Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

NO more mail order tuning for me...

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2005, 07:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default NO more mail order tuning for me...

Okay... so I know ive been very vocal about Jesse's wait 4 me tunes and how great they are and how his customer service and shipping turn around is great... but ive really never had anything good to say about the tune itself... well bc ive never got to run his tune yet w/o a problem.... heres the story

Just recently (past 4-6 months) I have been having some type of problem which started way before any pcm swap of his... and it was the tps sensor code that i was getting. Beforeing figureing out my tps problem... I take the plunge and pay the cheap cheap price for a wait 4 me tune... in search of something better than Texas-speed and perfomance's tune. Well, im all gung ho about this and i put it in the second the mail man drops it off.

I do a simple key relearn, no codes(not even the tps code...yet), starts up, idles great... so i take it for a drive. No problems yet, but after driving on it for hardly 50 miles... it starts to surge between gears, starts to slip in and out of gear and my first thought was no it couldnt be the tune... it must be my newly built tranny...(not even a week old tranny yet)

so i check my fluid, sure enough its burnt to a chrisp... I brought it back over to the tranny shop.. but before this I changed the pcms, bc i didnt want them to think i casued the problem with a new computer... it was just a percaution... so i put the old pcm back in before it goes to the tranny shop. So, they tore it back down, built it back up and said it was great... i test drove it and the tranny was awesome.(keep in mind,this test drive being on the older pcm)

Came back home, that very nite and put the wait4me tune back in... took it out and immeditley started having the same problems. This time i was determined to figure out what it was... so i put the texas speed tune back in and guess what.. no tranny slipping what so ever, no surging and it ran great.

So now that i know it was something with the tune, Jesse says okay it must be a bad pcm.. i send it back to him and he gets me a new one... and says i might still have a problem untill i can get that tps code thing fixed... so i got the tune back maybe 3 weeks ago and just recently i fixed the tps code... no problems at all... about an hour ago i put his new tune in and guess what... i floor it and nothing happens.. its like im coasting... and than suddenly... it jumps into gear... eases into 2nd gear and slips all the way through 3rd gear.. i freak out and i turn around and go home... and heres the kicker.. i check my tranny fluid and yep def. smells slighty burnt and its a brownish-red color... i wish i would have took a picture of the before and after of the tranny fluid color.. bc theres a distinct difference.

So i'm at a point where i dont wanna call jesse about it bc hes done enough (sending me 2 diff. pcms tuned 3 diff ways in the past few months)... i'm just going to take it as a $157 wake up call (ie, you get what you pay for)... i'll be getting on a dyno as of next week and get both my pcm's tuned so i can have a back up one... i'm just fustruated at this point.
Old 11-04-2005, 07:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

buy hptuners and make sure the second licsense is for a 00 haha. sorry to hear about that. where you going to get on a dyno at? hope this works out for you
Old 11-04-2005, 08:04 PM
TECH Veteran

I feel for you man!! I too smoked my trans on what I thought at the time to be the tune. I later found out it had to be a bad PCM because all the following tunes from Nelson were good. I never had a problem since then!! EVER! Allen gave me support beyond the norm and still does.
My trans would have went sooner or later, it just turned out to be sooner for me.
You do get what you pay for, I will be going to HP Tuners soon myself. You just can't get all the power out of your set up will a mail order tune. Everyone including the guys doing them knows it and will admit it.
Allen has already offered to send tunes back and forth with him as soon as I go to HP Tuners. Great guy IMO.
They have to tune you on the safe side so you don't end up smoking your motor along with your trans.
Good luck in the future!!
Old 11-04-2005, 08:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by fogle04
buy hptuners and make sure the second licsense is for a 00 haha. sorry to hear about that. where you going to get on a dyno at? hope this works out for you
I've been in contact with that MTI place in marietta... they are pretty expensive tho...

and thx for the support TG02Z71... i think i might take the plunge and get hptuners instead of a dyno tune (or both maybe).. i just really gotta find time to learn all the ins and outs of tuning and little by little i guess i'll know more and more... i just wish everything was a quick fix, but its not, lol.

i'm gonna need another job here soon
Old 11-04-2005, 08:45 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Guess you can take the wait4me tune link out of your sig

Sorry that happened to you man but you will be happier with the dyno tune or HPT.
Old 11-04-2005, 09:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Best lessons are the hard ones it took me a full 1000 dollars to learn that if I wanted my engine to run the right way then Ive got to do it myself. HPT is by far the best mod Ive ever done and its taught me alot. Thats why I urge almost emplore anyone who posts about what to get for tuning to buy HPT and take the time to learn it.
Old 11-05-2005, 08:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Did you do a CASE Learn proceedure when you put the new PCM in the truck. If the crank position sensor is not correcly aligned then you can have problems with a new tune, regardless of who did the tune.
Old 11-05-2005, 03:08 PM
TECH Junkie

On this last pcm, no... however, it was having the same problems it had before with the other ones he has sent me. A matter of fact its consitently got worse over the course of me sending it back and forth... the first pcm it was every once in a while it would surge/slip and not take off or shift early... he retuned it and tried to figure out what was wrong, and the sympotms got a little worse... than he changed pcms and now the problem is instant, so i'll just go with hptuners here when i get enough cash.
Old 11-05-2005, 08:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SSlow 4.8
On this last pcm, no... however, it was having the same problems it had before with the other ones he has sent me. A matter of fact its consitently got worse over the course of me sending it back and forth... the first pcm it was every once in a while it would surge/slip and not take off or shift early... he retuned it and tried to figure out what was wrong, and the sympotms got a little worse... than he changed pcms and now the problem is instant, so i'll just go with hptuners here when i get enough cash.
I see you are located just NE of Atlanta. Might I recommend Gomer. he is in Albertville, AL which is about 3 hrs from you. I am extremely pleased with his tuning and his service. He does unlimited tunes for $250 with HPT. He does the tuning for 2bseen as well. He may meet you part of the way. Check him out and tell him I sent you. Gen3performance.net
Old 11-06-2005, 10:24 AM
TECH Junkie

thts awesome.. thanks, i'll check him out.

Quick Reply: NO more mail order tuning for me...