Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

lots of problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 02:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lots of problems

Hi guys I have a 2001 silverado with the 5.3 and lately it started idling really rough and before it shifts it starts to cut out like it has a bad miss
this morning i used my code reader and got these codes
p0128 coolant low temp I just put a new thermostat in it maybe it was faulty
p0131 think my 02 had wire showing i will tape it up and see
p0171 too lean im not sure on this one
p0300 multiple cylinder misfire im guessing this is a reaction of the other codes
p1133 maybe gutted cats?
where do I start?
I gutted my cats and need to somehow disable my downstream o2's is there any way to do that without a programmer? ive heard a deep spark plug defouler 18mm would work I have a shallow one i may drill out just needing some suggestions
btw i didnt gut the cats for "performance" they were rattling and clogged
Old 05-31-2013, 06:24 PM
TECH Resident

From what I gather you have a shot 02 sensor or 2, un-plug them and see how it runs
Old 06-01-2013, 02:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bbowerman
p0128 coolant low temp I just put a new thermostat in it maybe it was faulty
what temp thermostat? the ecu is programmed to set a code if the temp doesn't come up a certain amount within a specific time. sometimes a 160* wont warm the engine up fast enough. you might also have an air pocket in the cooling system. i would check that, and then just shut this code off.
p0131 think my 02 had wire showing i will tape it up and see
if there are ANY exposed wires in your O2 sensor, replace the sensor. they only operate between 0-1 volt, so any voltage loss will make a large difference.
p0171 too lean im not sure on this one
this is more than likely because of the O2 sensor not reading properly.
p0300 multiple cylinder misfire im guessing this is a reaction of the other codes
you're probably right here. do you have a cam in the truck? this can sometimes throw a phantom misfire.
p1133 maybe gutted cats?
no, this is again because that O2 sensor isn't functioning properly.

where do I start?
first replace your upstream O2 on bank 1. personally i would do both upstream sensors just for the piece of mind. second double check your cooling system to make sure there is not an air pocket that would keep the truck from warming up. third get a tune. i use hp tuners, but a lot of people use efi live as well. if you prefer to get a handheld, i would go with a diablosport, it tends to do a little more than others.

I gutted my cats and need to somehow disable my downstream o2's is there any way to do that without a programmer? ive heard a deep spark plug defouler 18mm would work I have a shallow one i may drill out just needing some suggestions
the anti foulers work sometimes. its kind of hit or miss. if you really dont want to get a programmer, its a cheap easy thing to try. you might just have to live with the P0128 if you do that. (no programmer)
answers in blue. i would really recommend getting a tune. it makes a world of difference.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:46 AM
On The Tree

It is tuned with a bullydog (.its not that great)

I found out that o2 sensor 1 bank 1 is bad

Only code I get now is
P0300 and the truck sputters when I'm lightly accelerating