Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Main VE table question

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 09:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Main VE table question

I am new to the tuning of vehicles with EFI Live. I am trying to tune my truck before I have to put it up before the snow flies. I have my wideand working, and need a little help. I want to tune the Main VE table, but can not think that it is safe to run a FI engine at 14.63 AFR under boost just to set the table. Can I run meth while I am setting the table, or will it afftect the outcome? What AFR should I tune for? I just don't want to blow it up.
Old 11-24-2010, 09:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I suggest reading up on Ve tuning via the stickies and links in the forum of your choice. Focus on "Ve tuning using a wideband" topics. Since you have a wideband hooked up, you will be Ve tuning based on "% AFR error" therefore no you will not be running your FI set-up at 14.681 under boost (Pe). There is really no need to use your narrow bands for this when you have a WB (although I like to check the NB AFTER I tune with the WB).
Old 11-25-2010, 06:07 PM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by krambo
I suggest reading up on Ve tuning via the stickies and links in the forum of your choice. Focus on "Ve tuning using a wideband" topics. Since you have a wideband hooked up, you will be Ve tuning based on "% AFR error" therefore no you will not be running your FI set-up at 14.681 under boost (Pe). There is really no need to use your narrow bands for this when you have a WB (although I like to check the NB AFTER I tune with the WB).
I agree. To tune with a wide band you will be using "a/f error", the pcm "knows" what a/f it is commanding at all times whether it is 14.68 or 10.5. There is just no way for the pcm to verify this out side the realm of stoichiometric. The wide band allows this info to be shown in via offset or A/F error......
Old 11-26-2010, 10:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have followed the AutoVE tutorial, and I still can't get it nailed down (I have actually been trying to do this for months). When you are in AutoVE you are trying to hit all your cells, so you will be in boost at times. You are trying to obtain the exact VE of your engine. The trims are disabled, so you are setting everything at stoich. The tutorial has you set all PE fueling to stoich. When I run the AutoVE my AFR is running right near 14.68. Is there an area that I am overlooking where I can request an AFR? How does the computer know to add fuel when everything designed to add fuel is disabled for tuning. And better yet when I end up hooking the wideband how do the stock O2's recognize an AFR outside of stoich if the only recognize stoich? Another thing is I am running meth. I can't find anywhere if I can run my meth while tuning? I have retarded the timing quite a bit, and it is still pulling more. I would like to run it if I can, but I would think you shouldn't.

Last edited by Gadgetized; 11-26-2010 at 11:02 AM.
Old 11-27-2010, 09:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

think of meth as a band-aid...it works but is no subsitute for good fuel supply.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:59 AM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gadgetized
The trims are disabled, so you are setting everything at stoich. The tutorial has you set all PE fueling to stoich. When I run the AutoVE my AFR is running right near 14.68. Is there an area that I am overlooking where I can request an AFR?
In HPTuners the table is called EQ ratio. It should be near the trim option windows under fuel control. Not sure what efi calls it though, and you should not run into boost AT ALL with out some time of enrichment!!!!!!
Old 11-27-2010, 12:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would recommend moving to COS 3 and doing the ve. Just set the fueling table up how you like it, and meth can be taken into account no problem in the VE. Or at least thats how ive done mine in the past, but I stay OLSD year round. I use PE right at 100kpa to richen it up past 12.5ish