Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Lets talk about transient tuning

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 11:43 AM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Lets talk about transient tuning

Well i had a rather tough time at the track yesterday. It was my first time out with the Tbss intake and new injectors. My entire first gear was about a full point off. Right at launch it was about 14.5-15.0 and i was commanding 12.9ish. My commanded afr gradually slopes down to 12.5ish. My actual afr would gradually go from 14.5 to commandex toward the top of first gear. Once insecond gear the afr was damn close. I am think i really need to up the impact and evaporative tables.

Anyone have a similar issue they resolved?
Old 09-27-2010, 12:42 PM
Resident Retard

I found this info on EFI Live forum....

it appears i have some tuning todo ...
Originally Posted by swingtan
Further to that....
  • B3406: Impact Factor
    Is a fuel correction "adder", so it increases the amount of fuel injected. It is calibrated via ECT and MAP to allow for different corrections based on temp and load. This table tends to have greater influence on smaller throttle movements rather than slamming the throttle open.
  • B3401: Evaporation Time
    Tells the PCM how long it takes for the fuel left on the wall to make it into the intake charge. Again, this is a "correction" factor, not an actual figure for the evaporation time. Higher numbers here will extend the time that B3406 is used for as it indicates a longer evaporation time correction is needed. again, it tends to have more influence on smaller throttle movements.
  • B3426: Stomp Compensation
    This tells the PCM to inject additional fuel when jumping on the throttle. Think of it as a pump jet in a carby based engine. As would be expected, bigger numbers = more fuel.
  • B3428: Stomp reduction
    This tells the PCM the rate at which the "stomp compensation" is ramped out. Higher numbers result in a raster ramp out.

So for a lean tip in, I would look at....
  1. Increasing B3426 to give a slightly rich spike at tip in spike
  2. Adjust B3428 to blend the rich spike into the normal commanded fuel. Fir the spike goes, rich-lean-commanded, increase the factor to stretch out the rich spike. If it stays rich too long, reduce the factor to lean it out quicker.

For the rich spike at throttle close....

I wouldn't worry as much, but it can cause issues if you are running CL and the STFT's pull lots of fuel just prior to the throttle being snapped open. You could try reducing the values in B3406 and B3401 for the cells effected. This would normally be in the very low MAP cells, but may need some correction higher up to "catch" the rich spike earlier on.

If you really want to try it out, you can also mess with the Injector timing to mess with dynamics. The basic rule here is...
  • the earlier the injector fires, the more time the fuel has to evaporate

So an early injector event results in more of the fuel being used for the intended induction event. ( IE. less fuel left on the wall )

I've done some testing with firing the injector just after the inlet valve closes. Doing this you can pretty much zero out the impact tables, but you may also miss time the throttle stop fueling as the injector has fired before the PCM signals it needs stomp fuel.

I've also fired the injector as the inlet valve opens, it makes the stomp fueling pretty good, but needs lots of work on the impact tables to get things working.

Also remember that at full song, the injectors will be open for longer than the inlet valve is open......

Simon.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

My truck used to be like that but once I went sd and turned off the O2s and maf its always with .1 of what I command. Although I know this isn't the way you want to go about fixing your issue, that was my quick and easy fix.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:47 PM
Resident Retard

Ya, i would just like to understand how it all works. Apparently i was adjusting the wrong damn tables at the track... I was messing with the impact and evaporative tables... Apparently i should have been messing with the stomp tables... Hopefully i can get in another test n tune day before our Crandall meet....
Old 09-27-2010, 04:20 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Corey, alot of your problems can be resolved by adjustment of the Impact Factor and Impact Factor Gain vs Airflow (a table in hptuners). Busy as hell today but if you would like I could go into a more detailed explanation and theory about Transients if you would like later this evening when I get a minute.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:35 PM
Resident Retard

Man i tried adding to the impact factor, i think in 5% increments, it really did not help that much.. From the above explanation, the impact factor is more for part throttle stuff, i am not sure if that is correct or not.... I have never touched the Stomp ones, but i plan on trying those soon. Ya, i believe there is a .cax file for EFI Live to get some addition transient tables, but have not researched it that much until today.