Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Interesting problems!!?!?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 03:56 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interesting problems!!?!?!?!?

OK, I ordered my buddy with a 2002 RCSB 5.3 a mail order tune and installed it. After the install the tranny went haywire and we put the stock PCM back in. The tranny was still screwing up with the stock PCM. He took the truck to the dealer this is what he was told.

The program changed things in the eletrical components (ie selenoids and valves, possibly a stuck noid etc). This change can only be reversed by connecting directly to michigan and reprogramming the entire truck, not just the PCM.

This sounds completely ODD!!!

Can anyone verify this, similar stories, advise?

The tuned PCM was sent back and he got the new PCM and is affraid to put it in once the truck is fixed.

Opinions on this?
Old 09-08-2005, 04:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

I'm not really sure, but I don't think you can actually reprogram the entire truck. I mean, what else is there to reprogram. The PCM changes the sensors, silinoids, ect.
I would first try disconnecting the battery for about an hour without any PCM, then reinstall the factory PCM, then reconnect the battery.
The mail order tune you installed could have ruined a servo or sensor in the tranny at the same time.
These cheap mail order tunes need to be aware of as potential problems. They may send you out another tune, but it should have been right from the beginning.
I'm seeing a lot of issues posted here on these cheap mail order tunes on this web-site.
I would have originally just spent the extra money and received a mail order tune from a reputable tuner that has been out there for quite some time.
I.E. Nelson, Westers, MTI, and so on to name a few.
This is very unfortunate problem that happened to him and hope he gets it fixed soon.

Jim
Old 09-08-2005, 04:44 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBC
This change can only be reversed by connecting directly to michigan and reprogramming the entire truck, not just the PCM.
That's a crock of I've never heard anything like this...the parameters are stored in the PCM. Sounds like something a service writer would say...

There ia a possibility that something in the trans got damaged...possible solenoid or even a hard part that didn't play well with the increased line pressure that was most likely tuned into it.
Old 09-08-2005, 04:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea they are trying to rip you but thats what a dealership is a stealership right just put the stock pcm in and unhook the battery cable overnight should fix it.
Old 09-08-2005, 04:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=budhayes3] Sounds like something a service writer would say...

QUOTE]
Thats not cool, I'm a service writer It's ok, I know it was just a general statement.
On the topic at hand, that does sound like a crock to me. The 2002 trucks are pretty basic, all they have is a pcm and a bcm. I would lean more towards the mail order tune screwed somthing up more than the whole truck needing to be programmed. Never heard of that, we program pcm's here all the time, it's not a big deal. I would find another dealer.
did it throw any fault codes? If so, what are they?
Old 09-08-2005, 05:04 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=ranwalk]
Originally Posted by budhayes3
Sounds like something a service writer would say...

QUOTE]
Thats not cool, I'm a service writer It's ok, I know it was just a general statement.
Sorry bout that, no offense intended. Actually, some of my best friends are service writers, and FWIW, I had a short stint as one myself (unfortunately I don't respond well to angry customers, so that didn't last)