Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Mail order tunes

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 01:53 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Mail order tunes

Why is it that everytime someone ask what tune to get, everyone replies that their tuner is THE best, but I havent seen a single person ever be able to back it up. It gets agrivating that every newbie just about ask this question, and they always turn into a pissing match. Usually between Nelson users and Wait4Me users. No one even acknowledges other tunes except for the occasional Westers. IMO if you can't prove that XXXXXX makes more power, ideles better, drives better, shifts better than XXXXXXX at least make it known that it is just your opinion. Personally I originally wanted a Nelson tune, went with a wait4me, was completely satisfied till I got a decent sized cam, then gave up on the mail order tuning all together. You can say what you want, but Ive been doing some work on a Nelson mail order tuned truck I just swapped a moderate cam into, and he's having the exact same problems I was having with the w4m. I decided to get HPtuners, and he did also.

PT.net, and LS1 truck are all Nelson all the way. GMFS is jessie. SSS is westers. And there are a few others im really not sure about.

Go ahead and post your experiences but until I can see proof of Nelson vs. Jessie vs. Westers vs. Texas speed vs. Thunder vs. FMS vs. whomever else I may have left out, why not all act like adults?

Sorry for the rant but to me it gets agrivating when a newbie (who we should all be trying to help) ask what tune to get, and it turns into a pissing match.
Old 04-21-2006, 02:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by white1
Why is it that everytime someone ask what tune to get, everyone replies that their tuner is THE best, but I havent seen a single person ever be able to back it up. It gets agrivating that every newbie just about ask this question, and they always turn into a pissing match. Usually between Nelson users and Wait4Me users. No one even acknowledges other tunes except for the occasional Westers. IMO if you can't prove that XXXXXX makes more power, ideles better, drives better, shifts better than XXXXXXX at least make it known that it is just your opinion. Personally I originally wanted a Nelson tune, went with a wait4me, was completely satisfied till I got a decent sized cam, then gave up on the mail order tuning all together. You can say what you want, but Ive been doing some work on a Nelson mail order tuned truck I just swapped a moderate cam into, and he's having the exact same problems I was having with the w4m. I decided to get HPtuners, and he did also.

PT.net, and LS1 truck are all Nelson all the way. GMFS is jessie. SSS is westers. And there are a few others im really not sure about.

Go ahead and post your experiences but until I can see proof of Nelson vs. Jessie vs. Westers vs. Texas speed vs. Thunder vs. FMS vs. whomever else I may have left out, why not all act like adults?

Sorry for the rant but to me it gets agrivating when a newbie (who we should all be trying to help) ask what tune to get, and it turns into a pissing match.
I couldn't agree more, great post ever.
Old 04-21-2006, 02:46 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

YEAH, pissing matches dont help the guy who is looking for advice.Buti hope that when people reply as i do they tell the truth! iT's hard for some one to tell you the tune they bought sucked and they are not happy but if they would be honest we would all benefit. I honestly like my tune, always safe, always gets better as i relay values , and i enjoy the great service. Im going to get on a dyno this summer and see what i can or need to do to perfect it if needed.I just dont have that option in my area.
Old 04-21-2006, 03:15 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by white1

MOOCHO GRASSY *** !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-21-2006, 03:16 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

....SilveradoSS.com seems to be mostly dominated by PCMforLess...I'm more than happy with mine, but my numbers to back it up also include a cam and injector swap.

Stock w/ bolt on's on 33's: 16.5@81.7mph

Comp 206/212 .515/.520 114, 02 Injectors, PCMforLess tuned 02 PCM, on 33's: 15.6@89.5mph
Old 04-21-2006, 09:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by budhayes3
....SilveradoSS.com seems to be mostly dominated by PCMforLess...I'm more than happy with mine, but my numbers to back it up also include a cam and injector swap.

Comp 206/212 .515/.520 114, 02 Injectors, PCMforLess tuned 02 PCM, on 33's: 15.6@89.5mph
Great numbers, I'm happy with my PCMForLess tune as well.
Old 04-21-2006, 10:19 PM
TECH Resident

I also did the PCM4Less, and the other guy was right. A lot of us Silverado SS guys go with Brian. I think with any tune it's GIGO garbage in garbage out. The experienced guys have tuned a lot of vehicles in person and they need every bit of info you can give them. The best bet is a dyno tune, but for me that's almost impossible (AWD). One of the big PCM4Less selling points is $50 updates. Also I can't justify spending twice the money on a tune. I have a mail order tune for my radix with a 2.9 pulley and at a 5750lb race weight I ran a 13.87 with high IATS. Whatever you do don't say anything slightly negative about Nelson on here or LS! truck (not that I have anything bad to say) or you'll be ripped to shreds. The best bet is probably to break down and buy a tuning program and do it yourself. Later

Dave
Old 04-21-2006, 10:20 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Its all helpful when so and so says I love my XXXXXX tune. It lets the person asking make an educated dicision. I just get tired of (and it happens in every one of the mail order tunning threads) such and such has these problems I hear so and so is the best. BULLSHIT. all of them have problems. All of them have had bad PCMs, and most importantly they all make more power than any hand held. And even more important (and I do realise a lot of people dont have this option) no matter how mutch better it feels, it will never be right through the mail. (with the exception of doing some logging and sending that to the tuner) to get the most out of a tune, the tuner needs YOUR truck there to test the tune on. The exact tune I have for my truck works awesome in a 5.3 with a bigger cam, and actually has a few less issues than I have. So none of these trucks respond exactly the same to the same changes.
Old 04-21-2006, 10:21 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by budhayes3

Ooops. Got them confused with Westers. What site is it where Westers is king?? Thanks for catching that for me
Old 04-22-2006, 09:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Westers mostly on ChevyTruckWorld. LS1truck is Nelson, which is his site so it damn well should be! I had a Nelson mail order also, loved every bit of it, only reason I do not run it now is because I had an itch to learn on my own with wideband tuning.

Chris

Quick Reply: Mail order tunes