Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Lazy front O2 after Header install.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 06:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lazy front O2 after Header install.

I come to the crowd to help me understand my o2 problem. I am sure Mr. Wheatley is tired of trying to tune around a possible fault in my emission control.

After my ebay LT install, my right bank front 02 is very slow. I have it in the front most possible spot. I swapped sensors with the left and the problem persists on the right bank. Is my problem the sensor not heating up fast enough or staying hot? Occasionally my LTFT will peg at +25. I have to take the truck out and run the **** out of it to get the LTFT to come back down.

The truck runs fine after it is warmed up to operating temp. But occassionaly if it sits for about half and hour to an hour, then I get in and drive off...with the engine temp around 170ish...the engine starts to surge a bit. If I dont rev it up a bit, it will bog down and stumble/die. This starts the high LTFTs. Can this be attributed to the o2's not being hot enough when it swaps to open/closed loop.

I have also been getting codes 1154 and 1134 which deal with the o2's. If you think it might be the front 02's...can you suggest a good replacement with part number? I read 02 corvette rears and found them (denso 2344617) on rock auto for $56 a piece

Let me know what you think.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:18 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i had a bad o2 sensor. all i did was rewire the rear o2 sensor to use on the front. your front ones require a certain heat, the rear require less heat. swap them and see if that helps out. just an idea bc a lot of guys was having problems with their o2s. they would swap to a corvette rear sensor
Old 10-19-2010, 12:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Wrap your LTs, they will hold significant more heat and definatly fire off those O2's
Old 10-19-2010, 02:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by iamkeniff
i had a bad o2 sensor. all i did was rewire the rear o2 sensor to use on the front. your front ones require a certain heat, the rear require less heat. swap them and see if that helps out. just an idea bc a lot of guys was having problems with their o2s. they would swap to a corvette rear sensor
Did you rewire your stock rear or did you go with the corvette rear? Do the truck and corvette share the same connector?

My stock rear O2's have the same part number, but the last four digits are different. The connector and wires are identical as well.
Old 10-19-2010, 02:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ezdaar
Wrap your LTs, they will hold significant more heat and definatly fire off those O2's
I might just have to do that. I am leery about doing it because Guam has a very high corrosion rate due to the salt content in the air and rain. Even stainless steel rusts here.
Old 10-19-2010, 02:52 PM

i took the bad sensor and labeled a b c d an did the same to the next sensor. i then rewired it with solder an shrink wrap.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by iamkeniff
i took the bad sensor and labeled a b c d an did the same to the next sensor. i then rewired it with solder an shrink wrap.
Sorry, I meant did you move your stock rears to the front or wire up corvette rears?
Old 10-19-2010, 04:12 PM

i used my stock rear o2 sensors on the front. i rewired my rear o2s into the front o2 sensor plug. i have a catless y pipe
Old 10-19-2010, 05:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

They are ebay LT's, have them coated then wrap them.

If they rott out, just buy a new set.. "ebay LT's"
Not like they are Kooks or ARH that cost 1100$ +

Im not in guam, so the salt doesnt affect me, But for reference, I have had my header on my ATV wrapped up for years. getting dunked in creek water and mud holes almost on a dailybasis. it gets put up wet and muddy every ride and my pipe has not rotted any "yet".

I did however coat it with the DEI hi temp paint after heating the header up with a hot air gun for 2 hours., then wrapped it, then coated the wrap itself with the DEI silicone protectant paint. this is probly the primary reason the header has not rusted any as of yet.
my super crap muffler now melts my rear fenders due to the extreme heat that comes out of it now.

Even if you only wrap up a portion of your headers it will greatly increase the heat trapped inside them.

Last edited by ezdaar; 10-19-2010 at 05:25 PM.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:59 PM

i think swapping to your rear o2 sensor will cost less and take less time to do...but hey whatever you feel like doing.

Quick Reply: Lazy front O2 after Header install.