Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

knock sensor false retard

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 05:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when i worked at teh chvey house, I was always told that the wiring harness on the sensors is what goes out, usually not the sensors. So when a buddy needed the sensors replace due to the SES and code being thrown, All of it got replaces, sensors and wires. The guy also put a bead of silicone around each sensor hole to prevent water from sitting on top of the sensors.
Old 04-20-2008, 07:03 PM
On The Tree

thanks, well i didnt change the tune for my little trip. didnt want to risk it knockin if there really was a reason for it for the whole trip. might mess with it tomorrow though, or just wait till i get HP tuners
Old 04-20-2008, 07:24 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by charcold-bowtie
when i worked at teh chvey house, I was always told that the wiring harness on the sensors is what goes out, usually not the sensors. So when a buddy needed the sensors replace due to the SES and code being thrown, All of it got replaces, sensors and wires. The guy also put a bead of silicone around each sensor hole to prevent water from sitting on top of the sensors.
The intake valley is great place to collect trash. Water collects, all of it causing corrosion.
Old 04-20-2008, 08:36 PM
On The Tree

so should i drop the kr value down to a few deg. and then run it and listen for knock, i am assuming it will be fine as i know what to listen for, heck i have been listening to my noisy valve train for a while now.

Tim
Old 04-20-2008, 11:56 PM
Staging Lane

the computer can sence knock long b4 you can hear it let it do its job but you may want to zero the bursy knock retard timing. burst knock is not real knock but anticipated knock when you lay into the gas the computer thinks it needs to pull timing to prevent knock b4 it actually happens zeroing the table might help you
Old 04-21-2008, 10:12 AM
On The Tree

ok thanks will give it a try.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by BLACK-SS
the computer can sence knock long b4 you can hear it let it do its job but you may want to zero the bursy knock retard timing. burst knock is not real knock but anticipated knock when you lay into the gas the computer thinks it needs to pull timing to prevent knock b4 it actually happens zeroing the table might help you
burst knock doesn't show on the scanner as kr
Old 04-21-2008, 10:33 AM
On The Tree

but burst know would knock my timing down right, which i would see on the scanner in btdc.

i would like to fix this but also dont wanna reduce kr and hurt the motor, not like a few seconds of knock will kill a motor anyhow, but i just dont want to have any knock yet dont like the comp taking out 8deg
Old 04-21-2008, 10:39 AM

yeah, just like other spark advance/retard tables, it will reduce timing and you will see the reduction in less timing than commanded. But just like TQ management, you won't know why the timing is being reduced. You have a different issue IMHO. Without being able to see your tune it's pretty much a guessing game on everyone's part here on pt.net.

Honestly, I am on board with zero'ing out burst knock tables, I just don't think it has anything to do with your issues.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:48 AM
On The Tree

my tune links where posted at the bottom of page one, by a nice local guy on here.

Quick Reply: knock sensor false retard