Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

HPTuners and EFLive question

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 08:19 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HPTuners and EFLive question

If you buy a two year like HP Tuners and say get an 02 and an 04 license files can you tune any other year with the same software?? And if no why does it work this way.
Is EFLive the same way?
I know its a dumb question but I had to ask.
Old 04-11-2006, 11:07 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

With HP Tuners, we give you all sorts of licensing options.

Here is a couple of screenshots of how our licensing actually works:

License Activation:
http://www.hptuners.com/help/vcm_edi...activation.htm

License Information:
http://www.hptuners.com/help/introdu...cense_info.htm

All VCM Suite orders come with 8 credits standard, you can add more upfront or at a later date any time.

Per our VCM Suite Features list:
http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2936

General - Licensing Samples
With your VCM Suite order, you'll receive 8 GM credits. If 8 are not enough, you can purchase more at any time. With 8 credits though, you can unlock licenses like the following:
• 4 LS1 Single Vehicles
• 2 LS1 Single Vehicles and 1 LS2 Single Vehicle
• 2 LS2 Single Vehicles
• 1 LS1 Year/Model and 1 2 Bar VCM Enhancement
• 3 LS1 Single Vehicles and 2 1 Bar VCM Enhancements
• 1 LS1 Single Vehicle and 1 2 Bar VCM Enhancement with 4 credits remaining!
• Many more configurations possible!

So, using HP Tuners it depends on how you license your vehicle. If you license it as a year/model license, than you can tune an unlimited number of vehicles of that particular year/model combination. If you license it as a single vehicle (lower cost), you will be able to tune that particular vehicle and unlimited number of times.

Also, another solution that we offer that others do not is a low up front cost solution to go from single vehicle licenses to year/model licenses.

For example, Lets say you're not sure you want to license your vehicle as a year/model (6 credits), so you chose the single vehicle license instead (2 credits).. Well, if you license 3 more single vehicle licenses of the same year/model type, you automatically get the year/model license for free. You don't have to send your interface back to us or e-mail us for an upgrade. Its automatic in the software.

To take this example further.

You license your 2002 Silverado as a single vehicle, (2 credits)
You license another 2002 Sierra as a single vehicle, (2 credits)
You license another 2002 Silverado as a single vehicle, (2 credits)
You license another 2002 Silverado as a single vehicle, (2 credits)

You have spent 8 credits on 2002 Silverado/Sierra single vehicle licenses. Per our upgrade credyt system, you recieve 75% of that toward the year/model upgrade. Since 75% of 8 is 6, and the year/model license requires 6 credits, you automatically receive it for free and now can tune an unlimited number of 2002 silverados and sierras.

Our credit system may seem a little complicated at first, but once you start to use it you will see that its far superior to any other licensing system currently available. Its all about giving you as many options as possible and creating many paths to go from a low up front cost tuning solution toward a full blown tunershop package.

Hope this helps.

- Keith, HP Tuners

Last edited by Magnus; 04-11-2006 at 11:13 AM.
Old 04-11-2006, 12:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

EFILive comes with 2 PCM licenses. It will allow you to tune any 2 PCM's. Its not vin locked, but PCM locked. You could take the PCM out of your truck (if you sold it or something) and put it in another truck and change the vin and still tune it with out consuming a license. Each additional license is $99. The only time you consume a license is when you actually write calabrations to a pcm. So you can scan, use bi-direction controls and read all the PCM you want with out consuming any licenses.
Old 04-11-2006, 12:55 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TG02Z71
If you buy a two year like HP Tuners and say get an 02 and an 04 license files can you tune any other year with the same software??
I bought 02 and 04. One software, any truck that is an 02 and 04 (or at least has the pcm). No pcm lock just year.
Old 04-11-2006, 01:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by dewmanshu
I bought 02 and 04. One software, any truck that is an 02 and 04 (or at least has the pcm). No pcm lock just year.
They don't sell it like that anymore, They only have the credit system, unless you buy a used cable with the old year type licensing.
Old 04-11-2006, 01:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

If you go with HPT, make sure your get the pro version with the IEO cable, so you can hook a Wide Band to it. It the only way to tune and well worth the extra money.
Old 04-11-2006, 02:03 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kbracing96
They don't sell it like that anymore, They only have the credit system, unless you buy a used cable with the old year type licensing.
I keep forgetting about the crazy credit system.
Old 04-11-2006, 04:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by kbracing96
EFILive comes with 2 PCM licenses. It will allow you to tune any 2 PCM's. Its not vin locked, but PCM locked. You could take the PCM out of your truck (if you sold it or something) and put it in another truck and change the vin and still tune it with out consuming a license. Each additional license is $99. The only time you consume a license is when you actually write calabrations to a pcm. So you can scan, use bi-direction controls and read all the PCM you want with out consuming any licenses.
You say its PCM locked? I have two PCMs.
I bought an extra just to have while sending tunes back and forth to Allen Nelson, and also to have a back up in case I needed to go back to the previous tunes set-up if something did not work right.
As well as peace of mind, I drive this puppy every day and cannot afford to be without it.

Magnus, thank you for all the valuable information. Thinking I understand it all now, at least I will after I read your post again. Is the PCM lock thing a real issue? I would like to have the ability to use my second PCM at the track as a two tunes test senario, without having to retune at the track with the software.
Let me know, thanks again.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:48 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

fwiw reflashes take ~25 seconds...don't see that being too much of a problem at the track
Old 04-11-2006, 08:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

You would have to use both licences to be able to write to both PCM's, but it is EXRTEMLY difficult to kill a pcm with either software so you really only need one PCM. As far as changing the tunes at the track, it's faster to reflash in a new or slightly different tune (about 40 sec) then to physically swap the PCM's.

Quick Reply: HPTuners and EFLive question