Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

KR tables... do you think this will work?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2005, 09:46 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i havent done anything yet. havent messed with the transgo stuff either.

ive gotten as far as copying my high octane tables to the low octane table and thats it. next im going to flash the PCM with that and drive around for about an hour, and try to hit as many cells as possible.

im going off of a spread sheet i found on the HPT forum.
Old 07-30-2005, 09:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by onyx
i havent done anything yet. havent messed with the transgo stuff either.

ive gotten as far as copying my high octane tables to the low octane table and thats it. next im going to flash the PCM with that and drive around for about an hour, and try to hit as many cells as possible.

im going off of a spread sheet i found on the HPT forum.
please please
read the 101 sticky in the tuning section and save yor engine some pitting and worn rings from detonation
Old 07-30-2005, 10:15 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by 02sierraz71_5.3
please please
read the 101 sticky in the tuning section and save yor engine some pitting and worn rings from detonation

the tuning 101 word document is what im going off of.
Old 07-30-2005, 11:39 PM
TECH Junkie

adding timing is the last thing you want to do with the huge amount of kr you have the amount you have is alot especially with that table being averaged
we want to pull timing on both tables and get our fueling right, in order to get fueling right your gonna have to do alot of high rpm driving and "pulsing" to fill in all the cells. If you are using the timing tables you have now while tuning trims you are very likely to damage something from detonation especially when you run into lean conditions its a formula for disaster.

Put the stock timing tables in tune the fuel trims in SD with the ve table, there are several methods of doing this all work.

you can always add timing later some of the things in the stickie I agree with some dont make sense

1. put timing tables to stock
2. set maf fail frquency to 0, puts in SD
3. set closed loop enable to 285 in all cells, this disables long term trims makes things quicker and easier
4. Go drive around and looking at stft histogram display try and fill all cells up to 4000 rpms with an averaged value you should be able to get a value for each cell that wont change (another words we want the cursor to sit in that cell for a period of time until the value settles down and doesnt change) obviously we are looking at averaged values, not max, min or last value

this will require at least 15 minutes

5. take the filled histogram and cut and special paste-multiply by percentage on the ve table
6. smooth the ve table by hand you will notice trends where one side will want to go higher and the other will want to go lower so you will follow the trends with hand smoothing
I like to change the decimals to around 3 to get it nice and smooth.
7. Once short term trims are around +-5 reenable the long terms by resetting the closed loop enable table back to stock, you will be suprised by how good the long terms look go do some driving to update them. Repeat steps if neccesary.
8. Once LT trims are +-5 start turning up the timing

damn Im gonna make a document so I never have to type this again, timing tuning is a different story
this is the quickest and easiest method Ive found for tuning SD I hated waiting on long terms to update with this method avoid pe, spinning tires etc
thanks to gamedawg for pointing some of this out

Last edited by 02sierraz71_5.3; 07-30-2005 at 11:45 PM.
Old 07-31-2005, 12:40 AM
14 Second Truck Club

this is good for a boosted motor?... putting in stock timing tables? where can i get ahold of some?
Old 07-31-2005, 01:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by onyx
this is good for a boosted motor?... putting in stock timing tables? where can i get ahold of some?
go to http://www.horist.com/hptuner/

there is nothing wrong with decreasing timing its a safegueard until the fuel/air is tuned you wont have as much power but thats ok in the end you will have whole lot more, the only difference in tuning an FI motor is when entering boost it changes things as far as tuning that part I would go over to ls1tech

Last edited by 02sierraz71_5.3; 07-31-2005 at 01:27 AM.
Old 07-31-2005, 04:37 AM
14 Second Truck Club

adding timing is the last thing you want to do with the huge amount of kr you have the amount you have is alot especially with that table being averaged
we want to pull timing on both tables and get our fueling right, in order to get fueling right your gonna have to do alot of high rpm driving and "pulsing" to fill in all the cells. If you are using the timing tables you have now while tuning trims you are very likely to damage something from detonation especially when you run into lean conditions its a formula for disaster.

Put the stock timing tables in tune the fuel trims in SD with the ve table, there are several methods of doing this all work.

you can always add timing later some of the things in the stickie I agree with some dont make sense

1. put timing tables to stock
2. set maf fail frquency to 0, puts in SD
3. set closed loop enable to 285 in all cells, this disables long term trims makes things quicker and easier
4. Go drive around and looking at stft histogram display try and fill all cells up to 4000 rpms with an averaged value you should be able to get a value for each cell that wont change (another words we want the cursor to sit in that cell for a period of time until the value settles down and doesnt change) obviously we are looking at averaged values, not max, min or last value

ok... just to confirm.

the timing tables are Edit>Engine>Spark Advance>Main Spark vs. Airflow vs. RPM Open Throttle

and which tables do i mess with to set closed loop enable?
Old 07-31-2005, 12:25 PM
TECH Junkie

1 the only tables you need to change right now are

the high and low octane put em to stock

2 fuel control-open&closed loop-closed loop enable-set to 295

3 engine diagnostics-general- maf sensor freq. fail =0

3. the go log your short term trims with the method above
Old 07-31-2005, 03:56 PM
TECH Junkie

one other thing reset your trims under tools-vcm control-fuel&spark-reset trims
do this after you edit the ve table
Old 08-01-2005, 10:13 AM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

another easy way to tell if the converter locks set the tcc lock voltage offset to 98 its gonna cause it to feel like another shift when it locks I like it that way you will be able to feel it lock up for sure. I would pull your whole timing low and high tables by -5 then get your fueling right then go back and add timing. There is a reason you pull timing when messing with air/fuel. Its gonna take alot of time to get your lt's to fall into place the quickest method Ive found is disabling closed loop and using st's once done reenable lt's takes about 50 miles gamedawg turned me onto this method works well.
hey 02, I just figured onyx being a beginner in the tuning as myself would benefit from seeing the PID of the converter next to the PID of the kr. But your way is pretty obvious as well, just when you go back to watch your scan you still don't really know when the converter was locking.

FWW onyx...two things, I have the stock 2000 5.3 high octane table on LS1edit, not HPT....(I got the hpt for my 6.0 swap.) If you want, give me your email address and I'll screen print you a picture of the table..probably be easier to copy.

also for what is worth... on the hpt scanner software.... click on the third button just under "Scan and Preferences" it is the table display. Right click on something you don't want to see...likedynamic airflow and click delete. (there is a max on how many things you are allowed to watch. Then click on the box under the knock retard. The right click it...and click insert...then click the plus sign for transmission...then click TCC...then DOUBLE click TCC Mode. There you go.Goto file>save config as and name the preference something like converter test. And when ever you scan, just open that config. Make since?

It helped me, especially since I don't like the idea of killing kr sensors. Again, changing your converter settings will help alot as well. Don't get frustrated, tons of **** to learn in that tuning area.

Quick Reply: KR tables... do you think this will work?