Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

mail in vs live tune?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 09:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default mail in vs live tune?

whats goin on everyone had a few quick questions about a live tune...since weve got one of the best ls tuners fairly close to where im living my truck will be getting an appointment within the next week or so and im curious what to expect? if anyone has had a mail order vs a live dyno/street tune is it a pretty noticable difference? the truck is fbo, has a decent sized cam, big converter etc

as for my current tune i had a mail in thats never been right since my cam swap. ive still got massive idling issues, the trucks timing table looks like waves of the ocean, i assume afr's are off as well but i cant remember what the logs are since a lazy *** buddy of mine still hasnt sent them my way. also when my truck is retuned will plugging into the computer reset my shift points? id like to keep my daily mode, and the race mode(tow/haul) the way it is, mabey have shift points raised and need the pwm softened up a bit under lockup

if anyone could chime in itd be appreciated

thanks

tj
Old 06-17-2013, 11:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

also how high can i turn the 4.8 safely? ive got a 228r on a 112lsa, was thinking of bringing the shift points up to 6800-7k
Old 06-17-2013, 11:48 PM
TECH Resident

A mail order tune can be as good as a live tune IF data logging can be utilized. That's the advantage of a live tune IMO. The tuner can utilized feedback(data logging) to adjust the tune accordingly. I would expect better driveability and performance for an in person tune. Dramatic improvement? Just depends on how far off your mail order was.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

data logging was not in the picture at the time of going through my old tuner, it was strictly a mail order tune which was why i was curious if thered be a pretty good increase in power. as for how bad this tune is my buddy who data logged it said that its the worst tune hes ever seen. but after what you just said i guess well see how much of an improvment it is, wether its night and day or not im sure theyrll be a big difference in mileage. ive never been in anything ls powered that gets such poor mileage, hell my buddys 11sec truck gets almost 3 times the mileage that im getting
Old 06-18-2013, 07:41 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The quality of the live tune will totally depend on the quality of the tuner - if the live tune is a "throw it on the dyno for a couple pulls" tune, then it will suck just as bad as your mail order... It all comes down to the knowledge level of the tuner and how thorough they take the time to be. There is no excuse for a live tune not being spot on...
Old 06-19-2013, 09:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

in the dyno tune he does the max horsepower on dyno and then does a street tune on it as well to dial in the driveability, hes tuned a few cars from tx2k12/13 and has my buddys tbss hundreths away from setting a record even with full weight so hes pretty reputable. im just hoping i get a decent amount of power out of this thing and hopefully some way better driveability
Old 06-19-2013, 10:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not get your some tuning stuff and get to learning? that way you can adjust it how you want it. No way i could just let somebody tune mine.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ive got the mechanical smarts but for sure not computers lol, i wish i had the brains for that but im afraid ill pop the motor
Old 06-19-2013, 11:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Its really not hard at all.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

IMO, a mail order tune without logging will get you 80% there. A mail order tune with logging will get you 90% there. A dyno tune will get you 95% there. And tuning it yourself will get you 99% there.

I don't think anyone is ever 100% satisfied with their tune once they have the tuning software

Quick Reply: mail in vs live tune?