you can get him some help...

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...d.php?t=442551
He already talked to me about this, I'm not sure if he sent the new file so we could do the swap but this is the same with any tuning software, you must have a compatible os to do the swap from, without this theres no way to do the swap. If he is still in need of help he is more than welcome to email me the two files and I'll have our engineer do the swap for him.

Originally Posted by kbracing96
But for you brothers 08, you would need a V2 as V1 is only compatible up the 07 PCM's

What support limitations are you referring too??? A V1 will support every COS and tuning capability we offer for an 02 PCM. As well as has inputs for 2, 0-5v devises such as wide band O2's and a K-type thermocouple and can do up to 30 min of Black Box logging. As he stated, he's only interested in tuning his truck, not becoming a professional tuner and tuning everything under the sun. A V1 is perfectly capable for his tuning needs.
Read your own post, it won't do what he wants, if he wants the ability to tune 08 pcm's he would either need our MPVI interface or a far pricier V2...additionally our MPVI offers about an hour more standalone datalogging capability over the V1, multi make capability ie Ford & Dodge as well as generic obd2 scanning.

We could go back & forth all day as for the capabilities but as I've stated either product will do the job, just make sure he's aware of the drawbacks of the V1 so that he doesn't need to upgrade in a few months for $400 that he may or may not have when he wants to tune his brothers truck or if he decides to purchase a newer vehicle in the future.

-Bill
Old 12-08-2009, 07:57 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by foff667
He already talked to me about this, I'm not sure if he sent the new file so we could do the swap but this is the same with any tuning software, you must have a compatible os to do the swap from, without this theres no way to do the swap. If he is still in need of help he is more than welcome to email me the two files and I'll have our engineer do the swap for him.

I'll be happy to speak up here... as this is my situation. and Carey, sorry in advance for jacking your thread like this.

I've had a lot of email correspondence with Bill @ HPT and none of it has really been to any end or true help to me. I have asked simple questions and feel like I'm shoved on the backburner, avoided, and fed bull just so I'll go away. I've sent the correct file in to support more than once. and nothing has been sent back that worked. I've asked about swapping PCM's to an entirely different year, and all I get back in return is that you cant write a different OS onto a PCM without the risk of frying the PCM... OK, I understand this, but this in no way answers my question whatsoever. This has been the normal copy and paste answer every time I've asked. So obviously my questions arent being read to begin with.

The credit/license thing- To date I've got 4 credits tied up in my current tune. I licensed the original file, and swapped to a 2 bar OLSD OS... TO go to another PCM, I'd have to license it, and then reapply the 2 bar OS... I understand that there's gotta be certain licensing requirements so people cant screw the system and HPT can still make money, but for my ONE truck, I'll have all 8 of my original credits committed just to this one truck, at $50 a whack basically... and to do anything else, another vehicle etc... its another $100 bill. Horseshit... Spending 2 or even 4 credits isnt a huge deal... but by the time I swap PCM's I'll be twice that.

I will say that I'm pleased with the simplicity and operation of the software. but the support has been **** IMHO. I've had more help from members here than I have from HPT support, by far...

Here's our email string, you be the judge. I'm bold.

I've been doing some digging on the 4L80E WOT lock-up issue that some have
been experiencing. I sent my original file in for s trans segment swap
earlier this summer and have had lots of problems since to say the least
LOL.

I've been over and over my tables to find out why this thing wants to
command lock-up at WOT no matter what. Cant find anything. Was there some
sort of software update that I might have read about that I havent done yet?
Please let me know, I've just put in a brand new Rossler 4L80E and Yank
converter, not trying to fry them, but I'm wanting to get some tuning done
and take it to the track and get some numbers. Let me know which direction I
need to go with this.

Thanks alot,
Ben

Please send me your CURRENT .hpt file along with a scanner log of the lockup
issues while scanning the TCC lock status bits in the status bit window so I
can see what is being commanded at what mph/rpm.

Hey Bill, Thanks for the response. I'll attach my .hpt file to this email. I'm very leary of scanning for the wot lockup since this converter is in no way setup to handle such a thing. Ive got a Rossler built 4L80E and a Yank SC3000 billet converter. but the TC clutch itself is only a single disk setup... no bueno for WOT lockups. Lemme know what you can do with the file alone. I also have an untouched 2002 PCM from an original 4.8/60E truck that I was told would cure the problem. (maybe due to the newer OS? ) I can read that PCM and send the file to you for a seg swap too if thats what I need to do. I'd just have relicense it to my truck right??

anyway, Lemme know what you can do for me, either way we have to go about it, I CANT have my converter locking at WOT.

ben please send me your serial number so if we add some tables specific to your situation I know where to send the update.

Bill, here's my number:

xxxxxxxxxx

Anything to be done about this in the shorter term? What about the newer PCM?

