Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

My ALKYCONTROL tunning story.......

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 04:31 PM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My ALKYCONTROL tunning story.......

Well, when I first bought my STS kit I also installed an ALKYCONTROL meth set-up as well as a few other things. The pump for the alky kit started to leak after a month or so, I didn't really worry about it that much (put it on the "to-do list") Fast forward the end of the 5.3l I figured while the engine is out I'd seal up the leak, well turns out the housing is cracked. I tried to repair it being the tightwad that I am but it still leaked. No worries, I get meth cheap I thought.
I'm not the greatest tuner in the world, but I had such a hard time with my stupid truck. One day it was rich as hell. I'd lean it out, the next it was super lean. For the life of me I could not figure out why the hell the truck would change so much. The I tried to account for ambient temp changes. I also hated the fact that my truck would only handle about 10 deg adv. and I'd still get kr. from time to time. I've tuned quite a few other trucks (a few on this board) as well as a Radix equipped SSS. I did his tune in a matter of a few hours.
Well with my latest set of upgrades. The 05 front clip, 34" rad, 05 e-fans, removed MAF (tuning CLSD), relocation of the Intake sensor <--- That is the important one. I begain to retune. As I was looking at a few of my logs at WOT I realized my IAT temp was going from 70 deg down to 45 deg, I was thinking damn that methanol works good. Then it hit me I started check other logs.... sure enough. The logs I was way lean my IAT was climbing instead of falling like it should. When I was WAY rich the IAT was falling.
So I checked out the ALKYCONTROL pump. I hit the over ride button and could hear the pump work, I pulled the delivery side hose off and hit it again, NOTHING. DAMN.
E-mailed Julio, He said he could have taking care of me if I would have talked to him when it first started leaking (rather than me ripping the pump apart). I ordered a new pump. (At a killer deal) and installed it today.
I've already ran 12 deg advance and I'm now going to try 14*.
My IAT at WOT, they are at 45-50* EVERY time.
Julio also hooked me up with a new pressure module and LED. I can't say enough about the great service I have got from ALKYCONTROL. I just wished I'd figured this out a year ago. lol
Old 08-23-2006, 04:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you got it sorted out. I may be ordrering a new kit soon also.
Old 08-26-2006, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by quicksilverado
Glad you got it sorted out. I may be ordrering a new kit soon also.
Like I said, I am VERY happy with mine.
I just did a bit more tunning and logging. I think there is still some more timming left, I'm at 14* at WOT now.
I had Two people in the truck when I did a 4 wheel drive launch and ran it up to 80 mph. comparing that log to my log of the 13.1 run I'm .157 thousans slower, but I had at least 400 pounds more in the truck.
I'm thinking 12's this next friday night might be posable.......
Old 08-27-2006, 09:00 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

glad you figured it out now go get some 12 damnit
Old 08-27-2006, 10:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It is a great kit and great support. I have run into a tuning issue that I haven't found a work around for yet. Wonder if you will/have seen the same. Might be different with a turbo setup.

Spraying 100% meth, AFR went way rich at WOT obviously. With tuning I pulled fuel to get to 11.5 - 11.8 through 1st and 2nd gear. Problem is when I hit 3rd AFR then drops to 10.5. I can't tune it out. Anything I do to lean out third also leans out 1st and 2nd gear. Truck falls off a bit at the track when I hit 3rd. I do have some room to up my shift points, a 6500 rpm shift will carry me further through the 1/4 before hitting 3rd and might gain me a bit?
Old 08-27-2006, 01:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KySilverado
It is a great kit and great support. I have run into a tuning issue that I haven't found a work around for yet. Wonder if you will/have seen the same. Might be different with a turbo setup.

Spraying 100% meth, AFR went way rich at WOT obviously. With tuning I pulled fuel to get to 11.5 - 11.8 through 1st and 2nd gear. Problem is when I hit 3rd AFR then drops to 10.5. I can't tune it out. Anything I do to lean out third also leans out 1st and 2nd gear. Truck falls off a bit at the track when I hit 3rd. I do have some room to up my shift points, a 6500 rpm shift will carry me further through the 1/4 before hitting 3rd and might gain me a bit?
Mine does the same thing. 11.5 1st and 2nd than goes to 10.5 for 3rd. I guess it is better than going lean.
I am also looking for a fix to this
Mark
Old 08-27-2006, 03:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Are you guys running SD tunes?
Old 08-27-2006, 06:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by vanillagorilla
Are you guys running SD tunes?
I'm not. I know that is an option but don't want to go there.
Old 08-27-2006, 08:45 PM
TECH Veteran

A SD tune would eliminate you going rich, because fueling is not dependent on RPM when you're at WOT.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by vanillagorilla
A SD tune would eliminate you going rich, because fueling is not dependent on RPM when you're at WOT.
Yep just go SD, you will be happy you did once you start tunning A/F ratios.
My problem was some times the pump would work some times it wouldn't. You could imagine how hard that is to tune lol.

Quick Reply: My ALKYCONTROL tunning story.......