Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Is a mail order tune worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 05:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is a mail order tune worth it?

If i can not find a good Dyno Tune here in the midwest, Is a mail order tune worth it? I have been reading about other people here complaining about theirs. Any comments or suggestions would be great.
Old 02-14-2006, 05:38 PM
TECH Addict

Where abouts in the Midwest are you located?
Old 02-14-2006, 05:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

well i am mostly in the Omaha area but i fluctuate anywhere from here to Waterloo in northeast iowa.
Old 02-14-2006, 05:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default It depends

Im getting a mail order bc i have a lot of miles on this engine. When it goes bad ill be getting a 6.0. Then ill get a dyno. It really all depends on what your purpose is and like you said, where youre located. A dyno tune is def better. I just ordered a nelson tune, i hear from a lot of ppl hes the best for mail order. Good luck with your decision.

Derek
Old 02-14-2006, 05:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Nikon02
If i can not find a good Dyno Tune here in the midwest, Is a mail order tune worth it? I have been reading about other people here complaining about theirs. Any comments or suggestions would be great.
You would be wasting your money on those hand helds!
Nelson tune all the way!!! You wont regret it or have problems!

Jim
Old 02-14-2006, 05:51 PM
Launching!

Yeah I second that, I had a superchips tuner before and it was alright. After I got my custom tune from Nelson Performance, it put it to shame, you cant even compare the two!
Old 02-14-2006, 07:01 PM
11 Second Truck Club

NELSON PERFORMANCE
mail order tune here...
Old 02-14-2006, 07:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nelson or wait4me has my vote... both good tuners. I would have to say the mail order isnt worth it if you have access to a dyno.. but since you dont, nelson or wait4me...

however.. i have heard many ppl saying that their shifting is weird with jesse's tunes. Happened to me and got a retune and never happened again. but i have heard about 5-6 cases about that w/ his tunes.
Old 02-15-2006, 12:13 AM
TECH Resident

what about westin tune? why dont i ever hear bout them on here
Old 02-15-2006, 01:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think a mail order tune is worth it. I know mostly everyone here goes with Wait4Me or Nelson, but I went with PcmForLess. It's kind of a give and take thing when it comes to this stuff.

I was going to go with Wait4Me myself until I sent an email to Jesse about some tuning, I got a reply a full 2 days later from his wife. I know he is a busy guy but come on, 2 days just for an email?

I never was really interested in a Nelson tune, I didn't feel the price matched my basic bolt-ons. I have talked to Allen about some future Ford tuning for some buddies of mine though and he was quick to answer all of my questions. He seems like a great guy and a lot of people praise his tuning.

I sent many emails to Brian Herter at PcmForLess and he always answered all of my questions within an hour of when I sent them. He didn't seem to mind answering any of my newbie questions and this is what sold me. Their price is right between the other and their tuning is ranked with the best as well. I love my tune from Brian and I will contiue to go with his tuning until the day I need a Dyno tune.

I'm not saying anyone of these guys is better than the other, these are just my personal experiences with each of them. Good luck man!

Quick Reply: Is a mail order tune worth it?