Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

New Converter, what to change in tune????

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 10:54 PM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Default New Converter, what to change in tune????

I just got my converter installed today, thanks to Built408(Chase)!!! It is a 2800 Performabuilt 9.5 converter... The converter is pretty loose, I am going to start working on my tune tomorrow hopefully.... Just trying to see what the rest of you guys had to do...

The Good:
The truck freaking moves really good now!!!! IMO and Built408's it stalls higher than 2800... Part throttle it stays in the power band!!! 4th gear lockup is nice and solid, TC stays locked with the cruise control on. Easily lights up the tires from a stop, which it never did before....

The Bad:
The 1->2 shift got really alot softer... Before it would give a pretty good jolt on the 1->2 shift at Part Throttle and WOT... At WOT I hit the fuel cutoff right before the shift... Idle needs some work cause it dies sometimes when coming to a stop, and it surges a little bit more...

These are a few of things that I am thinking about changing...

I lowered my 1->2 tranny pressures lower than stock before to keep the shift from not being so harsh, so I am going to put it back to stock and see how it feels, maybe raise some of the part throttle areas in all the gears... I am thinking the reason I hit the fuel cutoff was because of the lower tranny pressure, but I will raise it up some, just to be safe... I will redo the RAF tables (desired airflow, throttle cracker and follower) to help with the idle problem.... Also I plan on decreasing the idle over speed spark table and increase the idle underspeed spark table to get the idle a little bit more stable... IMO the decreased size and weight of the new converter the engine is alot more sensitive and reacts quicker... I might also lower the TC lockup speeds in 3rd and 4th so I am not cruising around with the TC unlocked at low speed...

Anyone think of some other things I need to change or log?
Old 10-08-2008, 11:03 PM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for asking.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:04 PM
Resident Retard

Originally Posted by viciousknid
Thanks for asking.
Sure I have never really seen a thread on what to do... ON here or EFI Live forum...
Old 10-08-2008, 11:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its kinda a personal thing..
with a looser stall i liked to raise my lockup speed so it wouldnt lock up and bog the engine.. kinda hard to explain.. but you will see what im talking about-

Say your cruising around at 20% throttle and your RPMs are at 2400 in 4th gear, then your converter locks up and drops your rpms down to 1400.. it bogs pretty good, so you have to give it a lil more throttle to unlock and get up to speed.

That was my issue with my Yank TT3000. With the stock 80E i just changed all the tables according to my Tires and 3.42s.. since it had 4.10s in the orginal tune.
They are pretty nice so far.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:12 PM
Resident Retard

Originally Posted by nonnieselman
with a looser stall i liked to raise my lockup speed so it wouldnt lock up and bog the engine.. kinda hard to explain.. but you will see what im talking about-

Say your cruising around at 20% throttle and your RPMs are at 2400 in 4th gear, then your converter locks up and drops your rpms down to 1400.. it bogs pretty good, so you have to give it a lil more throttle to unlock and get up to speed.

That was my issue with my Yank TT3000. With the stock 80E i just changed all the tables according to my Tires and 3.42s.. since it had 4.10s in the orginal tune.

Yep I noticed it did that too, it is going to take a little getting used to, I need some more driving time..... Thanks for the tips...
Old 10-08-2008, 11:18 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The shift softening with the conver is normal, yep. I also set the converter lockup to a higher speed (50 in 4th) to prevent lugging.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So are you keeping the 220/220? I am awaiting track times!!!
not sure what to tell you about tuning im a newb
Old 10-08-2008, 11:33 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a feeling I'm still going to be faster... because you're not gonna get any traction now.

unless you go buy slicks and make traction bars before wednesday
Old 10-08-2008, 11:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
Yep I noticed it did that too, it is going to take a little getting used to, I need some more driving time..... Thanks for the tips...
Just go do some logging in your daily drive. Go back and watch them. You can fine tune it then!
Thats what i did.. Took awhile but now its almost perfect.
Old 10-09-2008, 12:05 AM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nonnieselman

Mine does that too ever since the install of the higher stall converter. I also seem to get a shutter when it happens but if I give it more gas then it scoots pretty good. How do I fix it?

Also, after the tc it does not shift as hard as it used to with the stock unit. It used to light up second pretty good but now I have to give it more gas to chirp from 1-2. I have the tow/haul set with more trans press to get firmer shifts for when I am feeling spirited or for a day at the track.

Quick Reply: New Converter, what to change in tune????