Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Need a little help figuring out startup...

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 08:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a little help figuring out startup...

Question to you EFiLive users / gurus. My truck runs great and has no issues after it has warmed up so this is strictly related to that first early morning startup of the day...

When I start the truck I have to put my foot on the gas to hold idle. I have to leave it there about 10 seconds then after that it will hold its own. Any suggestions on where to start looking!?
Old 02-22-2011, 03:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here's my tun file incase theres any ideas...
Attached Files
Old 02-22-2011, 03:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Increase B4304 by 25%
Old 02-22-2011, 03:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok ill try that thanks...I wont have any results till my new exhaust system comes in. I will keep you posted though when i find out
Old 02-22-2011, 03:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

What size is your cam by the way? You've got a lot of fuel down low. Have you confirmed AFR at idle with a wideband?
Old 02-22-2011, 04:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

No wideband, cam is reverse split 222/219 .550 .547 116LSA
Old 02-22-2011, 04:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Nevermind increasing B4304 by 25% then. I thought you had a much bigger cam based on your 6600 shift points in a 6.2L.

Your current start up air flow is almost identical to mine with a 222/226 in a 6.0L and mine starts and idles flawlessly. I'd say your problem lies in the air to fuel mixture on startup.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Nevermind increasing B4304 by 25% then. I thought you had a much bigger cam based on your 6600 shift points in a 6.2L.

Your current start up air flow is almost identical to mine with a 222/226 in a 6.0L and mine starts and idles flawlessly. I'd say your problem lies in the air to fuel mixture on startup.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Damn, and im guessing the only way to really correct it is with WB since its in OL?
Old 02-22-2011, 04:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

I read some info on EFiLive Forum that I need to check/ try out still. Im wondering if my problem lies somewhere in the tuning they mentioned...

"
Here is my best guess as to where to go.

1. Log IAC counts. When the car is up to temp you want them around 60. They are affected by the outside temp so if it's cool outside say, 60*F they may be around 70-75. If they are higher than that you need to adjust the TB screw. Turn ignitioin off. Open the TB a little by adjusting the TB screw. Unplug TPS sensor connection. Turn ignition on for 60 sec. Turn ignition off for 5 sec. Plug TPS sensor back in. This resets the physical TPS position to 0%. Sounds about right. Adjust set screw to get IAC counts in line. Then perform a tps reset.

2. Log dynamic airflow (DYNAIR) and Desired Idle Airflow (IACDES_B) (note both are in g/sec). If they are not equal you will need to shift the IAC Effective Area Table {B4403} to the right. The reason here is you have moved the stock "closed" position of the TB. You have opened it so now you will be telling the PCM you have opened the TB by moving this table to the right. No. There's no need to touch this table really. The IAC is a valve that acts independently of the TB blade. The values in this table are additional grams/sec of airflow that are added per IAC step.

3. Correctly setup Desired Airflow table {B4307} by logging RAFIG and RAFPN using 2 distict maps. Basically just set up the two maps to look exactly like the {B4307} Desired Airflow table. Setting ECT as the row and columns. Perform a copy and past labels into the row and column labels. Doing so should put ", Value" in for the column heading and the rows heading will be set up correctly as well. RAFxx will be the data parameter. After logging you will multiply with a factor back into the actual table. There is some talk about only using part of the data. I'm a little foggy on this and haven't gotten there yet. Close. The values you log are added/subtracted to the Desired Airflow table...not multiplied. They are the sum of your long term and short term idle trims in grams/second.

4. Use bidirectional controls to adjust the spark timing until you reach the highest manifold vacuum you can obtain. I noted that once I got to around 28* it idled noticably better. If I continued to increase timing above 28* the manifold vacuum stayed the same or began to decrease. Adjust Base Spark in Gear {B5932} and Base Spark in Park/Neutral {B5933} to reflect the timing you achieve in above. Some people like to have the tables equal to each other. Personally, I think autos don't require the same timing to idle in P/N vs. In Gear. But, I do have some limits to my experience. Either way, 28~29* is a good number.

Personally I'm having an issue where my timing is around 20* even though my tables are set to 28*. I tried logging from a cold start tonight and accidentally missed setting up the correct precision on several of my maps along with forgetting to set up several pids. So I'm allowing the car to cool and I'll try again.If you saved the log, you can adjust the data precision in the map setup table. You don't have to log again. The .pids that were left out on the other hand is a different story. It won't log it if it's not selected.
Once you get through the above, the remainder of driveability is in the high/low octane table and IAC airflow tables (Throttle Cracker/Follower, Learned Airflow, Filtered Airflow, and Direct Airflow under Idle>Learning). As for the timing discrepency on cold starts....check B5901/B5902 (active between 33*F~121*F in my stock tune) and B5910/B5944 (active above 150*F in my stock tune). These tables subtract timing in idle areas during colder engine coolant temp starts. "

Quick Reply: Need a little help figuring out startup...