Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Knock knock.... who's there? KR

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 08:08 AM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

a 14.3 is purring! LOL your other knock is more than likely fake...just a matter of fine tuning you sensors for those particular areas. I gotta got to a side job, I'll check out your logs later. Congrats though!!!
Old 09-30-2006, 12:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Whippled 496
Yup, with the help of you guys im definately getting there. So how do i start getting rid of this mid throttle KR? I get KR in those areas when the ECT's and IATs are below 100*, so i know it has nothing to do with heat. Also, how do i get into PE quicker? I have the threashold set to 45 and the ramp in set at zero. How do i get ti to come in quicker? Cat protection is disabled.

I have looked and looked and can find nothing to do do with TM in the Allison TCM, is that where it is? I know its not in the PCM. I dont really want to mess with that thing, but i would like to understand it. Yea, the Allison shifts pretty slow, but i can adjust that and i can adjust the RPM shift point a little too, but like i said......i get a little weak in the knees fooling with that thing. I might go in and reset the TAP cells so it will learn again. I couldnt do that before, so the Allison had to adjust itself to the increased HP. maybe i will reset them and let it do a complete relearn.

I really wish i would have raised that timing a few more degrees for that last run. It held 13.5* just fine with no KR, i bet it would have held 15* too, that may have been my 13 second pass as well. Wait till i get that intercooler and i can keep those IATs in the 120*-130* range almost all of the time....i think 15*-16* timing at WOT might not be out of the question at that point.

So, i need to work on entering PE quicker and mid throttle KR now....cant wait to get this thing purring.
look under transmission calibration-torque reduction-shift tables
Its gonna pull what it calculates as 50% of your power during shifts, also look at shift times it takes 4/10 of a second to shift thats alot

As far as entering pe I would start noticing on the ve and maf curve the general area where you start to go into pe and bump em to help with getting fuel faster.
Old 09-30-2006, 04:23 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 02sierraz71_5.3
look under transmission calibration-torque reduction-shift tables
Its gonna pull what it calculates as 50% of your power during shifts, also look at shift times it takes 4/10 of a second to shift thats alot.
That stuff is in the PCM screen, all my tranny tuning is done in the Allison TCM. Its a totally different screen, with totally different selections than the tranny stuff in the PCM screen. I posted a screen shot of the Allison window. See how on the left all i have is the tranny selection.

As far as entering pe I would start noticing on the ve and maf curve the general area where you start to go into pe and bump em to help with getting fuel faster.
not real sure how to adjust the MAF, but i understand the VE table pretty well, so i will see if i can get working on that.
Attached Thumbnails Knock knock.... who's there?  KR-tranny.jpg  
Old 09-30-2006, 04:43 PM
TECH Junkie

That stuff is in the PCM screen, all my tranny tuning is done in the Allison TCM. Its a totally different screen, with totally different selections than the tranny stuff in the PCM screen. I posted a screen shot of the Allison window. See how on the left all i have is the tranny selection.
why is the screen different is that just something solely for the allison?
Whats the purpose since the pcm has the same settings?
Old 09-30-2006, 05:24 PM
TECH Addict

why is the screen different is that just something solely for the allison?
Whats the purpose since the pcm has the same settings?
Yes, just like you open a .tun file for the PCM.......there is a .tun file for the Allison. Its a whole new world for the tranny tuning with the allison. There are different PIDs and Allison scanning/logging too. Its sort of an anomoly with the 8.1L allison trucks, because the diesel trucks dont have a transmission section at all when you open up thier .tun PCM file. So i think that any changes made to the tranny section of the 8.1L PCM have no effect. At least thats what i am told. I really need to ask someone who knows for sure, but i cant find anyone...LOL. If you open the tranny sections all the parameters are for a 4 speed tranny, so i know that those sections cant effect me, im a 5 speed auto. But im not sure about the traction control sections and a few others. Guess i need to experiment with that.

Here is my Allison tune.....check it out.

http://www.pasadenatownhall.com/allison.zip

Last edited by Whippled 496; 09-30-2006 at 05:33 PM.
Old 09-30-2006, 05:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Here is my take on the TM with the 8.1 and the Allison. I don't think the TCM has anything to do with it, since the PCM uses timing to reduce the power for the shift and I don't believe the TCM can "talk" to the PCM like that. I think the PCM tell the TCM when and how to shift, then the TCM ajust to its settings. I know the PCM only has 4 gears in the torque reduction table, and that may just be a codeing over site on EFIlives part, but I would bet that they still control TM for the shifts. Give it a shot and reduce them all by 50% and log GM.EST_XMSN_DMA to monitor for spark retard form TM. Worth a shot.
Old 09-30-2006, 06:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by kbracing96
Here is my take on the TM with the 8.1 and the Allison. I don't think the TCM has anything to do with it, since the PCM uses timing to reduce the power for the shift and I don't believe the TCM can "talk" to the PCM like that. I think the PCM tell the TCM when and how to shift, then the TCM ajust to its settings. I know the PCM only has 4 gears in the torque reduction table, and that may just be a codeing over site on EFIlives part, but I would bet that they still control TM for the shifts. Give it a shot and reduce them all by 50% and log GM.EST_XMSN_DMA to monitor for spark retard form TM. Worth a shot.
Thats what Ive been thinking after looking at the tables specifically for the allison they only deal with shift times
Ive used those tables to reduce TM and they will even though there is only 4 gears, baby steps Id pull 20% and see how it goes
Old 10-01-2006, 09:37 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by kbracing96

Okay, i suppose thats a possibility, but just playing "devils advocate" here. Why the redundancy, if the PCM tells the TCM what to? There are parameters in the TCM that the PCM tranny section does not have. Does the TCM overide the PCMs instructions in certain instances? Are you aying that change made within the TCM have no effect on things? Thats would be a lot of work by EFILive for nothing to create that whole TCM interface. I only drew my conclusions based on what a Dmax .tun file looks like, with there being no tranny section in it at all. There is only one way to find out though.... I will do some logging this afternnoon and see what happens.
Old 10-01-2006, 09:40 AM
TECH Addict

er, wait.......i dont think the PCM and TCM communicate with each other at all in the 8.1L application. Where as they DO, in the diesel application. Man, i dont get why GM did it this way. I will do some logging this afternoon and hopefully find some answers.
Old 10-01-2006, 12:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Okay, i suppose thats a possibility, but just playing "devils advocate" here. Why the redundancy, if the PCM tells the TCM what to? There are parameters in the TCM that the PCM tranny section does not have. Does the TCM overide the PCMs instructions in certain instances? Are you aying that change made within the TCM have no effect on things? Thats would be a lot of work by EFILive for nothing to create that whole TCM interface. I only drew my conclusions based on what a Dmax .tun file looks like, with there being no tranny section in it at all. There is only one way to find out though.... I will do some logging this afternnoon and see what happens.
My best guess is that the PCM doesn't "speak" Allison, so it tells the TMC what to do and then the TMC makes its own adjustments and then tells the trans what to do possible overriding conflicting instructions from the PCM. Just guessing here really, but it sound good . If the PCM functions didn't do anything, then I think they would be grayed out. I guess the only way to find out is to make some changes and get some logs and see what happens. Just a little more R&D

Quick Reply: Knock knock.... who's there? KR