Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Need assistance with a blower tune

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 12:11 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Need assistance with a blower tune

Hey guys whats up...just installed a TVS 1900 on my silverado this weekend couldn't be happier since it sat in my spare bedroom collecting dust for the past year lol

The install went pretty smooth, took about 14 hours with the help of a buddy and a few bud lights . My engine is a stock 2008 5.3L, I decided to install the 3.7" pulley for low boost to start with, so I'm guessing around 5 psi with factory cam and manifolds. When I first fired it up I had a few DTCs, random misfire, injector driver circuit 6 fault, yada yada so I pulled the injector connector off and reconnected it and the misfire went away. Now i'm at the point of refining the tune cause i'm just itching to go WOT but don't want to chance anything just yet. I have a baseline tune from a tuner that loaded in the injector data and all that good stuff, now i'm ready to start tweaking with EFI live. I do have a wideband but haven't hooked it up to the scanner yet, and my boost gauge is not hooked up yet either, I'll get those done today.

I have some questions on tuning for a PD blower. I made a log on the drive to work today and noticed that it's pretty easy to go into boost with this beast, I would easily hit boost when barely laying into the throttle or going up overpasses with the converter locked. My AFR would only go to about mid 12s, so I'm sure I need to adjust the PE commanded fuel.

When at cruising rpm (around 2000) and getting into boost, do I need to try and achieve 11.7 afr? Should I aim for that no matter what the rpm, as long as I'm in boost? It was constantly going from CL to OL on the drive this morning, guess thats normal for a PD blower setup? If i'm constantly in OL, my mpg will take a hit while on the interstate.

What are your opinions on PE enable with a roots style blower? And should I set pe commanded fuel B3618 to 0.8 for all rpms? Thanks

Keith
Old 05-27-2013, 07:24 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you post up a log? and your tune? You can target a little leaner at low rpm boost (like .83 or .84) and ramp it down. When you say you are going into boost at cruise, how much boost? couple pounds?
Old 05-27-2013, 07:40 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not to jack this thread, but where in MD are you located BLK? Pm me if you like.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:56 PM
Launching!

Attached is a log done on the drive home. Still haven't hooked up the wideband but when I went WOT the afr actually went down to around 11.2 at around 4000rpm, I really gotta get that wideband hooked up. You think i'll hurt anything with AFRs in the high 12s with part throttle? As far as how much boost, i'm not sure I haven't had time to hook it up yet but I only have the 3.7" pulley so I don't think its much...she sure sounded good at WOT though

I'll get the tune up shortly. Thx!
Attached Files
File Type: efi
Baseline Tune with WOT.efi (164.5 KB, 89 views)

Last edited by KHester84; 05-27-2013 at 08:01 PM.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:22 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Should be fine with AFR's in the 12's at part throttle, even half. You def need to hook the WB up, the boost gauge, to get a idea, in stead of guessing.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:52 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 391 Likes on 261 Posts

I had my fuel set to be around 12.5 from 0-3psi then 11.5 over 3 psi.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:33 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mangled03gmc
Not to jack this thread, but where in MD are you located BLK? Pm me if you like.
Crofton
Old 05-28-2013, 07:42 PM
9 Second Club

Yeah, you really need to get the wideband hooked up to the EFILive so we can see AFR on the scan... Need the boost gauge too... never tune in the dark!

High 12's under even light boost is a bit lean and 11.2 is too rich - looks like you need to do a little work once you get everything hooked up...
Old 06-06-2013, 10:51 PM
Launching!

Alright guys, got another issue. I think my EVAP purge solenoid is staying stuck open for some reason, but the the cause and effect seems backwards...When I refueled the truck for the first time after the blower install, the truck ran like crap and was insanely rich for the first minute or two until the fuel trims pulled the afr back to 14.7. To test, if I have the truck idling at 14.7, I pull the fuel cap off, the AFRs immediately go to 10.0 and the truck stumbles then recovers as STFT and LTFTs reduce fuel. After the AFR settles down, when I install the cap back on, the AFRs go lean, then STFT/LTFT start adding fuel back in to correct the AFR.

If the purge solenoid is stuck open (I confirmed this by removing the line that goes to the tank and it constantly has vacuumm) shouldn't removing the gas cap create a vacuum leak, therefore showing up as lean instead of rich? I guess since it's fuel vapors, a large rush of vapors could cause the rich AFR... Logs are attached. Cheers
Attached Files
Fuel cap placed back on.efi (62.8 KB, 50 views)

Last edited by KHester84; 06-06-2013 at 11:01 PM.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:57 PM
9 Second Club

You sure you didn't get something flip-flopped when you put the blower on (and fuel pump in)? Seems as though it is pulling fuel through the purge line somehow -or maybe sucking through the vent line - when you take the cap off, it allows it to suck fuel (by letting air in to replace the fuel).

Quick Reply: Need assistance with a blower tune