Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Nelson Tune questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2005, 06:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nelson Tune questions

OK, after alot of research, I've decided to get an 89 Nelson custom tune. I have a couple questions about my truck's warranty and reliability however. If I take my truck to the dealership for warranty work, will the technicians notice the custom tune with their equipment? I ask this because Popular HotRodding magazine did an article about the Predator handheld programmer in an '05 Mustang GT. They said the OBD-II computer in the Mustang keeps a schedule of when the computer was accessed and changed. Is this true for the NBS GM trucks? If it is true, does a Nelson tuned PCM show the date it was tuned or the date my truck's stock PCM was originally flashed? Also, I plan on getting a 89 octane tune with the suggested amount of TM removed. Will this affect my truck's overall reliability? I plan on keeping my truck for a long time and I don't want to have any major, unscheduled maintenance issues in the future. How many miles have the Nelson tuned trucks at this website gone since getting a Nelson tune? Any info would be appreciated.
Old 07-10-2005, 07:41 AM
Formerly one92rs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

the stealership will not be able to actually see the tune. as for relaiability. that i believe is up to your right foot. not taking all tqm out is a good thing. unless certain steps are takin to help out the tranny. i would get the 89 tune now. nelson tunes are amoung the best. remember you get what you pay for and he is a sponser.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Have you ordered it yet?
Old 07-12-2005, 09:37 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nelson
Old 07-12-2005, 09:54 AM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On a stock truck you shouldn't have any issues. Nelson good choice
Old 07-13-2005, 02:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Nope, have not ordered it yet. I'm stuck in the desert for another 2 months.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:10 AM
Staging Lane

My Westers has a huge sticker on the top of it. Hopefully they pop the hood before re-programming.
Old 07-13-2005, 10:52 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jfree81762
My Westers has a huge sticker on the top of it. Hopefully they pop the hood before re-programming.
If your truck is still under Warr. Here is what I would do.

Kepp your factory stock PCM. Order a tuned PCM from the tuner of choice, Pay the CORE charge (if any) to get a new tuned PCM (keeping your original stock just incase)

Now when you get your tuned PCM, remove the cover (4 Torx head screws) and swap with your factory original. Put your tuned PCM in your truck. If you have a problem take it to the dealer, They will hook it up to the scanner but they will not see anything on screen to make them think its different. If they pop the hood and look (remember they have to remove the plastic shroud around the pcm) ALL THEY WILL SEE IS THE pcm WITH ALL OF THE FACTORY STICKERS AND SERIAL NUMBERS.

I think people are putting to much fear into this. People at the dealership don't have time to search for something that they can not make a judgement call on anyways.
Old 07-15-2005, 05:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

BTW, the dragstrip near moncks corner is under new ownership and from what it appears they are serious about the place. Here is the link http://www.lowcountrydragway.com/

Its only an 1/8 mile track, but it is the closest one.
Old 07-17-2005, 08:05 PM
Teching In

I just swap in the factory PCM whenever I take it for warranty work, wh en I get it back, I swap the Nelson's back in.

That way I don't risk loosing a $600 tune.

Quick Reply: Nelson Tune questions