Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Hp tuners scanner 4l80E questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2016 | 05:38 PM
Teching In

Default Hp tuners scanner 4l80E questions

Ok after trying to help another guy in the thread below me I decided to look at my own truck, all wiring is correct and solenoids are in the correct spot, the truck shifts fine. What I am noticing is when I'm in 1st gear the 3-4 solenoid is on 1-2 is off, when I am in 3rd gear 1-2 is on 3-4 is off. When I'm in 4th gear 1-2 3-4 are on like they are supposed to be. Why are the solenoids showing backwards when scanning? I can command the 1-2 solenoid on and it works as it should the same with the 3-4 but they aren't working like they should when driving/scanning? Can anyone offer an explanation? I did my own segment swap, did something go wrong? Or what's going on?
Old 06-10-2016 | 08:54 AM
I have a gauge for that

Well so heres the solenoid chart for the 60e,

And here is one for the 80e,

Both have 2 solenoids but obviously the combinations are different (which is why you have to do a segment swap or use a relay to reverse the polarity to do the swap).

Is your truck shifting alright and drives fine? If so I wouldnt worry about it and just call it a holdover from originally being a 60e truck.
Old 06-10-2016 | 07:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Atomic
Well so heres the solenoid chart for the 60e,

And here is one for the 80e,

Both have 2 solenoids but obviously the combinations are different (which is why you have to do a segment swap or use a relay to reverse the polarity to do the swap).

Is your truck shifting alright and drives fine? If so I wouldnt worry about it and just call it a holdover from originally being a 60e truck.

Yeah no funny business when driving, just the scanner doesn't indicate properly. This morning I went in with the scanner and commanded the 1-2 on and truck manually in first it wouldn't move, gave the ECM control again(it turned on"indicated" 3-4) and truck was in first gear like it should be. I guess I'll deal with it being a holdover, thank you for the reply and helping put my fears do rest lol
Old 06-23-2016 | 07:55 PM
TECH Resident

I was about to post a new thread about this here, but you hear me to it... I was the one from HPT forum that was trying to figure this out with you as well.

I contacted HPT support and sent them my tune files, segment swap vehicle file... They got back to me and basically said that everything looked fine with my tune. Here is what the email said:

Unfortunately we do not perform any in house tuning or calibration work. If you already own our product and are looking For free tuning advice please visit our user help forum at HP Tuners Bulletin Board

the ecm spits out scanner info even if something isn't used, oil pressure for instance in many cases is spit out even though there is no data being sent, whatever info you see being sent out by the ecm is what is being sent, its not an issue on our end. Regarding your question about installing things backwards we are not a transmission shop, nor do we build transmissions, nor diagnose transmission issues.

Use the forum for your tuning or transmission related questions we cannot assist you any further than what we have.

HP Tuners LLC
HPTuners.com >> Performance At Your Fingertips

---Ticket History---
HPT Client Posted On: 13 June 2016 02:30 PM

If there are no issues, Can you explain to me why the scanner is logging the solenoid function incorrectly, as well as showing that there's a 3-2 solenoid and a 3-4 solenoid(when the 4L80e does not have them)?

Is there even a possibility the truck can actually shift, if they were installed backwards in the valve body by the builder?

HPT Staff Posted On: 13 June 2016 12:58 PM

Bill said that there doesn't seem to be any issues in the file. You may ask around about the issues your having on the forum.

That being said, I know that the 4l80e shares 12v power to the shift solenoids and at least one if them is wired up with the poles reversed from the way the 4l60e is wired. It makes sense that it could be different in the way it picks up the solenoids, but it doesn't make sense that it would read the solenoids backwards. I have all been logging shift speed errors of an average of 6.0 seconds! For the shifts with solenoids 1-2 and 3-4(even though there isn't supposed to be a 3-4 solenoid in the 80e).. The 3-2 solenoid(not 2-3) also shows up as non functional in my logs.

Last edited by chris99gmc; 06-23-2016 at 08:03 PM.