Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

MAF tuning for card style MAF

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 10:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default MAF tuning for card style MAF

Here's my situation: I made an intake pipe with 4" aluminum, using the new LS3 card style MAF. I used to have a breather oil cap, but now I'm back to using the stock setup with a hose from the intake tube to pass. valve cover. I also added an airflow straightener (5:1) in front of the MAF. Airaid synthamax cone filter.

I'm getting codes p0171 and 0174 set, which are lean bank 1 and 2. Worse though, once the engine gets up to temp, and on deceleration or coasting, I get chiming and "Service Stabilitrak", "Stabilitrak Off" or "Traction control off" on the DIC, which will clear itself if I come to a complete stop, or accelerate slowly and let off the throttle. If I accelerate through a 1-2 gear change while these DIC messages are showing, I'll get a harsh shift.

I've encountered these codes and DIC messages before, when I was using a different MAF, the plastic intake tube from Magnacharger and a K&N cone filter. Back then I followed all the troubleshooting possibilities including looking for vacuum leaks, but when I scanned with EFI live, at idle my STFTs were around +20, and what I noticed was they instantly set back to near zero as soon as I took off the K&N filter. So I went back to the stock airbox with flat filter and never had another issue.

So now that I've changed up my intake, I'd like to keep the Airaid filter, so my next step is to try to tune for this MAF/intake combo. I got a lot of tips from this thread: Card style MAF, 4.0 CAI and HOW TO TUNE FOR IT...

But is tuning for the MAF as simple as datalogging MAFFREQ and GM.DYNAIR, creating a map and pasting that data into the MAF table of the tune, and blending the curve?

And do I have to do anything else before datalogging to get the truck into SD? Or just pick those two PIDs and go for a drive?