Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Idle tuning problem solved?? (Me V. The PCM)

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 07:01 PM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Idle tuning problem solved?? (Me V. The PCM)

Ok, here are the issues I have been dealing with for a long time now. I thought the cam swap to a wider lsa was gonna fix it but it didn’t. This post is to maybe help others who are tuning idle and give them things to look at as well as thank all those listed below who have been helping me.

Warm or cold doesn’t matter.
When going from P to R it struggles and dies or hunts for idle.
When you come to a stop sign/light it is fine right until you come to a complete stop then it tries to die.
When in P or N if I rev it up at all and let off the gas it dies instantly.
It runs great at any other time. Turning a corner at a slow speed is pretty scary because I'm waiting for it to die and loose my steering.
Also if I am in any gear @ idle and put a high voltage load on the truck it drops idle to 400 or lower and surges or just dies. By high load I mean rolling all 4 windows up at the same time etc. (Tahoe)
AND...lol, the AC will not blow cold at idle and it surges when the compressor kicks on and off.

So for the last week I have bothered every known EFI Live tuner I could find. Jesse at Wait4Me, DC_Justin, Chad @ Greenlight (Black02SS), BigRedExpress99, I am probably missing a few but anyway….I got a lot on useful info and made some changes.

I think I might have it whipped at this point and just need some minor tweaking.

Other than the 15 tables Jesse modified for me I messed with these:

B4307: I set it just a few % above stock

B4309: That whole table under 12mph and 1600rpm was set at 0! I adjusted it up by copying BigRed’s table.

B0101: I had a pretty huge drop off in my main VE table near idle, below 1200 rpm the graph dropped like a cliff. So I adjusted those cells up to blend more with everything above 1200. For this I just made the 3D graphic look smooth and then did a sanity check by looking at the numbers in the tables.

The short ride I took afterwards holds a lot of promise. I couldn’t get it to die when putting it in gear or when I got home and rev’d that bitch up to 6K and dropped off. It came back down to idle and didn’t budge.

My only question is:

Now that I’ve adjusted the main VE table below 1200rpm, does that have any effect on other tables that I should worry about? I didn’t do any WOT runs to check my AFR but I don’t think it should have too much to do with that, right?

I’m beginning to like my truck again.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like ya got it whipped!! I took a look at the tables you emailed me about, and it looked like what you thought you needed to fix you were right!! Your headed in the right direction!! We'll keep taking a look at it hereto see if we see anything else....
Old 01-15-2007, 09:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks my truck does the same thing so ill get my tuner to check those tables