Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

missing under load, backfires, popping

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 10:17 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

valve spring, lifter, pushrod or combo of all three...IMO
had similar issues recently...
power seemed like it was weakening...
passenger side started making noise then started backfiring...thru intake though...
had been running extremely rich for a while with no signs of it on the wideband...which happens to be mounted on driver side of y-pipe...signs of richness were lower power, black smoke @ WOT and black soot on driveway every morning after cranking...
passenger side had one pushrod beat down about 1/4", a stuck lifter and a few lifters with flat spots on the rollers...
the driver side, that was not noticeably making any noise, had two broken valve springs and similar lifter rollers.

about 63k on motor...springs had more than that...bought the heads used w/ springs...

Last edited by Superado; 08-24-2011 at 03:14 PM.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:44 PM
Notorious BIG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, well, the verdict is in (kinda) lol.

I think the problem was the valve springs. I took the time this weekend and finally changed them out even though i was pretty sure it was not going to fix the problem seeing that visually, the comp 918's (new version) looked fine. I broke down and bought a set of PRC double springs that cost me right around $300 with shipping. After my wife royally chewed my *** out about spending the money i decided if this did not fix it i was going to throw in the towel for this season. Anyways, i spent the a couple hours on sat and the majority of the day sunday swapping them out. Didn't run into any problems at all, the hardest part was getting the air compressor adaptor/fitting screwed into the spark plug holes. Didn't even drop a single "keeper". Below are a few pics i took, not really sure why i took them, but you can see the difference between old springs and the new ones. Although, the old springs are really not that old, less than 10k miles on them.

Went out for a test drive after letting it warm up a few mins. FIrst thing i noticed is that these new springs are LOUD. MUCH louder than the comps. I drove around easy for about 10mins or so than eased into the throttle. No misfire. Went into the throttle a little harder, still no misfire. I took it WOT up to about 120MPH letting is shift through the gears. NO MISFIRE.

I don't know what to say here. I'm pretty disappointed in the comp springs at this point. My cam is not big by any means and these springs should have been fine. I'm still not convinced that fixed ALL my problems though.

I still have a top-end hesitation that has been there ever since my truck was rebuilt back in 2008. Its very slight and hardly notieable by anyone other than me, but i'm certains its adding a tenth or two off my 1/4 mile times. I always used to think it was a fuel pressure issue. But thats not the case

Anyways i'm happy for now and the truck seems to be running well. Now time to start troubleshooting my N20 that has been installed for two years and has yet to work lol.

Name:  IMG_4268.jpg
Views: 1041
Size:  119.2 KB
Name:  IMG_4269.jpg
Views: 1050
Size:  169.4 KB
Name:  IMG_4271.jpg
Views: 1032
Size:  123.4 KB
Old 09-19-2011, 01:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm glad you got it figured out.
Old 09-19-2011, 02:12 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Well, I'd like to say, "I KNOW'D IT!"
But I really didn't...
I just knew that your symptoms sounded awfully familiar to mine.
Glad you can stop racking your brain now!
Old 09-19-2011, 09:24 PM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great job Holt man!!
Relieved that you were able to make sense of it and get it sorted out. Hopefully the wife understands now that you actually fixed the problem!
Old 09-19-2011, 11:37 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Glad it's working, and hope it stays fixed! Congrats!
Old 09-21-2011, 03:00 PM
Fastest D1 Procharged Truck

My buddy had almost the same problem with his truck and it ended up being the valve springs and they were comps what a surprise happy to see you figured it out
Old 09-21-2011, 03:19 PM
Notorious BIG

Originally Posted by twolow02fransen
My buddy had almost the same problem with his truck and it ended up being the valve springs and they were comps what a surprise happy to see you figured it out
WHERE THE HELL HAVE YOU BEEN WITH THAT INFO?????!!!!!!

Old 09-21-2011, 03:22 PM
11 Second Truck Club

btw Holty...I went w/ the PRC .675 dual springs this time as well...
Old 09-21-2011, 03:25 PM
Notorious BIG

Originally Posted by Superado
btw Holty...I went w/ the PRC .675 dual springs this time as well...
As Kooner would say: FABO Comp Cams valve springs!

I was a little perplexed when i went to install them because the spring bases and valve seals were way different than what was with the Comp springs you run into the same problem?

Quick Reply: missing under load, backfires, popping