Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Idle RPM's & Trans tables

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 01:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Idle RPM's & Trans tables

I hope I did some good, cause my current mileage is only 11.4.

HPT - changed the following. IDK if this is enuff info to help me get some answers, but it's all I changed. I mean from the tune that it already has.

I tried to use red here to denote before, green = after. Hopefully it makes sense.

Under Editor > Engine - Target Idle Speed vs Collant Temp vs. (Drive & Park, A/C on & off). The ECT (°F) on how mine are setup are: 4 vertical columns from -40°- 25°. Then 46°. Then 68°. And lastly, 89° & up.

-40- +25: (°F) 800, I left the first 3 columns @ 800 rpms tweaked the 25° column to 750. 46 (°F) 795 became 750.
68(°F) 750 now it's 700.
All others were 700, I lowered all to 650.

Trans> Auto Shift Speed - WOT Shift Speed vs Shift. There's a Normal, Perf. & Hot. I only messed w/. the normal, not the Tow or Hot.
1-2, 2-3, 3-4, then 2-1, 3-2, 4-3 shifts.
Were 39 , 73, & 130. Were 34, 70 & 126.

Now:35, 70. And 33, 68.

My question: By tryin to use less fuel & lowering most RPMs by -50, will I actually consume more @ idle, as it doesn't idle as smooth? It's not bad, just more pronounced choppy sound. Not obnoxious by any means.

Will only changing these 2 parameters help mileage at all?

The idle won't affect my performance, but the shift points I wanna see on my day-day work drive.

I really wanted to find out how to get my LTFT's back, as my tuner deleted them.
Also, I have 83k on my orig. o2's.

Any help or helpful ideas, I'd appreciate.

Last edited by fastnblu; 04-11-2011 at 01:15 AM. Reason: Tried to make easier to read.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:07 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lowering the Idle may or may not help. You'd have to look at your injector pulse width from before and after and see if it went down or not. Changing the wide open throttle shift speeds won't help DD at all unless you drive the truck wide open.

Where you need to change is the light throttle stuff to get to a higher gear sooner so your RPMs drop.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by bullygoat
Lowering the Idle may or may not help. You'd have to look at your injector pulse width from before and after and see if it went down or not. Changing the wide open throttle shift speeds won't help DD at all unless you drive the truck wide open.

Where you need to change is the light throttle stuff to get to a higher gear sooner so your RPMs drop.
OK, I'll try to look @ inj. pulse width before & after.
On the road home from work, the same thought occurred to me; that WOT only helps that segment, not part throttle. I thought my shift speeds would help, but ya, I need to find what table enables lockup. I wanna back it down a wee bit.

I also thought I was gonna need a winter tune vs the other 3 seasons. Cause my efans draw so much, plus my defroster / heater; sometimes both run at once. And also, along w/. headlights, etc., I don't want idle too low then. I think I'll worry bout it in 6-7 months. Prior to yesterday for both e-fans on / off, I already did a winter vs other seasons. No need to run cooler fan settings when it's really chilly out.

Sometimes I do my best thinkin after I stew over it. Also, when I sit for a few moments.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:30 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 391 Likes on 261 Posts

to reenable LTFTs go to engine > fuel > open and closed loop> on the right under long term fuel trims select enable and put the min temp at something like 140 and the max temp at 285
Old 04-11-2011, 09:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Atomic
to reenable LTFTs go to engine > fuel > open and closed loop> on the right under long term fuel trims select enable and put the min temp at something like 140 and the max temp at 285
I saw the OL & CL part. I even saw the min & max temps. I musta missed the enable. I'll go looksee today.
Thanks Richard.

Ya know, I saw your name on tuner repository too, as I have in the past, but never tried to download tunes before. I tried to download it to view some of your tables. But I kept comin up empty.

Microsoft said how do u wanna view. After that I couldn't get that mssg. to come up again, but I also couldn't see anything. I tried save, tried open. I must be doin somethin wrong.

I know back then u were FI & had 60# inj. but I was after the trans stuff.

Last edited by fastnblu; 04-11-2011 at 09:42 AM.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:13 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 391 Likes on 261 Posts

You could just open the file with the editor...or right click, properties, open with, and find the editor
Old 04-11-2011, 12:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Post up your tune so we can have a look. We may be able to steer you in the right direction. As for the idle with fans and defroster running, don't worry about it. The vehicle will compensate to keep the idle up.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Atomic
You could just open the file with the editor...or right click, properties, open with, and find the editor
I'll try that when I get the laptop back in my possession.

Originally Posted by bullygoat
Post up your tune so we can have a look. We may be able to steer you in the right direction. As for the idle with fans and defroster running, don't worry about it. The vehicle will compensate to keep the idle up.
Will do, if my bro gets home earlier enuff. The 1 time I'm just itching to use it, he takes it to school. If not, tomorrow.

I thought it'd be an issue (both fans on, w/ defrost & other accessories)?

I'm not computer saavy by any means. Just last night, I read how to save a log. I believe I understand how, but I have yet to try that. When I learn some basics on how-tos on HPT, the rest will gradually fall into place. I hope.

Last edited by fastnblu; 04-11-2011 at 12:45 PM.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

11.4mpg ?? Do you run it wide open all the time?
My 6L gets better than that towing..
What LSA is your cam?
Old 04-11-2011, 01:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ya, Jonathan, I think I need another hobby. Guns maybe?

And yes, alot of u guys on here are getting better MPG's outta yer 6L's. Makes me keep thinkin, maybe.

Gas mileage is 1 concern to me, w/. a 6L. The other is I already have the 5.3 bought & paid for. And lastly, not sure how well the FLT L7 will hold up to a Radix & 6L.

114 LSA
http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/c...csid=1085&sb=0

Last edited by fastnblu; 04-11-2011 at 02:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Idle RPM's & Trans tables