Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

LC-1 Install Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 05:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LC-1 Install Help

I've been waiting to install my LC-1 and have decided that i want to do it now. I'm tempted to run it permanently so that i can monitor my afr at all times. The only issue w/ this is that my truck sees snow (utah), water (lake/rain), sand (dumont), and mud and dirt and rocks in the desert. This makes me want to put the module itself inside of the cab.
Is this possible?
How?
Where do i run the cable?
I know i saw pics of someone else's permanent install, but searched for hours and couldnt find them.
Anyone mind posting some pics up?
Also, could someone tell me which wire goes where for an EFILive setup / gauges?
I've read all about what goes where and what not, but I really don't want to join the fried LC-1 club.
And last, can an LC-1 only be programmed w/ a pc when installed in a vehicle?
Old 09-20-2006, 05:50 PM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live in FL. Rain-always. I also live on a clay road. My LC-1 has been mounted under there for a few weeks with no issues. I have it tucked up in the tunnel where the tranny goes. There is a water tight gasket on the connection. To run it in the cab you would have to fab up a harness to extend the wiring depending on where your O2 bung is.
To hook up to EFI Live you need the orange 3 pin connection and the black loggnig box. Connect the two analog outputs, the analog and system ground to the 3 pronged orange external input to the flashscan... the two analog signals go on the outside posts, the two grounds go to the center. There is actually an LC-1 Install Tutorial in the program files/efi live/v7/doc/tutorials folder on your hard drive.

Once you have those externals hooked up, you want to monitor GM.AFR, EXT.AD1,EXT.AD2, CALC.AFR_LC11, CALC.AFR_LC12, CALC.BEN_LC11, CALC.BEN_LC12.

The two BEN PIDs will tell you how far from commanded to actual you are.

Programming with the laptop in the truck would be the easiest since the LC-1 will have power but, I think you can do it with a desktop before install.
Once you get it in be sure to follow the free air cal directions to the T or else you will get screwy readings. You hit the button 3 times to put it in "CAL" mode and then once more to actually calibrate it.
Do you have a XD-16 gauge or are you just going to monitor through a laptop? If you are wanting to put it in place of your current O2 I suggest a rear one. Trying to put it up front and simulate a narrowband as well as perform as a wideband is a PITA!
Old 09-20-2006, 05:51 PM

Learn more here:
http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/forums/index.php
Old 09-20-2006, 06:01 PM

If you see stuff like this then it needs a :

http://media.putfile.com/100-1406 (Crazy gauge reading, needs free air cal)

http://media.putfile.com/Innovet-WB-Failure (LC-1 not sending signal. Terminator plug in wrong place or bad ground connection)

http://media.putfile.com/100-1408 (Needs free air cal. Looks good at idle but reads stupid rich at WOT)
Old 09-20-2006, 06:04 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I posted pics of my install awhile back. I'll see if I can dig some up.

I have been running with my controller mounted underneath the truck for about 8-9 months now with no problems. I ran all my wires through the parking brake cable grommet (poked a hole to run them through).

The LC-1 has two analog outputs that can be configured, as well as one digital output, to be used with Innovate's own software. I have one output configured to work with EFILive and the other goes to a permanent gauge that I mounted in my instrument cluster.

Oh, and I would only run the WB O2 in the rear position if you have gutted your cats. Taking an AFR reading post-cat will throw things off.
Old 09-20-2006, 06:06 PM

The LC-1 and I have a love hate relationship. I love it when it works and I hate to install it.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:21 PM
TECH Addict

I just installed mine last weekend. It was pretty simple, i ran the wires up through the trany hump and punched a hole under the cup holder in the center console. I stuck a grommet in there and pulled the wires through. I wired up my blue and red wires to a cigarrette plug so i can just plug it in when i want to use it. I keep all the wires and the plug as well as my EFILive cables in my console under the cup holder area. That way when i want to use the wideband, EFILive, or both....i just pull up my cupholder and all the wires are right there. When im done....i just stick'em back in and pop the cupholder bezel back in. Using the cigarrette plug for the wideband is better for me cause i didnt want to wire up a switch or anything. When im done logging i just get the creeper out and pop the wideband O2 out and put the plug in the bung. I leave the wideband connector underneath zip tied next to the A-Arm. When i unplug the 02 sensor i put a small piece of plastic (piece of a ziplock bag) over the connector with a rubber band to keep the moisture out.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:26 PM
TECH Addict

Also, i went through the setup with only two problems. First was i had installed the green and white wires (both grounds) into the center part of the orange plug of the EFILive box, but i did not ACTUALLY ground them to anything....LOL. I got an error and went back over my install and realized what i did. So i ended up just having to come out to the amplifier mounting screw in the console to get my ground. The other problem was when i programmed the LC-1 with the LM programmer software, i hooked up to the #2 port instead of #1 on the EFILive box by mistake, just had to swap them. Been working great since.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:48 PM
formerly silverbrick (changed 02/17/2013)

what makes soem people chose the LC1 over the LM1 trhat comes with everything to have a standalone monitoring system? (im lookin to get a wideband but not to do my own tuning yet) sorry to hijack

never mind, just looked at dynotune.com and the LC1 is the standalone that comes with the gauge. is it difficult to install or something? seems like you just plug in the sensor and put the gauge where you want it? are yall just having issues with it when trying to connect it to your auxillary for tuning?
Old 09-21-2006, 12:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks for all the help! So do i need to ground the system and analog grounds to the chassis as well as plug them into the EFILive blackbox logging box? I deleted my cats so im gonna put it in one of my rear o2 bungs. What should i do w/ the old o2 sensor? I cant see any way to disconnect it w/o cutting wires. Whippled496, is the actual box to the wideband inside your console, or is that hanging underneath? And when you say u punched a hole, you actually drilled through the floorboard? Where is the closest grommet? Is it possible to have the lc-1 box inside of the cab w/o extending the o2 wires? Do you all suggest permanent install or temp? Those w/o an xd1, do you use the normally open switch and led included in the package for your open air cal? I tried plugging the serial cable into my pc and could not get a reading. Does the lc-1 need any sort of power to be programmed? When installed, are the plugs(forgot what they're called) plugged or open? (ie, do i put a terminator plug in them?)

Quick Reply: LC-1 Install Help