Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Mail Order Pcm

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 12:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mail Order Pcm

for those of you who have a mail order tune...wheatley's or nelson's....what all is involved in swapping the pcm out for the retuned one?

i think i read that the pcm is under the battery, but i dont recall.

and round about how long does the swap out and "re-learn" process take??

the curiosity is killing me.

thanks
Old 02-12-2008, 12:50 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Takes 5 minutes and nerves of steel the first time...only because it is new to you. Get it in and drive. I have always heard you should drive hard for ~100 miles but i see no reason why it would really make any difference?
Old 02-12-2008, 01:48 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by trever1t
Takes 5 minutes and nerves of steel the first time...only because it is new to you. Get it in and drive. I have always heard you should drive hard for ~100 miles but i see no reason why it would really make any difference?
could take a tad longer for the relearn, but wtf are you talking about the drive hard thing? LMAO
Old 02-12-2008, 02:14 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Originally Posted by dewmanshu
could take a tad longer for the relearn, but wtf are you talking about the drive hard thing? LMAO
Yeah, not sure. When I was mail order tuned I was told to run it hard for a couple hundred miles....I think the concensus was that the tune would "settle-in" but that never did make any sense to me.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:07 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

drive it normal so the fuel trims will settle in. Get on it all you want, but driving normal would probably net the best results. Like that scan you showed me today. If he hammered it right out of the box his PE would of been really rich and he could lose power from poor LTFT's (high +trims in non-pe)

Closed loop is a great thing for the tuning community.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by trever1t
Yeah, not sure. When I was mail order tuned I was told to run it hard for a couple hundred miles....I think the concensus was that the tune would "settle-in" but that never did make any sense to me.
how close would you say a mail order tune from one of these guys would be?
i mean, as far as having the fuel trims and timing optimized for my application?

i have a predator now, and its getting over its head quickly. i know there is probably a lot to be gained over the predator.....and i am about ready to see! i wonder how much of a gain could be expected from jumping off the predator wagon and on to the wheatley wagon?
Old 02-12-2008, 04:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

omg dude...a wheatley tune from a predator is like going to a tune from not having one to begin with, especially the mods you have now.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

OMG dude

i was hoping it would be, but i dont see anything in your sig? you running a wheatley tune? OMG?

Old 02-12-2008, 07:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

go with a blackbear tune. blackbearperformance dot com
Old 02-12-2008, 07:53 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

212/218 low lift cam, manley pushrods, ls6 springs, RedStarPerf 3000 stall, dynotune dry kit, gears/posi coming.
Yeah, I don't know much about the predator to be honest but mail order tunes can get you pretty close. A live tune is even closer. Purchasing tunng software is another option such as EFI Live or HPTuners.
I have somebody local Dyno tune for me, and then I log with the software and email tunes with my tuner or tweak my self.

Quick Reply: Mail Order Pcm