Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Mail order tunes

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 10:34 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My mentality is and has always been that if your going to spend in excess of $500 on a mail order tune, you might as well go ahead and buy a tuning program and learn to do it yourself. Also, if your going to try and throw that "but you have to have a laptop as well" problem into the mix, I say if the extra $150 that it runs to buy a cheap laptop off EBay to run it is going to break you, then you probably need to find a differenty hobby anyway...
Old 04-24-2006, 10:02 AM
On The Tree

Default Wait 4 Me

I ordered my w4m tune damn near three and a half weeks ago and it still hasn't come in. Just giving an honest opinion here if that tune isn't pretty kick *** im gonna be as mad hell. BTW I just got off the phone with them and they told me that it shipped out today. ARGH

Last edited by Mad_04_chev2004; 04-24-2006 at 10:17 AM.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by white1
Its all helpful when so and so says I love my XXXXXX tune. It lets the person asking make an educated dicision. I just get tired of (and it happens in every one of the mail order tunning threads) such and such has these problems I hear so and so is the best. BULLSHIT. all of them have problems. All of them have had bad PCMs, and most importantly they all make more power than any hand held. And even more important (and I do realise a lot of people dont have this option) no matter how mutch better it feels, it will never be right through the mail. (with the exception of doing some logging and sending that to the tuner) to get the most out of a tune, the tuner needs YOUR truck there to test the tune on. The exact tune I have for my truck works awesome in a 5.3 with a bigger cam, and actually has a few less issues than I have. So none of these trucks respond exactly the same to the same changes.
Correct!!! White1 swapped my cam (springs and rods), and I got a mail order tune to go with the swap and my truck did not idle (past idle, truck ran great and hauls a$$). I am on my second tune due to the cam swap. Truck now idles (a little rough) and still hauls a$$. The best thing someone can do if they do more than bolt on mods is get the software and learn how to tune or do a log and email the log to the tuner. This way, the tuner can see all the things going on in your motor.

As far as which tuner is best, they all have standard tuning changes which makes your truck "have" more hp and tq. When it comes to fine tuning, they need to see what your truck is doing as each truck acts a little different to mods.

Bottom line, if you just want better performance, go with any of the name brand tuners. If you want a fine tune vehicle because you have FI, cam or other internal mods, it is best to get the software and email a log or (if you have alot of time) drive your truck to their shop and get it dynoed.

Good post white1.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:58 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks, BTW let me know when your tuning package comes in. Ive made a few changes to mine, and would like to compare some files. Also, I may be able to get you a little better driveability till you can get your tuner to get you fixed up.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:04 PM
On The Tree

Thanks, BTW let me know when your tuning package comes in. Ive made a few changes to mine, and would like to compare some files. Also, I may be able to get you a little better driveability till you can get your tuner to get you fixed up.
Contacted HP Tuners via email and they are scheduled to ship the software May 1st. Probably won't be in till May 4th or 5th Anyway what can you do but wait.

I will tell you, since the cam install, the truck is a friggen blast to drive. Can't wait till the 4.10 gears and torque converter is installed. Land of the rising sun can eat my a$$.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:15 PM
12 Second Truck Club

You went for a ride in mine didnt you?? If not, take it for a spin next time youre arround.

Next tep 6L swap???? And a bigger cam??
Old 04-24-2006, 11:46 PM
On The Tree

You went for a ride in mine didnt you?? If not, take it for a spin next time youre arround.

Next tep 6L swap???? And a bigger cam??
Yes I did go for a ride. Felt friggen awsome. Want to ride with all wheels spinning. Nick seemed a little nervous about 4 wheels spinning. F'er stalled to about 4500 and launched like a rocket.
Old 04-25-2006, 12:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

We all really ajust the same things. Some have there little ticks or ways of doings thin gs. Your always going to be better off with a live tune than a mail order tune. More so if its camed or heavily modified vehicle. If I had to vote I would say Nelson performance as he is very good tunner. If your going for a mail order type with a cam brian at pcmforless know his stuff as well and will get you very close from the get go.
Old 04-25-2006, 12:46 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Not trying to be a dick, but do you KNOW Nelson is better than any other? If so, could you please share how you discovered this. Its almost like people saying the TR 224 is too big for a 4.8, but the guys with the TR224 in 4.8's seem to like them.
That was pretty mutch the whole point of this thread is that everyone is going to say that the tuner they use is eigther the best there is, or that they suck. And Ive heard both for pretty mutch every tuner. If someone has hard evidence, hell even something like had XXXX tune went with XXXXX instead, and felt a big difference. I (personally) get tired of hearing XXXXXx is the best, when the person saying it hasnt tried anyone else. If you dont try another, how do you know one is better than the others???

Just for example, I KNOW Bud Light is the best beer to drink if youre drinking a lot. Ive tried the others, so I can make this statement , but I cant say one Scotch is the best, cause Ive only tried a few.

Not trying to offend anyone, I just feel like people should state their experiences with out bashing other tuners, or comparing their tuner to others without actually comparing them. I guarantee I can find where people like XXXX over XXXXX, and feel like they will get better gains from one of them, but wont give the other a chance, and actually try to steer people away from them.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Here's a screenshot from a mail order tuner. I'm not gonna say which one it is, but I will say it's from a budget tuner. I was amazed at the amount of KR in this, and it wasn't flase. You could literally HEAR the engine knocking and pinging at idle. Nothing wrong mechanically with the engine either. This is all a direct result of a mail order tune from one of the budget tuners.

Quick Reply: Mail order tunes