Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Lean Cruise

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 09:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lean Cruise

I'm in the market for tuning software to tune my soon-to-be turbo '01 Silverado with a T56. I'm split between EFILive and HPTuners.

Because I am also concerned about fuel economy out of boost I like idea of the lean cruise feature. I commute to work on the highway almost everyday. From what I can tell, EFILive has the capability for lean tune while HPTuners does not. This caused my initial draw to EFILive. But HPtuners seems to have better support online and more users, and is cheaper. If I can squeeze out a couple mpg's then the additional cost is worth it IMO.

Can HPTuners do a lean cruise-like feature by leaning out the fuel table in the cruise region? Are there other any major differences between the two in terms of features?

I've also been through some stock GMT800 and F-body tunes in the EFILive demo and love it. I understand most of the settings. But the timing and VE tables are a little overwhelming. Haven't tried HPTuners yet.

Any suggestions are welcome.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:16 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 391 Likes on 261 Posts

I like and use hptuners. The softwares are equally capable IMO, it just comes down to taste.

In hpt you can run open loop and set the commanded afr to whatever you want, but being open loop you dont have o2 feedback to control fueling, but if your maf and ve tables are spot on you shouldnt need it.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks for the input. How does lean cruise work if the truck is in closed loop?
Old 10-24-2012, 10:20 PM
I have a gauge for that

It doesnt. The o2 sensors will always want to pull it back to stoich, and o2s are not accurate anywhere else anyway. There is a setting for the o2 sensor switching voltage but it does not appear to have any effect.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

So how does the lean cruise work then?
Old 10-24-2012, 11:10 PM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"lean cruise" is a part of the operating system that is disabled in the USA. You can edit the OS with a hex editor to re-enable it, and before the US threatened to nuke New Zealand, the EFI guys would tell you what line number to change to a no-op.

However, with the custom OSs you can just set your AFR table to run lean in the cruise cells (e.g. map x rpm areas where you normally cruise at)
Old 10-25-2012, 12:16 AM
Mod with training wheels

Received 204 Likes on 139 Posts

You mean since New Zealand banned Mike Tyson?? That's what they get!
Old 10-25-2012, 11:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TurboBerserker
"lean cruise" is a part of the operating system that is disabled in the USA. You can edit the OS with a hex editor to re-enable it, and before the US threatened to nuke New Zealand, the EFI guys would tell you what line number to change to a no-op.

However, with the custom OSs you can just set your AFR table to run lean in the cruise cells (e.g. map x rpm areas where you normally cruise at)
So with HPTuners and a custom OS, I can basically achieve the same thing as lean cruise by turning up the target AFR in the cruise region?

My other question would be, how is "lean cruise" in EFILive different than just adjusting the AFR table? Sounds like it may be more of a on/off switch if parameters are met rather than a table that's interpolated.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

I just run Open Loop Speed Density and command whatever AFR i want at what RPM vs MAP.. poor mans lean cruise.
Dail in the fuel table and ride.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:07 AM
I have a gauge for that

You dont need even need a custom OS to do it in hptuners. Simply set the closed loop enable temp to something like 280 and change the commanded equivalence ratio in the open loop fueling table.

Quick Reply: Lean Cruise