Ben

What im doing is having our head engineer look over your file to see if there are any additional TCC tables(that you currently can't see in the editor) that might be screwing with things or if maybe we have one of the switches marked incorrectly or something like that. I honestly have no idea if a os from a different year will do any better, I suppose it depends on what settings are in the file in question, even with changing to a different os you might very well be right back where you are now so I'm trying to "nip it in the bud" so to speak.

Hey Bill,

Its been a few days, any solutions or progress in this situation?? let me know exactly what I need to do to swap to the newer OS if we end up trying that.

It likely won't be until sometime late next week at the very earliest before he can look into this. Changing to an entirely new operating system should only be considered as a last resort option and we do not recommend it as you risk frying your pcm by doing so. Changing to a different operating system starts with finding a donar file, making sure it is compatible with your vehicles pcm, licensing the file, then doing a write entire to your pcm to load the new operating system.

I've got a completely seperate PCM from a 2002 truck with 4.8/4L60E. My truck is currently a turbo'd 347ci/4L80E running on the original 5.3/4L60E PCM with a segment swap for the trans change. The only other changes I've made to my current OS besides the seg swap is the conversion is to the 2 bar OLSD setup. Why couldnt I have the new file (from the 2002 PCM) seg swapped, and just relicense the PCM to my truck? and just put all my calibrations in... no file swapping onto different PCM's would have to take place, no fried PCM's... feasible?

Ben

Segments are NOT compatible between years. There ONLY compatible between identical operating systems.

Bill,

I still have no resolution to this issue. There has been made mention of an update to the editor?? I'm still in limbo on this thing. I need to get it on the track to do some much needed suspension tuning. I've considered just putting a toggle switch in the TCC circut and breaking it when I'm at the track... BUT, I'm sure it would throw a code and potentially throw it into limp mode. I need to get this resolved in a bad way... I can send you my MOST recent file (from a day or two ago) if need be, all the other information should be included in this correspondence.

Ben Merritt

Its not a software limitation, its a limitation of if you put in the wrong segment you fry your pcm period.

I understand that. however, what am I to do in the mean time? I cant be the only one out there with this issue. I've found a 'band-aid' for the problem by tunring the TCC PWM off with the VCM controls. This means every time I want to do a WOT pull, I have to have the laptop in the truck, scanning and switch the PWM off. I want to get in start the truck and drive it how I want, I thought that was the entire point of purchasing software such as this... This is my DD/street/strip/play truck. I dont tote a laptop everywhere I go in it, and dont want to have to.

So, I ask again, how can this be resolved correctly??

Ben Merritt

I suppose most probably take a comparable file from another vehicle & flash it in, there are more operating systems that don't allow for segment swaps than do so its pretty common as some simply weren't used in both 4l60 & 4l80 combinations.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:58 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

Thisis in no way meant to start a **** flinging party... Just figured I'd post my input and experiences when you say you have so many happy customers and nobody complains.

FYI, My HPT setup is for sale...
Old 12-08-2009, 08:31 AM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by blackgmc
efi live ftw!

+1....
Old 12-08-2009, 05:25 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had a lot of email correspondence with Bill @ HPT and none of it has really been to any end or true help to me. I have asked simple questions and feel like I'm shoved on the backburner, avoided, and fed bull just so I'll go away. I've sent the correct file in to support more than once. and nothing has been sent back that worked.
Ben I've resent the information to our head engineer for review, not sure why he wasn't able to get back to me but I'll take the blame for that.

I've asked about swapping PCM's to an entirely different year, and all I get back in return is that you cant write a different OS onto a PCM without the risk of frying the PCM... OK, I understand this, but this in no way answers my question whatsoever.
You probably can, our software was never intended for this so I can't give you first hand advice or say yes or no it will or won't work hence the reason for the answer I gave.

This has been the normal copy and paste answer every time I've asked. So obviously my questions arent being read to begin with.
I can say with certainty none of the answers you posted are copy & paste answers. There have been alot of changes in your application so troubleshooting is very difficult with the limited information we've been given ie only the bin file, no scanner logs,etc.

Again I'll have our head engineer review the file to see if there are any tables we need to add for your operating system as the only thing I can think of is maybe the TCC WOT apply/release speed vs gear tables are set low in your bin creating a lockup issue at wot.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:23 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

I WON'T scan and record this issue as my parts aren't built to handle what's happening, which is why I want to keep it from happening all together... Square 1, here we are again....

Would you run a motor longer without oil just to prove there's no oil pressure? Asking for trouble...

The 'copy & paste' comment was more a figure of speech... Just seems like a lot of your replies are standardized blanket statements.

I appreciate having your engineers look at it again as I'd still love to get it resolved CORRECTLY... If it had been addressed thoroughly the first time I don't believe we'd be where we are today